NC A&T will leave MEAC for Big South Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Just like Black Enterprise, Jet Magazine, Ebony.... We threw them away.... How sad!

The black business infrastructure among other things took a devastating blow with desegregation. I'll stop right here because I don't want to get too much off-topic however there is a price involved with change and it's not always a fair one. I do see the serious correlation in what you're saying......well coined!

From the BOT..If anyone wanted to see the reasoning...Which I feel is “Watered down”

Attachments

• 01F53BBF-65D6-4609-816B-6A9414F93869.jpeg
    01F53BBF-65D6-4609-816B-6A9414F93869.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 19
Just like Black Enterprise, Jet Magazine, Ebony.... We threw them away.... How sad!

All those Black publications you've named didn't merge with other Black institutions to become more diverse in their offerings. Remember John Johnson wouldn't join with Berry Gordy to create a multimedia behemoth when Gordy wanted to. These same publications also didn't embrace the Internet and social media in a timely fashion. Basically these publications rested on their laurels thinking their Black customers wouldn't abandon them much like the MEAC and SWAC. It's not Black folks responsibility to bail out Black businesses and institutions with no vision. Some of you all have no standard of excellence for Black people and institutions. That's why you think A&T and Hampton are wrong for leaving a mediocre conference that won't embrace change. I salute A&T and Hampton. No way should they remain tethered to a decrepit conference.

An this is why we have Donald Trump. I guarantee you that you can't name one white person, white institution or white business that seeks to integrate black like black people seek to integrate white. Instead of building our own to become stronger we seek to build white. White people don't seek to build legions for black people. Yet black people do.

All those Black publications you've named didn't merge with other Black institutions to become more diverse in their offerings. Remember John Johnson wouldn't join with Berry Gordy to create a multimedia behemoth when Gordy wanted to. These same publications also didn't embrace the Internet and social media in a timely fashion. Basically these publications rested on their laurels thinking their Black customers wouldn't abandon them much like the MEAC and SWAC. It's not Black folks responsibility to bail out Black businesses and institutions with no vision. Some of you all have no standard of excellence for Black people and institutions. That's why you think A&T and Hampton are wrong for leaving a mediocre conference that won't embrace change. I salute A&T and Hampton. No way should they remain tethered to a decrepit conference.

My only problem with what you typed, like Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, I think HBCU conferences can thrive on their own, but there must be a major shift in our business model. Right now, too many have gotten complacent on how things are done. We have to accept the fact that things are constantly changing. We don't need to join some PWC in order to keep the ball rolling. And if we get good at what we do, we can challenge them as a conference on the next level. Our problem is, we get too comfortable when things are good. No matter how good things get, we should alway continue to strive for something better, because others are not going to sit around and watch us gloat.

An this is why we have Donald Trump. I guarantee you that you can't name one white person, white institution or white business that seeks to integrate black like black people seek to integrate white. Instead of building our own to become stronger we seek to build white. White people don't seek to build legions for black people. Yet black people do.

The first thing we got to do is realize we aren't White and we don't have a community with the wealth that Whites have.

Second thing, get over integration. We took a loss. But, singing the blues everyday about what we lost won't change anything. A&T and Hampton are showing how to get over integration by being oriented towards the future and integrating. Not including sports, A&T and Hampton are two thriving HBCUs when many of them are barely making it and frankly some of them should close because they can't meet the needs of their students for lack of money. Only the strong survive.

What Donald Trump has to do with any of this is beyond me.

My only problem with what you typed, like Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, I think HBCU conferences can thrive on their own, but there must be a major shift in our business model. Right now, too many have gotten complacent on how things are done. We have to accept the fact that things are constantly changing. We don't need to join some PWC in order to keep the ball rolling. And if we get good at what we do, we can challenge them as a conference on the next level. Our problem is, we get too comfortable when things are good. No matter how good things get, we should alway continue to strive for something better, because others are not going to sit around and watch us gloat.

But, the problem is most HBCUs and the HBCU sports conferences have shown an unwillingness to change going back decades. Do you really think A&T and Hampton didn't try to come to a resolution and remain in the MEAC? I'm confident they did. Sometimes enough is enough.

All I see is Gentrification coming. Whenever the white man offers something like joining their conference it’s never in mutual interest he see an opportunity for himself. I get the benefits that A&T may get but it’s only a drop in the bucket compared to Mr. Charlie’s true intentions.

As @CEE DOG said, we don't make them wanna join the SWAC or MEAC, we run to them (the only exception is Chowan being in an HBCU conference)

I don't care how this sounds but I don't care. A&T, Hampton and any other MEAC school that runs to the Big South/A-Sun/United Athletic mega conference are some straight up raccoons rather than building up their own. With A&T, "diversifying" isn't something to be proud of compared to the original mission of ALL HBCUs

As @CEE DOG said, we don't make them wanna join the SWAC or MEAC, we run to them (the only exception is Chowan being in an HBCU conference)

I don't care how this sounds but I don't care. A&T, Hampton and any other MEAC school that runs to the Big South/A-Sun/United Athletic mega conference are some straight up raccoons rather than building up their own. With A&T, "diversifying" isn't something to be proud of compared to the original mission of ALL HBCUs

The real raccoons are Blacks who won't change and act as if they can continue business as it was conducted pre-Integration. These raccoons would rather sink all HBCUs than to accept change.

A&T can only do so much for the MEAC...With so many HBCUs struggling to stay afloat..you have to choose on wether to sink or swim..and we chose to swim. Every institution doesn’t have the same vision or timeline, so that would be unfair to force someone to lag behind because you are “comfortable”. It’s more than just “Black and White” and Unfortunately “Culture” doesn’t pay the bills. The thought of playing those schools does bore me to death tho..smh🥴

Our people are sick! Somehow in some of our people’s minds they believe that being associated with anything white gives some status. We would pay twice the value of a house to live next to them then just grin and buck dance so proud hoping other black people see them as if they should be the envy of the world yet want us to support when them crackers call the police on you for just walking down the street or check your mailbox. Look at how we just bray like donkeys when we see a white drum major or a white person pledge a Greek organization knowing damn well them white boys at Kappa sigma (or whatever they call their klan club) will never let your black ass come near their frat house unless you are there to clean it. A&T can do whatever they want but they better not think for one second they show up at a football game at one of them Big South schools and act out like they did at FAMU next year them white folks will give them a n***a wake up call real quick and remind them of their place.

All I see is Gentrification coming. Whenever the white man offers something like joining their conference it’s never in mutual interest he see an opportunity for himself. I get the benefits that A&T may get but it’s only a drop in the bucket compared to Mr. Charlie’s true intentions.

I promise you white folks dont want to take over or "gentrify" HBCUs. If they did, don't you think they would have done so already??

There are already PLENTY PWIs for white folks to choose from.

Last edited:

That's exactly what it is. Black folk would rather tread water as a collective than thrive individually.

What part of pro-blackness is that?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Don;'t be surprise if we see movement from a SWAC school to either move to another conference or be taken over by a state PWI. The financial struggles are real for HBCU's. Take a look at the buildings on our campuses. I have visited some SWAC schools that buildings that are either outdated or falling down. Props to A&T for being proactive and the vision to make change.

I was going to start another thread, But something that I have notice and thinking about..

NCAT was a growing institution, but the Celebration Bowl really started to push A&T enrollment up among other things... And the University seem to have a market tool to build upon the CB...But why hasn't the same thing happen at Alcorn.... Yes alot of money from the SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP & CB but enrollment is not even 4,000 and it is expected to drop.. They are NO where near what A&T has done.. Just a question??

That's not even CLOSE to the subject matter. We're talking about taking over schools and white washing history and rejecting black applications in favor of white...

This is development around campus. Do you want those areas dilapidated??

Wrong article give me a min

Some of y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. What responsibility does A&T have to any other institution (HBCU or PWI) but their own? They are doing what they feel is best for them. They don't owe the MEAC a thing. Neither do they need to insulate or dissociate themselves from the REAL world just so you can feel good about living in this HBCU bubble you've mentally created for yourselves. The only real loss to Black culture is when one of our HBCU institutions close their doors for good, due to mismanagement, lack of vision, stagnation, trying to be what others want them to be, existing outside of their means, etc.

It's time you started existing outside of your "bubble". That doesn't mean you're trying to join up with Dwight Folks. That means living in the 21st century and facing reality, and taking care of #1 first. We are competing for the best and the brightest students/athletes to matriculate on our campuses - in the classroom and on the field. My skin color doesn't dictate where I should live (MEAC), who I should interact with (HBCUs), nor what my future fate should behold. My competition isn't just against other HBCUs so I can be called "Black Harvard" or crowned as this mythical BCF champ. My competition IS Harvard and the top FCS teams. I owe no less to the students/alumni who chose my institution, and would be doing them a disservice if I wasn't trying to be the very best college or university that I could be.

NCA&TSU made a business decision regarding expenses that they feel works best for their athletics department. Expenses are a REAL thing when trying to compete on this level. And for as good as A&T is as a football team, athletics department, school, whatever - they can still be better. If the majority of the institutions in the MEAC were on their game, this probably wouldn't have happened... but don't expect me (or A&T for that matter) to hold myself back while you figure things out. They are a self-sustaining institution that does not need other HBCUs to survive. I hate to break it to you, but that is what the problem is with some of y'alls thinking. Yes, we (HBCUs) are in this thing together, but don't take that so literally. You are pigeonholing yourself if you think otherwise.

If your school couldn't exist without other HBCUs then you've probably been doing something wrong all these years. Take a second and really evaluate where you want your respective HBCU to be moving forward in the future. I want all of my HBCU brethren to succeed and be their very best scholasticaly and athletically. However, I choose to live in the real world and understand that there are levels to this that some others just ain't on.

Lastly, I just want to say that A&T will always be an H.B.C.U. no matter their conference affiliation. This move doesn't change or tarnish the legacies of HBCUs. It didn't when Tennessee State did it either.
Thus is change, and change can be good. I support A&T in stepping out.

I was going to start another thread, But something that I have notice and thinking about..

NCAT was a growing institution, but the Celebration Bowl really started to push A&T enrollment up among other things... And the University seem to have a market tool to build upon the CB...But why hasn't the same thing happen at Alcorn.... Yes alot of money from the SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP & CB but enrollment is not even 4,000 and it is expected to drop.. They are NO where near what A&T has done.. Just a question??

Leadership is the reason. Dr. Martin was building up A&T before the Celebration Bowl victories. Frankly, I think to even tie the success and larger enrollment he's brought to A&T on account of the Celebration Bowl does him a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back