Alcorn State to the West...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck ask around who won the Commissioner Cup, no one knows. Then ask who won the SWAC Championship in Football you get an answer quickly.

I want the Commissioner Cup. However, NOT without a football, basketball, and baseball championship (or at least two of them)......LOL One of the things one has to do is up their T&F programs (which I am a fan of) to compliment what I call the "Big 3." I like an all-around strong athletic program though.

That's the point that most that are against Alcorm coming to the West keep neglecting. The commissioner has stated that whoever moved would still get to play the other two as permanent rivals so all of this "breaking up in state rivalries"/"Valley and UAPB could have forged a rivalry" talk is moot. UAPB is solidified as our #3 but they are a distant 3rd. They bring far more than anyone else in the SWAC to Itta Bena (outside of Alcorn and JSU) but they are not JSU and Alcorn (again my biggest gripe with them is that they don't bring their band to Itta Bena yet we have taken ours to Pine Bluff the last three times we've played em there). Trying to force a rivalry by taking away our biggest money makers with a move to the West and no permanent rivals is asinine. Duer Sharp might have done it but a commish born and raised in MS understands what the MS SWAC schools mean to one another

Would'nt that be bias to take into consideration?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Would'nt that be bias to take into consideration?

But he went to Prairie View and has worked at both Texas schools most of his adult life so it's kind of a wash. Plus I said he would understand the rivalries being from Mississippi. He would also understand JSU/SU, Alcorn/Grambling. Grambling/JSU, etc

Sharp would have thrown Valley to the West without thinking twice

But he went to Prairie View and has worked at both Texas schools most of his adult life so it's kind of a wash. Plus I said he would understand the rivalries being from Mississippi. He would also understand JSU/SU, Alcorn/Grambling. Grambling/JSU, etc

Man, you speak so disparaging of the move to West unless it is a school other than your beloved Valley. The mileage variable is negligible between Alcorn, JSU, and Valley, yet you triumph in the commissioner’s decision to move Alcorn as some grandiose example of clairvoyance. We are in the West and we will hold our own, but there were strong and reasonable arguments to move any of the Mississippi schools.

Last edited:

It wasn't his decision alone to make. There were others that had input on this and they came together to get this decision done.

It will be interesting to see the Florida schools renewing rivalries with AAMU, Bama State and JSU.

I anticipate our fans being a bit more excited for those contests...especially knowing a lot of bands will be traveling to Tallahassee as well.

In the MEAC, we rarely got any visiting bands to perform at Bragg. Only SCSU’a band would make the trip occasionally. I know we’re sports fans, but bands are good to sell a few more tickets.

I want the Commissioner Cup. However, NOT without a football, basketball, and baseball championship (or at least two of them)......LOL One of the things one has to do is up their T&F programs (which I am a fan of) to compliment what I call the "Big 3." I like an all-around strong athletic program though.

That’s funny. Whenever I bring up our dominance of the Commissioner’s Cup, y’all say it doesn’t mean anything.

no, SU wants to start to compete for one.

how about this..we’ll let y’all hold it when SU can put together a competent athletic department & not just a ok football team that challenges for the SWAC title every 5 years.

That’s funny. Whenever I bring up our dominance of the Commissioner’s Cup, y’all say it doesn’t mean anything.

how about this..we’ll let y’all hold it when SU can put together a competent athletic department & not just a ok football team that challenges for the SWAC title every 5 years.

Go sit down somewhere Junior.....LOL

Commissioner Cup Winners Since 1991
1) Southern University 12
2T) Jackson State 6
2T) Alabama State 6
3T) Prairie View A&M 2
3T) Grambling State 2

Go sit down somewhere Junior.....LOL

Commissioner Cup Winners Since 1991
1) Southern University 12
2T) Jackson State 6
2T) Alabama State 6
3T) Prairie View A&M 2
3T) Grambling State 2

Last time y’all won a commissioners cup I was entering my senior year of high school

Man, you speak so disparaging of the move to West unless it is a school other than your beloved Valley. The mileage variable is negligible between Alcorn, JSU, and Valley, yet you triumph in the commissioner’s decision to move Alcorn as some grandiose example of clairvoyance. We are in the West and we will hold our own, but there were strong and reasonable arguments to move any of the Mississippi schools.

It's a common sense move. Has nothing to do with "competitiveness" or anything. The distance keeps getting brought out because of the other sports which the commissioner has brought up from the start. Those 100-250 mile trips are easy on the budget in soccer and especially baseball and softball when it's division only. Everyone else keeps looking at this from a football only standpoint. I've thought all sports from the start like Dr. McClelland

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Ummm you know SU has the best baseball and basketball program historically in the SWAC And we are #2 historically in football.

It's a common sense move. Has nothing to do with "competitiveness" or anything. The distance keeps getting brought out because of the other sports which the commissioner has brought up from the start. Those 100-250 mile trips are easy on the budget in soccer and especially baseball and softball when it's division only. Everyone else keeps looking at this from a football only standpoint. I've thought all sports from the start like Dr. McClelland
I never specifically referred to the pros/cons of the move from a football perspective only. If the decision to move Alcorn is a “common sense move’” but .... you know what never mind. Good Luck in the Spring.

Ummm you know SU has the best baseball and basketball program historically in the SWAC And we are #2 historically in football.

baseball, yes.

basketball, idk about all of that. I have to do my research. We ran the SWAC with big Chief Kickingstallingsims when I was at ASU.

football, idk about that either. Seems like Alcorn is #2 behind Grambling

baseball, yes.

basketball, idk about all of that. I have to do my research. We ran the SWAC with big Chief Kickingstallingsims when I was at ASU.

football, idk about that either. Seems like Alcorn is #2 behind Grambling
SU has the most SWAC Tournament basketball titles. SU is #2 behind Gram in Football championships

Last edited:
I also didn't realize that half of the SWAC never won a commissioner cup either including my own school

SU has the most SWAC Tournament basketball titles. SU is #2 behind Gram in Football championships

I guess y’all are alright.

AAMU tho
tenor.gif

Texas Southern has the best basketball history. We are in 2nd place in SWAC CHAMPIONSHIPS 2 or 3 championships behind Alcorn. 2nd place in SWAC Tournaments 1 behind Southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back