Grambling State releases football field construction update

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ok for those of you who said the stadium was a pond. Here is a 1955 aerial from my work desktop.
from the gramblinite

http://www.thegramblinite.com/news/view.php/392661/83-G-Men-pay-tribute-to-their-legendary-

can't vouch for them but there's a pic hidden away that needs to be scanned.

What lake was drained? This is 1955 aerial....this same information has been provided to the Gramblinite on a number of occasions as Grambling is presently pursuing some historic districts within the city. The Gramblinite has often provided misleading information in which the students fail to correct out of arrogance.

At any rate here is the picture of the Orchard. I'm sure you can't plant an orchard in water.

Stadium.jpg

150ft Boring Log...... Its rare to go over 100 ft in that area.. You usually hit water way before that

150ft Boring Log...... Its rare to go over 100 ft in that area.. You usually hit water way before that

The stadium has to be at least 50 to 75-ft deep. You always go deeper to make sure you cover everything. Boring logs are the classification of subsurface soils and at what elevation water is present. Depending on the location and the proposed structure, it's not uncommon to bore 150-ft. or deeper. I've actually seen boring logs that went as deep as 1,000-ft., but mostly for deep water wells. The company I worked for designed an 800-ft. deep water well in Union Parish. The young man that did the drafting for that project grew up in Grambling. Oil wells can go several thousand feet deep. Prior to the developing any well, the engineer has to know what's beneath the surface via boring logs. Most people are more accustomed to hearing them called test holes instead of boring logs.

Ok for those of you who said the stadium was a pond. Here is a 1955 aerial from my work desktop.

What lake was drained? This is 1955 aerial....this same information has been provided to the Gramblinite on a number of occasions as Grambling is presently pursuing some historic districts within the city. The Gramblinite has often provided misleading information in which the students fail to correct out of arrogance.

At any rate here is the picture of the Orchard. I'm sure you can't plant an orchard in water.

Stadium.jpg
What am I looking at?

The stadium has to be at least 50 to 75-ft deep. You always go deeper to make sure you cover everything. Boring logs are the classification of subsurface soils and at what elevation water is present. Depending on the location and the proposed structure, it's not uncommon to bore 150-ft. or deeper. I've actually seen boring logs that went as deep as 1,000-ft., but mostly for deep water wells. The company I worked for designed an 800-ft. deep water well in Union Parish. The young man that did the drafting for that project grew up in Grambling. Oil wells can go several thousand feet deep. Prior to the developing any well, the engineer has to know what's beneath the surface via boring logs. Most people are more accustomed to hearing them called test holes instead of boring logs.
The bottom of what you calling a lake is 0. So you start at zero and go down until you hit water or rock. That's the rule.

The bottom of what you calling a lake is 0. So you start at zero and go down until you hit water or rock. That's the rule.

I never called it a lake. I called it an excavation. Please go back and read my previous posts. If there are pre-construction boring logs, more than likely they would have started at the existing ground elevation and bored to a specified depth. As they bore into the ground, they would record the depth and elevation of the bore. The depth of the bore is determined by the engineer and not when the drilling bit reaches rock or water. Attached is an appendix of a 150 feet boring log done somewhere in Wisconsin. Noticed the depth and elevation on the left side of the boring log. The depth goes up while the elevation goes down, but they both coincide, where the subsurface elevation equals the surface elevation minus the recorded depth..

http://www.co.chippewa.wi.us/home/showdocument?id=10056

Last edited:
@stroke

Also, unless it is a very deep oil well, one would probably never bore into rock in Louisiana, which is why most large structures in Louisiana are supported by pile foundation built on weak soil. Clusters of piles are driven into the ground until they meet a certain resistance. I'm sure you have seen large machinery hammering piles into the ground, especially on highway bridge projects. Once the piles are driven to meet some resistance, they are cut even at a certain height and a concrete cap with re-bar is poured over top of them. The concrete cap with re-bar is known as the structure's mat foundation.

1.jpg

Stadium.jpg
Facts should never get in the way of great storytelling.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
When the lake/no lake talk is done, are there any no photos of the revamped Robinson Stadium? Any photos of the new turf?
Any up close pics of the new scoreboard?

Will the new scoreboard have a horn????

When the lake/no lake talk is done, are there any no photos of the revamped Robinson Stadium? Any photos of the new turf?

Yes I usually post them once a week in the private forum....I usually take them on Saturdays after a full week of work.

Here is the most recent one I took...

IMG_8854.jpg

@stroke

Also, unless it is a very deep oil well, one would probably never bore into rock in Louisiana, which is why most large structures in Louisiana are supported by pile foundation built on weak soil. Clusters of piles are driven into the ground until they meet a certain resistance. I'm sure you have seen large machinery hammering piles into the ground, especially on highway bridge projects. Once the piles are driven to meet some resistance, they are cut even at a certain height and a concrete cap with re-bar is poured over top of them. The concrete cap with re-bar is known as the structure's mat foundation.

1.jpg

Not trying to keep this going but, You posted Precast Piles, which You will almost never see in Louisiana except on Huge Buildings. The New North Terminal in New Orleans will have them. New orleans Uses mostly wood Piles, and going to Auger Piles, North Louisiana are mostly on CIP concrete pills but mostly Footings. You can hit Rock in North LA, You want in South LA. Where did you find this picture?
But deep Foundations have nothing to do with our Stadium.

Back