Jackson State Football (The Downfall of a Rich Heritage)

JSUTiger10

As a Jackson State University Alum who has grown up watching Jackson State during its highs and during its lows, this has got to be the WORST I have ever seen JSU football. The administration has played around with this program long enough and its time for some REAL change. This is not about JSU just loosing, this is about a rich heritage on its way down the drain if something isn't done and QUICKLY. Its not healthy for JSU nor the SWAC. Our recruiting is poor, our plays are mediocre, the coaches we have do not have winning records and the Athletic department CONTINUES to hire poor choices for the program. John Hendricks seems like a very good guy and I can tell he has a heart for these guys but he has CLEARLY not put together a competitive football team nor staff. The quarterbacks we have are terrible and our offense is playing junior high football while the defense forgets that this is a 4 quarter game. When thinking about all of the great coaches that have lead JSU to being a powerhouse in the SWAC like Bob Hill, W.C. Gorden, Robert (judge) Hughes and Rick Comegy , its almost unbelievable how the administration have let down the students and fanbase and made a mess out of this football program. People think that JSU's biggest mistake was when we fired Rick Comegy but it started when they fired Robert Hughes in 2003. Im not saying John Hendricks should be fired this year but SOMETHING has got to be done to revive this program because right now JSU football is on life support in need of MAJOR surgery.

Attachments

• Robert-Hughes.jpg
    Robert-Hughes.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 5
  • W.C. Gorden JSU.jpg
    W.C. Gorden JSU.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
  • GXQEXFJBGNESPWP.20131219045659.jpg
    GXQEXFJBGNESPWP.20131219045659.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
  • walter-payton-a59c1080-19e2-421a-8da3-aa89457a1e7-resize-750.jpeg
    walter-payton-a59c1080-19e2-421a-8da3-aa89457a1e7-resize-750.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 5

As a Jackson State University Alum who has grown up watching Jackson State during its highs and during its lows, this has got to be the WORST I have ever seen JSU football. The administration has played around with this program long enough and its time for some REAL change. This is not about JSU just loosing, this is about a rich heritage on its way down the drain if something isn't done and QUICKLY. Its not healthy for JSU nor the SWAC. Our recruiting is poor, our plays are mediocre, the coaches we have do not have winning records and the Athletic department CONTINUES to hire poor choices for the program. John Hendricks seems like a very good guy and I can tell he has a heart for these guys but he has CLEARLY not put together a competitive football team nor staff. The quarterbacks we have are terrible and our offense is playing junior high football while the defense forgets that this is a 4 quarter game. When thinking about all of the great coaches that have lead JSU to being a powerhouse in the SWAC like Bob Hill, W.C. Gorden, Robert (judge) Hughes and Rick Comegy , its almost unbelievable how the administration have let down the students and fanbase and made a mess out of this football program. People think that JSU's biggest mistake was when we fired Rick Comegy but it started when they fired Robert Hughes in 2003. Im not saying John Hendricks should be fired this year but SOMETHING has got to be done to revive this program because right now JSU football is on life support in need of MAJOR surgery.
Ashley Robinson not the right guy for yall. He hiring all his buddies from jps as coaches. Coach Brent should've been fired.

You forgot James "Big Daddy" Carson!

1571002828574.png

He not!! Your volleyball team has declined since he been the A.D. and yall know 4 that.

Did he hire or fire the volleyball coach?

I don't know either and that's why I'm asking, want to know the correlation of the two.

I don't know either and that's why I'm asking, want to know the correlation of the two.

The answer is no. Dez doesn't know what hes talking about. Rose has been the coach for almost 2 decades. Bynum wanted Hendrick and is letting Brent finish out his contract. He hired an additional coach for the men bball team that hasn't been filled in about 3 years. Ashley will be fine for our institution

I don't know, all i know they looking bad in my city. You go to Jackson, you see know flags in the cars or nothing. I see more Alcorn flags than j st.

Smh 🤦🏽‍♂️ I grew up on late 80s , 90s, early 00s JSU .... the 2019 group is down right sorry but what’s sad is talent wise we recruited with the best of them.... 4 stars and promising freshman but we got clowns out there coaching .... by week 3 Casey should’ve been our play caller. We have a guy that can sling it and looks confident and we play average ponders who hasn’t improved at all since last year.... special teams is lost... guys have no damn heart... we down by 14 with plenty of time in grambling and Alabama state game and folks quitting in the 3rd quarter which has been our worse quarter of football we’ve been outscored 52-24 in the 3rd this year..... that’s unacceptable... that’s not JSU football and I was fooled to think gee we had a good bounce back year last year 5-5 some quality wins and JSU just let me down once again.... I mean there’s no sign of improvement in the offense in three weeks we look worse than we did at the start of season.... TC Taylor need to coach the offense going forward and Hendrick need to coach defense and get us at least 3-4 wins as usual this is damn sorry as hell.... this is not the JSU football I grew up on or watched on vhs.... it’s sad these 2000 kids not gone remember when JSU was the model program in the swac.... we suck and still bring in 30 plus k fans ... the fans deserve better than this crap here...

I know this much we better have a better offensive and defensive coordinator by next season or we need to stop going to games ... seriously if JSU gone ignore the fans then ignore the games... if you know better you’d flat out do better...

I agree with you that JSU has a rich heritage and a proud legacy in the world of SWAC football, in particular. and SWAC athletics, in general. All of SWAC loses when JSU football is not competitive. We need one of the SWAC's largest fanbases to stay intact and not give up on JSU.

Again Bynum made that decision because the players wanted him, not Ashley.
I recall this time last year when that happened.Y'all were saying the team was really behind him and he was the guy for the job. In some interviews Hendrix went on about how he loved the players and understood them..IMHO seems like he begged for the job and got it regardless of his poor HC record just cause the players wanted him.

JSU rich football legacy died years ago. Can things change? Absolutely. Do I think things will change soon? No. JSU athletics seem to be controlled by incompetent people. JSU has had so many coaching changes in the last 10 years and still a sorry product is on the field.

But the fans ain't going no where ... half are delusional (stuck in the glory days) and half just go for the culture.

How many of these head coaches are JSU alums? If it means anything, SU's two most winning head coaches, Mumford and Richardson, were not SU grads.

Back