NC A&T will leave MEAC for Big South Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one consultant on their team from an HBCU

Let's be honest... with the leadership issues that have touched MOST HBCUs, is this a bad thing?

Look at the bullsnit going on at Texas Southern, SCSU, Bethune, FAMU athletics.... sometimes you need a different perspective.

A&T has thrived in many aspects under their current leadership. But some of us want to second guess this about this for our own personal reasons.

You either grow and progress or DIE.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This is a 2012 article, how are you gonna go by that in 2020?

I'm sure the MEAC will take a drastic hit now that NCA&T has left. The MEAC will probably be right there at the bottom with the SWAC again.

I don't trust yall uppity folks

Well...look at it this way, if we join the SWAC, you won’t have worry about losing to Alcorn in the title game every year...

And we know how to beat the MEAC teams...it’d be a win-win for us all LOL

Let's be honest... with the leadership issues that have touched MOST HBCUs, is this a bad thing?

Look at the bullsnit going on at Texas Southern, SCSU, Bethune, FAMU athletics.... sometimes you need a different perspective.

A&T has thrived in many aspects under their current leadership. But some of us want to second guess this about this for our own personal reasons.

Your best sermon to date.

According to Commissioner Ted Gumbart, the plan is to grow to at least 18 teams. Once the that number is reached, it would split into two conferences. The ASUN would have 10-12 members and a group of eight would be known by a working title as the United Athletic Conference.
UNA would be a part of the United Athletic Conference and no longer play football in the Big South. The Lions would play all sports in the new conference along with Kennesaw State.
“It’s something we’re exploring,” Gumbart said in a phone interview. “We certainly want to see if the market will support it. And we have reason to believe that it has a chance. We want to go out and see if we can actually sign up the schools to do it.”
The idea, according to Gumbart, has been in place for some time. However, the actual work to get the plan in motion started in November 2019.
In order to expand, the ASUN will collaborate with the Collegiate Coastal Sports Association, a league that sponsors swimming and diving and beach volleyball.

I've been hearing/seeing a lot of chatter that the Big South and ASun may merge and form subdivisions based on regionality

The ASUN and Big South already had a deal that ASUN members that establish scholarship-granting football programs would automatically become Big South members.

I remember a lot of the crap that was said about us when we tried to rush our way to D1...

But it is a gamble for A&T...it’s hard to stay on top forever...

@FAM4lyfe it's most def a gamble for Aggie Pride ... they (and Hampton) should be lobbying for the Big South to poach their respective big rivals, Hampton and NC Central. That would soften the blow for NCAT.

@FAM4lyfe it's most def a gamble for Aggie Pride ... they (and Hampton) should be lobbying for the Big South to poach their respective big rivals, Hampton and NC Central. That would soften the blow for NCAT.

The NCCU game can be an annual OOC just like the MCC was before we joined the SWAC

-Big South has a better TV package than the MEAC and SWAC COMBINED.

11 of the Big South's members are in NC, SC or Virginia. The other 3 are in Northwest Alabama, North Georgia and New Jersey. And there is no guarantee that those 3 schools will remain in the Big South long term due to rumors of the Big South and Atlantic Sun merging.

I promise ya'll need to do your research and stop hating. A&T is doing what MOST D1 HBCUs should be doing... forcing more state funding and maximizing athletic revenue while lowering travel expenses. But we keep doing the same old BS and falling behind everybody else.

The MEAC has 2 schools that look to be going under and A&T is positioning itself to NOT have to be reactionary if other schools jump ship. Can't blame them at all

I let those "NOs" go w/ the easiest of ease. lol All know about the travel proximity between NCAT and the current big south members so that's a given. As for the other rhetoric regarding the tv contract, it appears as though the big south finally made it to the SWAC's and MEACs level, for the most part. Let us know when they have a marquee matchup broadcast over a nat'l station-OTA.

Also, I'd be careful w/ this. Sounds like you have some underlying desirous intent of wanting AAMU to leave the SWAC, imho. If that's true, why don't you do what is right and proper and take a straw poll right here in this medium, ASK a few legacy SWAC members here how they would feel about AAMU's departure. Those responses won't be shocking, I'm sure. lol ;)

The SWAC is at a Xroads where it is attempting to return its brand to its rightful place. If one's school isn't bolstering that brand, one simply shouldn't exist in it, imho. So, the question begs... what is YOUR school bringing to the SWAC table? Grambling St, SU, Alcorn St, and JSU folk need not respond. Yours is documented and substantiated.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I love the progress they are making. I hope they are very successful. I've admired their program from afar. It all starts with leadership. I think they have the recipe to be successful in the Big South.

I agree, I think they are doing what's best for them to move forward. I applaud their leadership and wish them well. All of our schools are not positioned to take that step, but I feel they did their due diligence.

-Big South has a better TV package than the MEAC and SWAC COMBINED.

11 of the Big South's members are in NC, SC or Virginia. The other 3 are in Northwest Alabama, North Georgia and New Jersey. And there is no guarantee that those 3 schools will remain in the Big South long term due to rumors of the Big South and Atlantic Sun merging.

I promise ya'll need to do your research and stop hating. A&T is doing what MOST D1 HBCUs should be doing... forcing more state funding and maximizing athletic revenue while lowering travel expenses. But we keep doing the same old BS and falling behind everybody else.

The MEAC has 2 schools that look to be going under and A&T is positioning itself to NOT have to be reactionary if other schools jump ship. Can't blame them at all

Lets be completely honest.

National TV exposure: Four MEAC football games in 2019 were shown live on ESPN2, ESPNU or ESPNews, including one A&T game, and five others were shown on a delayed basis on ESPNU. The Big South did not have any football games on those networks and, of course, the Aggies won’t be seen on any Celebration Bowl telecasts on ABC after the 2020 season.

Do your own math.

I wish them the best of luck. I see it as a lateral move though. It appears they will save money on non-revenue sports. If they as an institution believe it is best for them, the process was fair and is the general consensus of the populous of their family via the representation that was invited to the table in the decision-making process, so be it. What I disagree with are folks that are under the impression or imply that our brand is somehow diminished or less than by what NC A&T as an institution decided to do. If you don't like the SWAC, lobby your leadership to leave and get the hell on (same goes for the MEAC).

I wish them the best of luck. I see it as a lateral move though. It appears they will save money on non-revenue sports. If they as an institution believe it is best for them, the process was fair and is the general consensus of the populous of their family via the representation that was invited to the table in the decision-making process, so be it. What I disagree with are folks that are under the impression or imply that our brand is somehow diminished or less than by what NC A&T as an institution decided to do. If you don't like the SWAC, lobby your leadership to leave and get the hell on (same goes for the MEAC).

Ga'dammit boy you'd better PREACH the gospel! And don't let the door knob hit you on the way out.

Our 100th celebratory year is coming up this summer, ROCK. The SWAC is top-tier and has ALWAYS been top-tier, imho. The brand. The legacy. Respect it or get ran over by it. Choose wisely.

they play North Dakota State in a few months - that is a barometer game. If they get blown out the fallout socially will be ugly as they won’t have anyone on their side.

They had the best of both worlds. Their brand is already established.

You're right. NDSU is a barometer game. If they get blown out they know they have work to do. If it's competitive then they know they need to maintain while getting better. And going to the Big South helps them do that, not beating up on Alcorn every year. Now you can go into a recruit's home and tell him that he has the opportunity to play for a legit championship.

Plus every other year you can play Hampton for homecoming, and in the off years you can maybe get NC Central or a CIAA team for HC so they can have their fun with their distinct HBCU activities and culture.

I let those "NOs" go w/ the easiest of ease. lol All know about the travel proximity between NCAT and the current big south members so that's a given. As for the other rhetoric regarding the tv contract, it appears as though the big south finally made it to the SWAC's and MEACs level, for the most part. Let us know when they have a marquee matchup broadcast over a nat'l station-OTA.

Also, I'd be careful w/ this. Sounds like you have some underlying desirous intent of wanting AAMU to leave the SWAC, imho. If that's true, why don't you do what is right and proper and take a straw poll right here in this medium, ASK a few legacy SWAC members here how they would feel about AAMU's departure. Those responses won't be shocking, I'm sure. lol ;)

The SWAC is at a Xroads where it is attempting to return its brand to its rightful place. If one's school isn't bolstering that brand, one simply shouldn't exist in it, imho. So, the question begs... what is YOUR school bringing to the SWAC table? Grambling St, SU, Alcorn St, and JSU folk need not respond. Yours is documented and substantiated.

It's no dispute that the "old guard" SWAC never accepted AAMU nor ASU (and is trying its best to castoff one if it's own in MVSU but I digress). It's also no dispute that the SWAC has pretty much buried it's own historical legacy by engineering it's own mediocrity. When AAMU joined the SWAC, AAMU brought with it some of the most successful HBCU programs in Track and Field, Volleyball, Men's basketball and Men's soccer. AAMU was a D2 powerhouse with consistent success that has not been replicated before or since. AAMU boasted not one, but 2 Olympic gold medalists in Track, regular 25+ win seasons in mens basketball, and won not one, but TWO national championships in men's soccer. It also brought one of the newest football facilities and the 3rd largest city.

When AAMU came to the SWAC, AAMU was competitive against it's regional FCS PWI football programs like Jacksonville State and Troy State before Troy went FBS. If we're keeping it 100% funky, AAMU has suffered by being brought down by the rest of the SWAC. The "old guard" was content with being competitive against each other, and caused the conference to suffer under Duer Sharp by voting in lock step with low value, low return, bullsnit ideas. Remember, it was the "old guard" that wanted conference-killing ideas like moving conference title games to the 3rd largest city in the country. It was the "old guard" that wanted a 9 game conference schedule, so they could have weekly band battles during football games and talk snit on TSPN. It was the "old guard" that eventually bled out the SCG because they couldn't afford to travel to the SCG and the CB back to back. It is also the "old guard" that got dragged and mollywopped on NATIONAL television this past December. In 2019, AAMU was the ONLY SWAC TEAM to beat another FCS PWI after YEARS OF DROUGHT. Not Grambling...not Alcorn...Not Prairie View...and damn sure not Jackson State

For all AAMU's recent challenges, we NEVER fell as hard and long as many others. It should also be noted that the chairman of the Council of Presidents and Chancellors is AAMU's current president, who is actively supporting the new Commissioner in raising the profile of the conference. Because if the SWAC is going to be saved, it damn sure won't be because of the "old guard."

So all of this high and mightiness from programs that have brought national shame on the SWAC should probably cease and desist. It was NOT AAMU losing 100 straight football games over the span of a whole decade. It was NOT AAMU that became a headline story on ESPN over molded weight rooms and 30 hour 2-way bus trips. It was NOT AAMU that supported financially bleeding out the conference coffers by playing in NBA and NFL facilities.

So this pompus talk from the "old guard" about AAMU should probably stay in ya'lls pockets. Lest you get called to the carpet of your own bullsnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back