Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2017-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Someone else is coming in and Little has 1 foot out the door as well. Our alumni are tired of him as well!

I don't see how this could happen. How can Little not be JSU's next director?

It was Sanford and it's a good thing! He should have BEEN gone!

Yall should have not have hired him. I guess the Queen still remembered him from her days at Norfolk. I figured his time was not long once she left. This just got him out sooner than later. Good for JSU. Yall got too many alums to be looking at other folks in my opinion. Too me, that's how bands loose their identity.

We aren't that bad off lmao! We have plenty of alumni that would do the job!

Yall still think Macgruder would come? I know they are paying him well up in NC. But I always thought he was the best choice for JSU back when Liddell was retiring.

Yall should have not have hired him. I guess the Queen still remembered him from her days at Norfolk. I figured his time was not long once she left. This just got him out sooner than later. Good for JSU. Yall got too many alums to be looking at other folks in my opinion. Too me, that's how bands loose their identity.
You nailed it JR

Yall still think Macgruder would come? I know they are paying him well up in NC. But I always thought he was the best choice for JSU back when Liddell was retiring.
Magruder is who i've been wanting but he said a few years ago, as you just stated, they are paying him extremely well!

Jackson State has fired it's director of bands.

O'Neill Sanford says he was fired Wednesday and he still can't believe it happened.

He is waiting to seek legal advice, and he's working to prepare an official statement that will be released soon.

Sanford served at JSU for 5 years, worked as a recruiter for the Department of Music for 3 years, and directed Sonic Boom for the past 2 years.

He was given a reason for being let go, but he is not prepared to release that right now.

Sanford served as a visiting assistant professor of music, principal recruiter for the department of music and director of bands for the University.

According to his bio, he became a music educator in 1965.

We are working to get more details on this developing story.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/3627...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

If this is true, JSU did right by letting him go. We can not have another FAMU situation. HBCUs can't afford allowing individuals who are not associated with the university to perform in their bands.

Also, from what I'm hearing, some theft took place at the hotel by individuals that aren't fully registered with the university. What I can't understand, what exactly can one steal out of a hotel room??? sheets??? towels???

O’Neill Sanford is out as the head of the Sonic Boom of The South, after the band reportedly brought dozens of members to a band event last week who were not fully registered with the school, sources tell HBCU Gameday.

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/09/01/jackson-state-fires-band-director/

Last edited:
If this is true, JSU did right by letting him go. We can not have another FAMU situation. HBCUs can't afford allowing individuals who are not associated with the university to perform in their bands.

Also, from what I'm hearing, some theft took place at the hotel by individuals that aren't fully registered with the university. What I can't understand, what exactly can one steal out of a hotel room??? sheets??? towels???
So where's the news clip of this "stealing"? Your word is fine, but I need to see verification.

So where's the news clip of this "stealing"? Your word is fine, but I need to see verification.

Those are not my words. I got it from that other message board from someone from North Carolina. Just a rumor.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
As a boom supporter, I think they need to blow the staff up over this summer and reach out to new alumni. Hollinger is not the answer. Though he is a great musician and director he's not the booms future. Little should've been named director of bands. He was Taylor's successor. Y'all should've saw the signs when this oniel guy took over. It sabotaged a lot in the program. If y'all can't tell, Little tends to really stay to himself with his own agenda and I would be concerned about him leaving because he has written a lot of good arrangements for jsu "fathers stretched hands", "kiss from a Rose" etc... to name a few. I've said this before jsu needs to hire whoever wrote that flight 52 in 2014... he has been a free agent and needs to be on the booms staff. All I will say from what I know and current band members have said it's going to be a confusing year this year and it doesn't help that jsu's dirty laundry is being aired out. Cause Sanford had a big hand in why the boom has lost size over the years because of his inability to manage scholarships correctly. I've heard it from former freshman class of 2015 and 2014 members it's not good.

As a boom supporter, I think they need to blow the staff up over this summer and reach out to new alumni. Hollinger is not the answer. Though he is a great musician and director he's not the booms future. Little should've been named director of bands. He was Taylor's successor. Y'all should've saw the signs when this oniel guy took over. It sabotaged a lot in the program. If y'all can't tell, Little tends to really stay to himself with his own agenda and I would be concerned about him leaving because he has written a lot of good arrangements for jsu "fathers stretched hands", "kiss from a Rose" etc... to name a few. I've said this before jsu needs to hire whoever wrote that flight 52 in 2014... he has been a free agent and needs to be on the booms staff. All I will say from what I know and current band members have said it's going to be a confusing year this year and it doesn't help that jsu's dirty laundry is being aired out. Cause Sanford had a big hand in why the boom has lost size over the years because of his inability to manage scholarships correctly. I've heard it from former freshman class of 2015 and 2014 members it's not good.
This will be a rebuilding year for the boom.

This will be a rebuilding year for the boom.
Not really a rebuilding year because the band is still intact and Little pretty much handled the marching band by himself along with Hollingers help at times. Sanford wasn't involved so i can't see anything changing!

Sanford in my opinion, was bringing us down. He was greedy and praise God, he's gone! I assure you that never, ever will there be a director of bands at Jsu that didn't march with the boom at some point.

Kevan Johnson is the guy you're referring to. He was set to become our chief arranger in 2015 but it was blocked by the board because Leggette's mom is on that board so they chose him and you see how that turned out lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back