Alcorn State to the West...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on the board lately so I'll add my two cents. Say the conference elect no permanent rival, but allow you to play a team not part of the conference schedule that year...only if it's a neutral site/ Classic game. That way your fans still get to play your rival, and the school makes some money. Some of the propose sites just to name a few, Atlanta Classic, Chicago Classic, Shreveport, Dallas, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Andeles, etc. Jackson State been playing Tenn St for years in Memphis. Also it will help some of the schools in the conference with their scheduling. Just my 2 cents.

That's not a bad idea. I think the SWAC front office would be cool with making this happen on their part. But the perspective Classic games (Circle City, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas' State Fair Showdown, Atlanta if it ever comes back, etc) have to do their PART and make their pitches to the conference and teams EARLY! A lot of these great Classic games in recent years have fell off because of terrible matchups. SWAC teams are putting out their official schedules by February and the Classic games sometimes aren't announcing their matchups until late spring or early summer.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I didn't know Grambling never won the SWAC in basketball

Grambling (like PV ('61) and Tennessee State (3 straight)) has won a NAIA national title (1962 with Willis Reed) but no NCAA tourney appearances. I love to bring up that nugget when they harp on Valley never winning the SWAC in football lol

NAIA SWAC Men National Titles
1) Texas Southern 8 (Indoor & Outdoor T&F Basketball)
2) Jackson State 7 (Indoor & Outdoor T&F)
3) Southern University 6 (Indoor & Outdoor T&F, Baseball)
4) Praire View A&M 4 (Indoor & Outdoor T&F Basketball)
5) Mississippi Valley 2 (Outdoor T&F)
6) Grambling State 1 (Basketball)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back