SWAC Realignment 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the division set up and hope it remains with an 8 game conference mandate. The only thing I would change is the way the championship game is constructed. 1) Best two teams (any division). 2) The first tiebreaker with a division matchup #1 priority then go through the remaining tie-breaking criteria (if needed) until two teams are left.

I personally think EAST-WEST makes it more exciting but Im willing to go with either. No sense in having divisions if you go that route tho. We would do better using the MEAC method.

Well Dr McClelland spoke on BCSN yesterday and said a committee is being headed by the Bama St AD to go over all the scenerios for realignment. He also said some teams may decide to play some conference schools as ooc games when those schools arn't on their schedule, I totally disagree wiith this stance.

I think you would have to go to a 5-3 football schedule with either a complete swap every 2 years or just rotate a team in and off every year.

NOW having 8 conference games makes sense. Being a 10 team conference with EIGHT conference games was dumb and dumber. While I DO agree with scheduling to help out the Tx and FL schools, I dont agree with permanent opponents AT ALL. There is simply no fair way to do it and the school that gets stuck with someone like AAMU or Valley will be mad.

At the end of the day, if fans and schools want to play certain schools that will create huge tickets at the Gates , why wouldn’t they play. This is a busines.
We will play Alcorn and Jackson every year if they are willing to play regardless of SWAC schedule.

It cheapens the conference and it makes your AD's lazy. Why not play some real OOC games against some real opponents (not the VUL's)

It cheapens the conference and it makes your AD's lazy. Why not play some real OOC games against some real opponents (not the VUL's)

I dont think it makes our ADs look lazy if it's what the fans want. Now if PV plays AAMU or Valley, yeah THAT'S LAZY but if for some strange reason, there was a scenerio where GSU and PV ended up in different divisions, you think the game in Dallas should go away?

I am all for good schedules. I dont agree with playing FBS schools and the UVLs but nothing is wrong with scheduling a conference foe if that game will make money. If JSU can play SU, but chose to play Samford, that would just not be smart. The same applies when moving home games. If it makes sense to move a game, move it. If not, why are we moving them?

I honestly dont care which division JSU gets in but there are pros and cons to both. However, JSU IS THE EAST so its only right that we stay there.

I dont think it makes our ADs look lazy if it's what the fans want. Now if PV plays AAMU or Valley, yeah THAT'S LAZY but if for some strange reason, there was a scenerio where GSU and PV ended up in different divisions, you think the game in Dallas should go away?

The State Fair Classic has been around since 1925 and Prairie View A&M has played in it since 1929. With the exception of 1990 & 1991, the game is Prairie View A&M's no matter who we play in it. grambling didn't start playing there regularly until 1985 (although we did play them there for a couple of years prior but it wasn't the SFC game). So, No our game in Dallas in the SFC wouldn't go no where no matter who we play in it.

I believe Alcorn will be in the West so you have 50% done.
I can also see a scenario where Valley is in the west but not as highly likely. That way each division has inter-divison rivalry. East - Alcorn/JSU, AAMU/ASU, FAMU/B-CU. West - GSU/SU, MVSU/UAPB, PVAMU/TSU.

I personally think EAST-WEST makes it more exciting but Im willing to go with either. No sense in having divisions if you go that route tho. We would do better using the MEAC method.

It's a moot point now. We have 12 teams and the East/West format should remain similar. The post was prior to the addition of BCU.

My picks for permanent rivals:

A&M: State, FAMU
State: A&M, FAMU
Alcorn: Jackson, Southern
Jackson: Alcorn, Valley
FAMU: State, A&M
Valley: Jackson, UAPB
Southern: Alcorn, Grambling
Grambling: Southern, Prairie View
Prairie View: Grambling, sTu
sTu: Prairie View, UAPB
UAPB: Valley, sTu
Take Alcorn off. Our rivals are Grambling, FAMU, and JSU.

We could always give each school 2 permanent cross division rivals with the 3rd cross division opponent rotating every year between the other 4 schools in the opposite division while keeping an 8 game conference schedule. This is an example assuming Alcorn goes west.

Bama St(TSU and PV)
AAMU(PV and TSU)
Alcorn(JSU and Valley)
BCU(GSU and UAPB)
FAMU(SU and GSU)
GSU(FAMU and BCU)
JSU(Alcorn and SU)
Valley(Alcorn and UAPB)
PV(AAMU and Bama St)
SU(JSU and FAMU)
TSU(Bama St and AAMU)
UAPB(Valley and BCU)

Probably the easiest thing to do is take three from the West and have them play three from the East ... then rotate another group of three after two years ...

Example

Southern, PV and UAPB would play FAMU, Alabama St and Jackson St in conference in 2021 and 2022 ...
Grambling, Valley and Texas Southern would play BCU, AAMU and Alcorn in 2021 and 2022
---
then Southern, PV and UAPB would play BCU, AAMU and Alcorn in conference in 2023 and 2024 ...
then Grambling, Valley and Texas Southern would play FAMU, Alabama St and Jackson St in conference in 2023 and 2024.

I think you would have to go to a 5-3 football schedule with either a complete swap every 2 years or just rotate a team in and off every year.

Probably the easiest thing to do is take three from the West and have them play three from the East ... then rotate another group of three after two years ...

Example

Southern, PV and UAPB would play FAMU, Alabama St and Jackson St in conference in 2021 and 2022 ...
Grambling, Valley and Texas Southern would play BCU, AAMU and Alcorn in 2021 and 2022
---
then Southern, PV and UAPB would play BCU, AAMU and Alcorn in conference in 2023 and 2024 ...
then Grambling, Valley and Texas Southern would play FAMU, Alabama St and Jackson St in conference in 2023 and 2024.

We always seem to be on the same accord with how to do these schedules as I basically said the same thing but I didn't assign the schools at the time.

Example

---
I understand what you guys are attempting, however the Commish will cater to the will of the universities and there constituents. Meaning, what’s best for the bottom line will rule the day! Those things you deem to be fair doesn’t necessarily pay the bills.

I understand what you guys are attempting, however the Commish will cater to the will of the universities and there constituents. Meaning, what’s best for the bottom line will rule the day!

I can still see the schools scheduling each other in non conference games, but I would like to see those games at neutral sites (if it makes the most financial sense for those involved).

We could always give each school 2 permanent cross division rivals with the 3rd cross division opponent rotating every year between the other 4 schools in the opposite division while keeping an 8 game conference schedule. This is an example assuming Alcorn goes west.

Bama St(TSU and PV)
AAMU(PV and TSU)
Alcorn(JSU and Valley)
BCU(GSU and UAPB)
FAMU(SU and GSU)
GSU(FAMU and BCU)
JSU(Alcorn and SU)
Valley(Alcorn and UAPB)
PV(AAMU and Bama St)
SU(JSU and FAMU)
TSU(Bama St and AAMU)
UAPB(Valley and BCU)

this isn't going to work.... Im sorry but I don't want to play PV and Texas So every year... it does absolutely nothing for either of our schools.... everyone is going to get who they want thus the reason it should just rotate.... if your rival rotate off then schedule then for a non conference game.

OK...now what with BCU? I say Valley and J-State to West to keep some sort of balance. Both can have Alcorn and a FL team each for cross rivals.
balance? teams in this conference have gone from worst to first... all but one have won championships in the past 20 years. Teams have ups and downs. You can't pick divisions off who hot now and who cold when that can all change in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back