NC A&T will leave MEAC for Big South Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes: a MEAC poster on another board mentioned that the MEAC could always get NEW members.

Ummmm....like....WHO exactly???? Somebody please answer that for me.
And not Tuskegee, Morehouse, CAU, Fort Valley....the cost for Div2 to make that leap is a lot more expensive now.

Winston-Salem [CIAA] tried it and quickly did a u-turn....would they try it again?

The SWAC schools are too damn far to even consider it plus I think their fans would hate it.

Tennessee State AIN'T LEAVING THE OVC....soooo, WHO would be joining the meac?

Valdosta State? West Georgia? Who?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What about them 2 Alabama schools?

Maybe it's time for the Swac to expand into Florida and bring in FAMU and BCU.

That would be nice to see FAMU/BCU join us but I don't foresee it happening. And Alabama State and AAMU will lose more money going to the MEAC due to higher travel cost so they staying.

I wish the MEAC luck ... they lost 3 teams in 4 years

With NC A&T leaving this puts FCS level HBCU’s in a tough situation. I know there is going to be other moves but there is a lot of MEAC schools struggling right now. A&T needs a new challenge hell they have beat the SWAC so much over the last 5 years. A&T have grown so much from a school standpoint over the last few years. When you look at the SWAC vs MEAC in football the MEAC is better. Savannah State almost went broke by being in the MEAC and not the SWAC. Keep in mind that Edward Waters and Allen potentially joining the SIAC might push a team or two to try and make the jump

:rolleyes: a MEAC poster on another board mentioned that the MEAC could always get NEW members.

And not Tuskegee, Morehouse, CAU, Fort Valley....the cost for Div2 to make that leap is a lot more expensive now.

Winston-Salem [CIAA] tried it and quickly did a u-turn....would they try it again?

The SWAC schools are too damn far to even consider it plus I think their fans would hate it.

The CIAA and MEAC are basically brothers.s... Va State has BEEN ready to move up.

They can have Virginia Lynchburgh

This move is partially about travel expenses . In 2015 AD did a power point presentation showing we'd save a ton on travel costs by switching to BSC. At that time almost every game would have been within a 4 hr drive. The MEAC was basically warned to reduce travel costs or else.

Also this is a preemptive strike. There is huge concern that the conference will lose one or two members are financial issues. Lot going on that hasn't been printed.

This move is partially about travel expenses . In 2015 AD did a power point presentation showing we'd save a ton on travel costs by switching to BSC. At that time almost every game would have been within a 4 hr drive. The MEAC was basically warned to reduce travel costs or else.

Also this is a preemptive strike. There is huge concern that the conference will lose one or two members are financial issues. Lot going on that hasn't been printed.

Gonna be interesting to see the dominoes fall.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Or 2? I know BCU but who else? SCSU has reversed their fortunes since to get out of that huge financial hole they were in. I seriously doubt THAT was a deciding factor for such a major move.

not a good look for bcf.

At least A&T has realized that staying in an all Black comfort zone is not the answer for growth and development. But I don't think we need to leave our conferences to change our mentality. We need to become aggressive in our tactics and find individuals who can think for themselves instead of waiting to copy someone else's game plan. Right now, our programs are being run by individuals that are trapped in a tiny box and we as alums and fans need not to protect these individuals in the name of remaining exclusively Black.

SC State's enrollment has dipped to less than half of what it was.
They are having some serious problems over there and I feel for them.
Leadership or lackof has definitely got to be the problem.

Sometimes the Celebration Bowl isn't enough if you have bigger, long-term aspirations. Let's not forget that JSU's former AD Robert Braddy back in 2011 stated that JSU's limits may have been reached in the SWAC and actually spoke with The Clarion Ledger about JSU and that fact it should at least consider leaving the SWAC.

To grow you can't just stay stagnant. NCAT is a great school. Athletic programs top-notch, hell track program and facility one of the best in the nation. They are playing NDSU this year and making the jump to the Big South. They simply outgrew the MEAC.

Best Wishes! I’ve admired their athletics program over the past years. They’ve been the kings of HBCU athletics lately. I hope they carry that success over into that other conference. If the meac is about to crumble then I don’t blame them for getting the hell on.
It’s all bitter sweet! But I support the move.

Sometimes the Celebration Bowl isn't enough if you have bigger, long-term aspirations. Let's not forget that JSU's former AD Robert Braddy back in 2011 stated that JSU's limits may have been reached in the SWAC and actually spoke with The Clarion Ledger about JSU and that fact it should at least consider leaving the SWAC.

To grow you can't just stay stagnant. NCAT is a great school. Athletic programs top-notch, hell track program and facility one of the best in the nation. They are playing NDSU this year and making the jump to the Big South. They simply outgrew the MEAC.

Yeap, they outgrew their britches. If they continue to hire the right people I think they’ll have some success.

I think NCA&T and Hamptom are looking to go FBS in the future, but they figured it would be harder for them to do such in a stagnant HBCU conference. As I stated previously, we need to raise out of the level of stagnation.

What is it about the Big South Conference that makes it desirious? Who are its member institutions? Does it have a large TV congract? Does it enjoy larger attendance at its athletic functions than MEAC institutions? Are the member schools closer in proximity to A&T?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back