JACKSON STATE NAMES NEW DIRECTOR OF BANDS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: OPEN AUDITIONS "Voice of the Boom"

You right, I am making a public complaint.

I feel that if he wants to really be the next D.O.B....he should go through the channels just like everyone else. Then he is also head of the search committee which means he would black-ball every single applicant whether that person qualifies or not which is unethical. If deep down he wants the job, get off the committee, submit the application and get to the interview.

http://forum.the5thquarter.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13753&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=25

Reading FrostyNacho's comments on another message board, I don't think he's too happy with Dowell Taylor's return as Band Director.

Don't forget to sign the guestbook!

Trust there is no jealousy here with all that country arse kicking and jangling. It's about preferences and JSU is not my style. JSU does more jumping around than a damn jack in the box. Drum majors look like a 6 pack crew of Uncle Cephuses at a revival. FOH! :lol:

Well, what is it then, Frostie?

Do they still sell "Frosite" root beer?

There are no eras, just the "Sonic Boom of the South".....if you care who else supports this, look at who will be leading the Boom this upcoming fall.

Reading FrostyNacho's comments on another message board, I don't think he's too happy with Dowell Taylor's return as Band Director.

If you're gonna quote me, don't paint half a picture to make me seem like the bad guy here......

but since we're doing quotes from other sites, please read what else I wrote. and please read what I bolded out.

FrostyNacho said:
So bcuz a simple statement about how unethical that would be....means that I'm bitter?

If I was bitter, I'd despise his return, but I don't. I welcome it. Just that logic dictates that all that 'wish upon a star' thing you are speaking of shouldn't happen.

Another person saw my point so obviously I'm not delusional about how this whole search committee process and how it should be handled.

But again logic clearly not your fortè. So once again, I'll leave this alone. :yuhh:

And for those who wanna know what the whole topic was about, the user "BG" and I were having a discussion on a "what if" situation where DT would become band director and how it would be handled. BG said given DT's track record, if he wants the position, there should be no questions asked and give it to him. I simply stated that if he wants the position, then he should get in line with all the other applicants and go through the process like everyone else.

Now go back and make me the bad guy again :lol:

If you're gonna quote me, don't paint half a picture to make me seem like the bad guy here......

but since we're doing quotes from other sites, please read what else I wrote. and please read what I bolded out.

And for those who wanna know what the whole topic was about, the user "BG" and I were having a discussion on a "what if" situation where DT would become band director and how it would be handled. BG said given DT's track record, if he wants the position, there should be no questions asked and give it to him. I simply stated that if he wants the position, then he should get in line with all the other applicants and go through the process like everyone else.

Frosty,
You didn't have to justify your comments bruh. Actually I could see your point with even the small snippet that was posted. I think Taylor will do well. Don't know if he wants the job permanently. Haven't talk to him about that yet. But I imagine he will definitely make sure whomever comes after him is ready to go. Don't know what the salary is for that job. But I always hear some of your Boom alums say they want this person or that person but if they are on that East coast, I know they are getting some nice salaries. Our Band Director Jobs in the SWAC are not high paying like the MEAC ones. Which is interesting considering our bands are better overall. Anyway, good luck to the Boom and I expect a great battle between my Jukebox and the Boom this year in September. I actually hope both bands concentrate more on the halftime show instead of the stand battle.

Frosty,
You didn't have to justify your comments bruh. Actually I could see your point with even the small snippet that was posted. I think Taylor will do well. Don't know if he wants the job permanently. Haven't talk to him about that yet. But I imagine he will definitely make sure whomever comes after him is ready to go. Don't know what the salary is for that job. But I always hear some of your Boom alums say they want this person or that person but if they are on that East coast, I know they are getting some nice salaries. Our Band Director Jobs in the SWAC are not high paying like the MEAC ones. Which is interesting considering our bands are better overall. Anyway, good luck to the Boom and I expect a great battle between my Jukebox and the Boom this year in September. I actually hope both bands concentrate more on the halftime show instead of the stand battle.

:tup:

Frostie, you are protesting too much, we know what your intentions were.

"Lewis Liddell era boomers mentality", I'm so glad that era has end.

Who are you again?....and like many others including DT which happens to be fam) there are no such thing as eras...CLUELESS!

Well, we know what Taylor will want to focus on.

If he does like he did back in the day, he will focus on halftime. But I am sure he realizes things have changed since he was the man in charge and try to balance both. It will take him a little while to transition things I imagine.

If he does like he did back in the day, he will focus on halftime. But I am sure he realizes things have changed since he was the man in charge and try to balance both. It will take him a little while to transition things I imagine.

He actually does realize that times and the Boom has changed into a power band...he just wants to clean it a bit more but he does embrace the power...He is going to have them SWINGING and SWAYING All Day and Night...The halftime show will be on point but expect to see the same energy in stands and on the field with a Slimmer Boom...:smh:

Dowell Taylor never stopped attending football games or watching halftimes, so he knows what's going on.

Just ask Sarge, he has photos of Taylor at JSU football games.

Trust there is no jealousy here with all that country arse kicking and jangling. It's about preferences and JSU is not my style. JSU does more jumping around than a damn jack in the box. Drum majors look like a 6 pack crew of Uncle Cephuses at a revival. FOH! :lol:

I've seen that Jack in the Box and I've seen the Human Jukebox.

You get the same Jack each time you crank up a Jack in the Box and the same performance each time the Human Jukebox cranks it up at halftime.

Maybe, I should just settle for a box of Cracker Jack, at least I will know I will be getting a different prize in each box.

smilieeatdrink.gif

Last edited:

He actually does realize that times and the Boom has changed into a power band...he just wants to clean it a bit more but he does embrace the power...He is going to have them SWINGING and SWAYING All Day and Night...The halftime show will be on point but expect to see the same energy in stands and on the field with a Slimmer Boom...:smh:

Interesting. Taylor from that old school. In my best Doc Gregg's voice. "You don't need many to do plenty"

I think one of the problems with a lot of bands if that they think you have to be huge to do damage. You do not. Just the right instrumentation. Some times I thought the Boom would be too top heavy. Meaning way too many trumpets that killed the lower brass. I say that as a trumpet player. LOL. I think Dowell will figure out how he wants his balance. To me, 192 is the largest you need to be on the field. I marched in bands that were strictly 128 at SU. We went to 160 in 85 my soph year and we tried 192 in 86 my Jr year for a game and Doc was like too many folks trying to skate. 87 we were back to 128 on the field and just had a bigger band in the stands. It bred competition to the upmost when you know it is hard as hell to make the field. Not that I am advocating the Boom dwindle down to 128. Hell even the Jukebox is larger than what I played in. I think they are marching a hybrid number of 172 on the field and of course have about 200 over a little over 200 in the stands. Anyway, I know Taylor will have them marching with the Boom mentality of old. I am sure the smaller numbers will also help him with getting his point across. Always less headaches when you don't have a lot of folks.

Interesting. Taylor from that old school. In my best Doc Gregg's voice. "You don't need many to do plenty"

I think one of the problems with a lot of bands if that they think you have to be huge to do damage. You do not. Just the right instrumentation. Some times I thought the Boom would be too top heavy. Meaning way too many trumpets that killed the lower brass. I say that as a trumpet player. LOL. I think Dowell will figure out how he wants his balance. To me, 192 is the largest you need to be on the field. I marched in bands that were strictly 128 at SU. We went to 160 in 85 my soph year and we tried 192 in 86 my Jr year for a game and Doc was like too many folks trying to skate. 87 we were back to 128 on the field and just had a bigger band in the stands. It bred competition to the upmost when you know it is hard as hell to make the field. Not that I am advocating the Boom dwindle down to 128. Hell even the Jukebox is larger than what I played in. I think they are marching a hybrid number of 172 on the field and of course have about 200 over a little over 200 in the stands. Anyway, I know Taylor will have them marching with the Boom mentality of old. I am sure the smaller numbers will also help him with getting his point across. Always less headaches when you don't have a lot of folks.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KwyD1UMteMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2qfC6rm1arw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ya'll JSU cats have been talking about bringing Dowell Taylor back for over 20 years. From the tiger run on to JSU rocks da house, nothing will change.

JSU has hired a new drum instructor. Rod Little who marched in the boom and played snare. He also was a drum major. He has been the band director at Lanier High School in Jackson, MS since he graduated. Young and energetic guy. Good hire boom.

JSU has hired a new drum instructor. Rod Little who marched in the boom and played snare. He also was a drum major. He has been the band director at Lanier High School in Jackson, MS since he graduated. Young and energetic guy. Good hire boom.

What happened to Owen Rockell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back