SWAC Realignment 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your matchups don’t work, each team can have only 2 permanent games. You have JSU, TSU, GSU and MVSU playing three each. For example you have MVSU and TSU under UAPB, but don’t have UAPB listed under MVSU or TSU.

He is using the Big 10 model in which some schools would have the same permanent rivals.

As he said, some teams won't be happy but you gotta look out for what's best for the conference and not cater to a few schools. Even with FAMU coming to the conference, I don't think that SU would wanna roll JSU off the schedule and make FAMU their 2nd permament opponent. Everyone except FAMU would have at least one permanent big money game

I like the division set up and hope it remains with an 8 game conference mandate. The only thing I would change is the way the championship game is constructed. 1) Best two teams (any division). 2) The first tiebreaker with a division matchup #1 priority then go through the remaining tie-breaking criteria (if needed) until two teams are left.

Yes it can work, look at the BIG10 examples and you will see how they did it. There are some schools that will have some form of the same permanent games.

Of course the model works. I’m saying the matchups you listed were not aligned. Relook at your list. You made several discrepancies.

I don't think FAMU would chose both Alabama schools as its permanent rivals. If a school could choose 2 permanent rivals, don't you think a school would choose an opponent who is going to bring a large contingent of fans?

So who you’re you choose for FAMU? SU? Would y’all rather play Alcorn every year or FAMU?

I like the division set up and hope it remains with an 8 game conference mandate. The only thing I would change is the way the championship game is constructed. 1) Best two teams (any division). 2) The first tiebreaker with a division matchup #1 priority then go through the remaining tie-breaking criteria (if needed) until two teams are left.

If it’s the best two teams, why you need divisions. The matchups wouldn’t be balanced and you’ll have conference games that count for one team and not for the other.

He is using the Big 10 model in which some schools would have the same permanent rivals.

As he said, some teams won't be happy but you gotta look out for what's best for the conference and not cater to a few schools. Even with FAMU coming to the conference, I don't think that SU would wanna roll JSU off the schedule and make FAMU their 2nd permament opponent. Everyone except FAMU would have at least one permanent big money game
The model is good his list was just bad. Honestly SU folks will complain regardless because they have so many rivalries. They have to play Grambling, but they can only pick one out of Alcorn, Jackson and FAMU. Good news is even rotating opponents will play at least 6 times out of 8 years.

The model is good his list was just bad. Honestly SU folks will complain regardless because they have so many rivalries. They have to play Grambling, but they can only pick one out of Alcorn, Jackson and FAMU. Good news is even rotating opponents will play at least 6 times out of 8 years.

Big Dawg, If SU has 4 big rivalry games that attract huge numbers, why would the SWAC not want to keep those games in tact? Would it not be in the best interest of the whole conference to ensure those games happen?

Big Dawg, If SU has 4 big rivalry games that attract huge numbers, why would the SWAC not want to keep those games in tact? Would it not be in the best interest of the whole conference to ensure those games happen?

Yeah, but then you have to have 4 permanent games for everyone. That’s the trade off. It’s always going to be hard for the LA/MS schools because they’re in the center of the conference footprint and have rivalries in both divisions.

If it’s the best two teams, why you need divisions. The matchups wouldn’t be balanced and you’ll have conference games that count for one team and not for the other.

Simple, to mitigate travel cost. Your second statement is false. If you go back and read my post it states an "eight-game conference mandate."

Last edited:
Simple, to mitigate travel cost. Your second statement is false. If you go back and read my post it states an "eight-game conference mandate."

Let me break it down:
East: 6 teams playing, 5 divisional games and 3 cross division games.
West: 5 teams playing, 4 divisional games and 4 cross division games.

that’s a total of 18 cross division games for East team and a total of 20 cross division games for West teams. That means you’d have two more cross division games for West than in East, meaning two East teams will have to play west teams in games that count for the west team but not for the East team.

for example here would be the west cross division schedule:

PV: AAMU. AL STATE. FAMU. MVSU.
SU: AAMU. Alcorn. FAMU. MVSU.
GSU: AAMU. Alcorn. JSU. MVSU.
TSU: AL STATE, Alcorn. JSU. (???)
UAPB: AL STATE. FAMU. JSU. (???)

As you can see every East team has played 3 cross division games, in addition to 5 division games yet two West teams don’t have enough cross division games for 4 each without repeating.

Let me break it down:
East: 6 teams playing, 5 divisional games and 3 cross division games.
West: 5 teams playing, 4 divisional games and 4 cross division games.

that’s a total of 18 cross division games for East team and a total of 20 cross division games for West teams. That means you’d have two more cross division games for West than in East, meaning two East teams will have to play west teams in games that count for the west team but not for the East team.

for example here would be the west cross division schedule:

PV: AAMU. AL STATE. FAMU. MVSU.
SU: AAMU. Alcorn. FAMU. MVSU.
GSU: AAMU. Alcorn. JSU. MVSU.
TSU: AL STATE, Alcorn. JSU. (???)
UAPB: AL STATE. FAMU. JSU. (???)

As you can see every East team has played 3 cross division games, in addition to 5 division games yet two West teams don’t have enough cross division games for 4 each without repeating.

You are making this way more complex than it should be. There is not a monolithic answer. 8 conference games = 8 conference games regardless of what division it comes from. The number 1 priority should be mitigating costs. The 1 extra division team (Alcorn being the likely priority candidate) can swing from 1 division to another within an allotted time frame just as teams revolve on and off schedules.

Last edited:
You are making this way more complex than it should be. There is not a monolithic answer. 8 conference games = 8 conference games regardless of what division it comes from. The number 1 priority should be mitigating costs. The 1 extra division team (Alcorn being the likely priority candidate) can swing from 1 division to another within an allotted time frame just as teams revolve on and off schedules.

Dude, I’m simply showing you that your model doesn’t work. If you have 8 conference games with 11 teams and divisions you will have cross division games that count for some teams and not others. Flipping Alcorn back and forth between divisions doesn’t solve this problem. You will always have one division with 5 and one with 6.

The other alternative is to do away with divisions and instead have a specified number of permanent opponents like others have suggested above.

Dude, I’m simply showing you that your model doesn’t work. If you have 8 conference games with 11 teams and divisions you will have cross division games that count for some teams and not others. Flipping Alcorn back and forth between divisions doesn’t solve this problem. You will always have one division with 5 and one with 6.

The other alternative is to do away with divisions and instead have a specified number of permanent opponents like others have suggested above.

My model works, you simply don't comprehend it or delusional thinking you have the only answer. Again there is not a monolithic answer and there will never be a 100% agreement on the potential model. Do you....

My model works, you simply don't comprehend it or delusional thinking you have the only answer. Again there is not a monolithic answer and there will never be a 100% agreement on the potential model. Do you....

Please show us how your model works. You are correct we won’t have agreement on a potential model.

My only point of contention is that the model you proposed would require conference games that count for some teams and not others. You said that was false and I showed you above why it is true.

Please demonstrate how your model (11-teams, 2-divisions, 8-conference games) works without teams playing each other twice or conference games that count only for 1 team. Waiting on receipts.

OK...now what with BCU? I say Valley and J-State to West to keep some sort of balance. Both can have Alcorn and a FL team each for cross rivals.

If I had my "rathers", I'd love to see Langston come to the SWAC (West). That way the both of the original SWAC divisions would remain where they are without having to "re-locate".

~sighs~

I'm not good at this sorta stuff, but geographically, MVSU is the closest Eastern Division school to UAPB and probably the closest to the rest of the West. It would seem more logical, if necessary, to move them to the West. But I don't know how the SWAC will determine the re-classification of our Divisions (if it's by location, rank).

If I had my "rathers", I'd love to see Langston come to the SWAC (West). That way the both of the original SWAC divisions would remain where they are without having to "re-locate".

~sighs~

I'm not good at this sorta stuff, but geographically, MVSU is the closest Eastern Division school to UAPB and probably the closest to the rest of the West. It would seem more logical, if necessary, to move them to the West. But I don't know how the SWAC will determine the re-classification of our Divisions (if it's by location, rank).
MVSU is closest to UAPB and that’s the only one. Alcorn is closest to the others.

~sighs~

Valley is within 2-4 hours of 3 SWAC West schools but Alcorn is closer being further south and on the Mississippi River

Well Dr McClelland spoke on BCSN yesterday and said a committee is being headed by the Bama St AD to go over all the scenerios for realignment. He also said some teams may decide to play some conference schools as ooc games when those schools arn't on their schedule, I totally disagree wiith this stance.

I think you would have to go to a 5-3 football schedule with either a complete swap every 2 years or just rotate a team in and off every year.

Well Dr McClelland spoke on BCSN yesterday and said a committee is being headed by the Bama St AD to go over all the scenerios for realignment. He also said some teams may decide to play some conference schools as ooc games when those schools arn't on their schedule, I totally disagree wiith this stance.

I think you would have to go to a 5-3 football schedule with either a complete swap every 2 years or just rotate a team in and off every year.
At the end of the day, if fans and schools want to play certain schools that will create huge tickets at the Gates , why wouldn’t they play. This is a busines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back