Alcorn State to the West...

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this in mind, I'm going out on a limb and predicting the following: For FAMU: GSU and SU. For BCU: Alcorn and GSU
would never happen.... first of all if Grambling had FAMU and BCU then they would never play Jackson State..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
in women's basketball you are incorrect... top 4 schools were Jackson, Texas So, Southern, AAMU... then Alcorn was 5th..... so you had two of the top 5..... and BCU may be bringing in the best women's team in the league.

Same for men. As much as we hate Brent he was Top 4.

Crootin’ gonna be interesting as hell. Florida opens up to more of the conference schools while the Mississippi jucos and Texas opens up to the Florida schools.

in women's basketball you are incorrect... top 4 schools were Jackson, Texas So, Southern, AAMU... then Alcorn was 5th..... so you had two of the top 5..... and BCU may be bringing in the best women's team in the league.
I stand corrected as for women's basketball.

He sure did

That's why it really didn't matter if Alcorn, JSU or Valley moved to the West because each school would claim the other MS schools as their permanent rivals. The only reason most picked Alcorn was because of geography (Alcorn is closer to Grambling and Southern than Valley is to UAPB and Grambling (not by much though). Alcorn is 212 miles from UAPB compared to itta Bena being 250+ miles from Southern.

Geography
But its an easy drive Valley to SU. Straight down 61. 4 Lane all the way

I believe the commissioner said back when Bethune came along that each school would have 2 permanent cross division rivals.

He also said that a committee is being established to come up with a plan.

I still think there should not be any permanent cross division rivals because there really isn't any true cross division rivals for all 12 schools.

I still stick with this type of plan that could work for all the teams in the conference and let all the teams play each other more often.

Now just to keep up with the 8 conference schedule and to make it balanced based on the divisions with 6 team each. You could play a 5-3 format with the 5 division games and 3 cross division games. Looking at it this way with 2 schools from each state and putting Ark & the other Ms school together, you play 1 school from each state for your 3 cross division games (alternating schools with home and away each year). To go further in balancing out the schedule you will still have 4 home and 4 away conference games. In year 21 three East Teams will host 3 East & 1 West team and go on the road to 2 East teams & 2 West teams but in year 22 they will host 2 East teams and 2 West teams and will visit 3 East teams & 1 West team. You continue alternating this type of schedule until each school has hosted everyone and visited everyone from the other division which should be at least 4 years.

Geography and travel were considered when aligning the divisions. Taking those factors under consideration the permanent cross division rivals may look something like this.

The Alabama schools with the Texas schools.
The Louisiana schools with the Florida schools.
The Mississippi schools with each other and UAPB.

Louisiana schools would be crazy to go for this. They have to play their west schedule and FAMU & BC every year while Alcorn plays JSU & Valley. PV plays Alabama schools. Good luck winning the West with that schedule Grambling and Southern.

Last edited:
yall are really killing me acting like Alcorn wont be Valley South again in about two years... smh Yall acting like the last few years havent been the dark ages of the SWAC. The most consistent team next to Alcorn has been Southern.. yeah THAT Southern.

yall are really killing me acting like Alcorn wont be Valley South again in about two years... smh Yall acting like the last few years havent been the dark ages of the SWAC. The most consistent team next to Alcorn has been Southern.. yeah THAT Southern.

In the past nine years Alcorn has been to six SWAC Championship games. Grambling and Southern have been to four each.

What makes you think Alcorn is about to fall off? They have been the best team in this decade.

In football, I think Florida A&M and Bethune Cookman are the favorites in the East. Any given year Bama St. Jackson St, and Bama A&M may compete for the title.

FAMU and BCU will be in the mix but this aint the MEAC. ...and if you aint heard, JSU is back.
In the past nine years Alcorn has been to six SWAC Championship games. Grambling and Southern have been to four each.

What makes you think Alcorn is about to fall off? They have been the best team in this decade.

Because they are just Alcorn. Where you been?

Louisiana schools would be crazy to go for this. They have to play their west schedule and FAMU & BC every year while Alcorn plays JSU & Valley. PV plays Alabama schools. Good luck winning the West with that schedule Grambling and Southern.

Yeah. Lol. But this is probably the best format that considers travel for the Florida schools. Otherwise one of them may end having play UAPB every year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

You have to realize who you're talking to. That guy is stuck somewhere in the '70s or '80s. In the last 30 years, Alcorn has been superior to Jsu in terms of football conference championships.....LOL

SWAC Football Champions last 30 years (Since 1990):

1) Grambling 8.5 (Grambling and Alcorn shared the title in 1994)
2) Southern 6
3) Alcorn 5.5
4) Jackson State 4
5) Alabama State 2
6T) AAMU, PV & UAPB 1
(1 missing TXSU vacated)

They had a cakewalk in the East. Shat about to change now. No more open dates before SU and Gram every year.

We have not hosted a SWAC championship game in Red Stick in the last two years, but we sure can tell you how it feels {with pics} to play in one.
You are so right I got the perfect picture of how it feels...

Attachments

• 396A6D03-30BB-4F91-9D53-B8D383809422.jpeg
    396A6D03-30BB-4F91-9D53-B8D383809422.jpeg
    847.8 KB · Views: 13
:(

I'm at a loss of words. Please, SWAC, send SU and GSU to the SWAC East, return ALcorn the the East, and send the West MVSU. 8 in the East and 4 in the West.

New SWAC West
---------------------
MVSU
UAPB
PV
sTu

Haven't been on the board lately so I'll add my two cents. Say the conference elect no permanent rival, but allow you to play a team not part of the conference schedule that year...only if it's a netural site/ Classic game. That way your fans still get to play your rival, and the school makes some money. Some of the propose sites just to name a few, Atlanta Classic, Chicago Classic, Shreveport, Dallas, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Andeles, etc. Jackson State been playing Tenn St for years in Memphis. Also it will help some of the schools in the conference with their scheduling. Just my 2 cents.

Also... I think some of yall live in the now.... Good teams come in cycles... its a reason why every SWAC team minus Valley has won a championship in the last 20 years.... now some cheated... but overall teams have good years and bad years... ups and downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back