SWAC Realignment 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can tell you, @atl hornet is not going to appreciate Bama State being considered a cupcake for PVU....ijs.....LOL

child please

who the hell is scared of PV?! we scheduled SU for homecoming this year that’s what we think of y’all..

Bama State only competition is ourselves!

You just get rid of the divisional format and go with the BIG10 model when they had 11 teams (after Penn St joined). They played a 8 game conference schedule with teams rotating their schedule. If they want to keep the SCG, you go with the top 2 teams at the end of the season playing for it.
Yep, I'm just reading this. And I said pretty much the same thing on Twitter earlier today. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the SWAC stays at 11 teams. All one has to do is remove the divisions and make the SCG between the 1st and 2nd place teams.

child please

who the hell is scared of PV?! we scheduled SU for homecoming this year that’s what we think of y’all..

Bama State only competition is ourselves!

Man, we know y'all trying to make money off of us. After two years of not playing y'all at all, you jumped at this chance. That gives you two big games in Montgomery.

Alcorn should move to the WEST but from what is circulating, Valley will move to the WEST if a 12th team is added.
I don't think that's fair to valley's budget. I want alcorn in the east but valley will have to bear a significant financial burden if they move.

Man, we know y'all trying to make money off of us. After two years of not playing y'all at all, you jumped at this chance. That gives you two big games in Montgomery.
In truth the SU game was going to be big anyway. they should have made valley homecoming since that game may draw flies.

You just get rid of the divisional format and go with the BIG10 model when they had 11 teams (after Penn St joined). They played a 8 game conference schedule with teams rotating their schedule. If they want to keep the SCG, you go with the top 2 teams at the end of the season playing for it.

I agree if we stay at eleven member institutions.

Our divisions are created to save money so what sense is it to remove the divisions... i hate slow people

After some searching I found this on the BIG10 schedule for football.

The Big Ten football schedule was set up with each team having two permanent matches within the conference, with the other eight teams in the conference rotating out of the schedule in pairs for two-year stints.

So they played their 2 rivals and 6 other teams in the conference and every 2 years you had the 2 teams that was not on the schedule rotate on and 2 others rotate off. The hard part would be who would basically be a schools 2nd rival team, the 1st is really easy.

In the BIG10 model there were some schools that did have the same permanent matches.

• Illinois: Indiana, Northwestern
  • Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
  • Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
  • Michigan: Michigan State, Ohio State
  • Michigan State: Michigan, Penn State
  • Minnesota: Iowa, Wisconsin
  • Northwestern: Illinois, Purdue
  • Ohio State: Michigan, Penn State
  • Penn State: Michigan State, Ohio State
  • Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
  • Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota

In SWAC, SU's 2 permanent matches would be Grambling and Jackson State. JSU's permanent matches would probably be Alcorn and SU/GSU/FAMU. Alabama State's permanent matches would probably be AAMU and FAMU. But in SWAC, it wouldn't really be fair because most of our games are not well attended as they are in the Big 10, leaving most schools to choose as permanent matches those schools that travel well. Most schools are going to want to play GSU, JSU, SU, FAMU, and AlSU. For football, schools that do not enjoy high fan support, such as TXSU, PV, UAPB, MVSU, AAMU would struggle to secure at least their second permanent match.

How is it saving money when you play 80% of the other division?

Which is why going to 8 games was also dumb but even with 8 games (and 11 teams) you even still have the option not to play 2 teams. That could factor big for a team like FAMU who dont want to play PV or go to UAPB or GSU for a closer home game. If we move to 12 teams, the option becomes 3 teams.

says the guy’s who’s school has been running from us the past 4 years

Yeah it is bad when a school decides to stop beating a certain team on a regular. Since Tuskegee continues to play y'all, y'all have a chance of evening the series record against them in 20 years. We (Southern) should at least give y'all a chance to even the series record against us in 40 years.

After some searching I found this on the BIG10 schedule for football.

The Big Ten football schedule was set up with each team having two permanent matches within the conference, with the other eight teams in the conference rotating out of the schedule in pairs for two-year stints.

So they played their 2 rivals and 6 other teams in the conference and every 2 years you had the 2 teams that was not on the schedule rotate on and 2 others rotate off. The hard part would be who would basically be a schools 2nd rival team, the 1st is really easy.

In the BIG10 model there were some schools that did have the same permanent matches.

• Illinois: Indiana, Northwestern
  • Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
  • Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
  • Michigan: Michigan State, Ohio State
  • Michigan State: Michigan, Penn State
  • Minnesota: Iowa, Wisconsin
  • Northwestern: Illinois, Purdue
  • Ohio State: Michigan, Penn State
  • Penn State: Michigan State, Ohio State
  • Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
  • Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota

My picks for permanent rivals:

A&M: State, FAMU
State: A&M, FAMU
Alcorn: Jackson, Southern
Jackson: Alcorn, Valley
FAMU: State, A&M
Valley: Jackson, UAPB
Southern: Alcorn, Grambling
Grambling: Southern, Prairie View
Prairie View: Grambling, sTu
sTu: Prairie View, UAPB
UAPB: Valley, sTu

Is the FAMU/Bama schools selection related to geography?

I was thinking more like this myself but with it like this:

AAMU - Bama ST, FAMU
Bama ST - AAMU, FAMU
Alcorn - JSU, Valley
FAMU - AAMU, Bama St
GSU - SU, PVAMU
JSU - Alcorn, Valley
PVAMU - TxSu, GSU
SU - GSU, JSU
TxSu - PVAMU, GSU
Valley - Alcorn, JSU
UAPB - MVSU, TxSu

Now after you get this the hard part would be choosing the first 6 other schools teams would play in year 1. After that the rotation could be set, but you're not gonna make everyone happy.

I was thinking more like this myself but with it like this:

AAMU - Bama ST, FAMU
Bama ST - AAMU, FAMU
Alcorn - JSU, Valley
FAMU - AAMU, Bama St
GSU - SU, PVAMU
JSU - Alcorn, Valley
PVAMU - TxSu, GSU
SU - GSU, JSU
TxSu - PVAMU, GSU
Valley - Alcorn, JSU
UAPB - MVSU, TxSu

Now after you get this the hard part would be choosing the first 6 other schools teams would play in year 1. After that the rotation could be set, but you're not gonna make everyone happy.

Your matchups don’t work, each team can have only 2 permanent games. You have JSU, TSU, GSU and MVSU playing three each. For example you have MVSU and TSU under UAPB, but don’t have UAPB listed under MVSU or TSU.

Close, but I seriously doubt UAPB would ever go for that, and JSU/SU would have conniptions as well. Who says we can't go with 4 permanent rivals?💡

(Unbiased & balanced format)
A&M: State, FAMU, JSU, UAPB
State: A&M, FAMU, Alcorn, MVSU
Alcorn: JSU, Grambling, State, sTu
Jackson: Alcorn, Southern, MVSU, A&M
FAMU: State, A&M, UAPB, sTu
Valley: JSU, UAPB, PVAMU, State
Southern: Grambling, JSU, UAPB, PVAMU
Grambling: Southern, PVAMU, Alcorn, sTu
Prairie View: Grambling, sTu, Southern, MVSU
sTu: PVAMU, FAMU, GSU, Alcorn
UAPB: FAMU, SU, MVSU, A&M

Your matchups don’t work, each team can have only 2 permanent games. You have JSU, TSU, GSU and MVSU playing three each. For example you have MVSU and TSU under UAPB, but don’t have UAPB listed under MVSU or TSU.

Yes it can work, look at the BIG10 examples and you will see how they did it. There are some schools that will have some form of the same permanent games.

I don't think FAMU would chose both Alabama schools as its permanent rivals. If a school could choose 2 permanent rivals, don't you think a school would choose an opponent who is going to bring a large contingent of fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back