Jackson State Football (The Downfall of a Rich Heritage)

doubt it. You’re one of the most horrible smackers known to man but goodluck lol

What’s sad is Oprah state could beat us 10 years straight and still have a country mile to go to catch up in the series smh.... asu championship is a average to above average season. Nobody worried about what that kneegrow got to say...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Once JSU finds a coach that can coach just above the level of Junior High School, they'll be back in the thick of things. Pop Warner coaches just won't make it in the SWAC or against any HBCU. Maybe VUL???

Jackson St. had a lot of potential going into the year. Jackson St. return 10 starters off that good defense that stuffed Alcorn running games. I felt all Jackson St. needed was a little better OL play and they would battle Alcorn for the EAST. It looks like Jackson St. offense is a little better but special teams and defense have taken a MAJOR step back. Its not over for Jackson St. however if they lose to Valley Hendrick might be ran out of Jackson.

How did this happen? When I started watching HBCU Football on BET, Jackson State with those Blue Jerseys and that helmet was one of the reasons why. Now the Football team has gone down and when I watched last week, gray and blue jerseys. Please, bring back the old jerseys and get rid of the people that has brought down JSU Football

As a Jackson State University Alum who has grown up watching Jackson State during its highs and during its lows, this has got to be the WORST I have ever seen JSU football. The administration has played around with this program long enough and its time for some REAL change. This is not about JSU just loosing, this is about a rich heritage on its way down the drain if something isn't done and QUICKLY. Its not healthy for JSU nor the SWAC. Our recruiting is poor, our plays are mediocre, the coaches we have do not have winning records and the Athletic department CONTINUES to hire poor choices for the program. John Hendricks seems like a very good guy and I can tell he has a heart for these guys but he has CLEARLY not put together a competitive football team nor staff. The quarterbacks we have are terrible and our offense is playing junior high football while the defense forgets that this is a 4 quarter game. When thinking about all of the great coaches that have lead JSU to being a powerhouse in the SWAC like Bob Hill, W.C. Gorden, Robert (judge) Hughes and Rick Comegy , its almost unbelievable how the administration have let down the students and fanbase and made a mess out of this football program. People think that JSU's biggest mistake was when we fired Rick Comegy but it started when they fired Robert Hughes in 2003. Im not saying John Hendricks should be fired this year but SOMETHING has got to be done to revive this program because right now JSU football is on life support in need of MAJOR surgery.

From speaking with other JSU alums, you are on target. They all realize the problem; however, they feel helpless due to the fact that they are not in a position or authority to make change. Tiger10, on a side note, it not just JSU on a downfall. It's the entire SWAC. If you follow the money, you will understand why I say the entire SWAC... Thank you for the post!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
In my opinion, there are multiple reasons why JSU football is in the state that We are. It goes back to athletic director Roy Culbertson and his vision to fix something that wasn't broke. He brought in his buddy James Bell, who decided to tear apart one the best offenses in I-AA football. He threw out an offense with a QB (Robert Kent) that was on pace to become 2nd all time in I-AA football in total yardage. He went to a run oriented offense that had no returning backs with experience. The rest is history. Comegy lost a lot of football games he shouldn't have due to lack of discipline. Tennessee State's dominance of the series started under him. His out of conference record was horrible. His record against the SWAC West was terrible also. We've been to the championship game 8 times I think and only won once. Comegy allowed James Woody to play favorites and almost didn't secure the one that we won. Lisa Myers and Vivan Fuller also put our football program in a bad position due to lack of support financially and facility wise. We have gotten away from JSU culture and the way we did things during our most dominant period as a program. W. C. Gordon had a staff of coaches that were brought up in JSU football culture. Most of them played at JSU and we're successful players there. That staff coached together for at least a decade or more. I wonder if any of our head coaches since Hughes have the time out to pick his brain. He still lives 10 minutes from campus. Our offense is horrible based on the number of talented skill players we have. We haven't had but two decent qb's since Robert Kent. They are Jimmy Oliver and Casey Therriault. We've got the offensive coordinator who had some of the most prolific offenses in JSU football history doing play by play for our football broadcast. He's been doing those for 6 or 7 years and also coaching the Southern Lab football team for the last 2 to 3 years. He's sent 6 or 7 players to FBS programs during that period. He's won everywhere he's been with the exception of Texas Southern. He should be considered for the offensive coordinator job. We need someone who can develop qb's and call a game offensively. I could go further but I've already been on here too long.

A lot of us outside of Metro Jackson are puzzled at why Jackson State made essentially the same bad decision twice:

Firing Hughes to hire Bell
Firing Comegy to hire OMJ

It's like there was no one around the powers-that-be that were like "Yo! this Comegy firing might backfire like the Hughes firing."

A lot of us outside of Metro Jackson are puzzled at why Jackson State made essentially the same bad decision twice:

It's like there was no one around the powers-that-be that were like "Yo! this Comegy firing might backfire like the Hughes firing."

The firing of Comegy shocked me!

They were fired by incompetent dumb asses who were in their feelings. Especially Comegy. I’ll leave it at that

Comegy lost two SWAC title games basically the same way. Plus, I think there were other issues brewing there. Moving on from Comegy at the time made sense....

Now, the hiring of Harold Jackson was utter foolishness. We had an incompetent AD who let some old heads get in her head... Vivian Fuller destroyed our entire athletic department, not just football. We have not recovered from her reign of terror.

Personally, I think we should do what UAB did and just shut down the program for a few years. When the time is right, we can restart.

Is that sarcasm? You can't be serious.
I am 100% serious. Businesses shut down, restructure, etc... all the time. Right now, the school seems incapable of putting together a competent football program.

UAB's shutdown allowed them to get their house in order and you see the results.

They are 6-1 this year.

I am 100% serious. Businesses shut down, restructure, etc... all the time. Right now, the school seems incapable of putting together a competent football program.

UAB's shutdown allowed them to get their house in order and you see the results.

They are 6-1 this year.
HELLLLLLL NO. That's not fair to our fans. Even though we have been down, they still show. They deserve so much more.

HELLLLLLL NO. That's not fair to our fans. Even though we have been down, they still show. They deserve so much more.

Gotta agree. Shutting down the program is a bit drastic. It's not like it's Miami in the 90s outrageous.

I think the football program can turn around by hiring a dynamic, younger coach that can galvanize the fan base and push the program forward. Also, an AD that's competent.

Back