Jackson Residents--- Ex Jackson Residents--- Interested outsiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

JayRob has entered the fray. This should be good ....

Of all the problems and issues facing Jackson, on the day after his election, this guy chooses to talk about ... Christopher Columbus. He had an golden opportunity to lay out his vision for the city, what goals he wants accomplish, what direction he wants to move the city in ... and Mr. Super Black chooses to talk about ... Christopher Columbus.

Another serious question for Lumumba supporters:

Is there anything in the City of Jackson that might be a higher priority or more important than ... Christopher Columbus? Anything?

Or does this guy's Super Black agenda cloud and confuse his perception of reality and show that he is an assclown who has no clue what a mayor should be trying do?

Commonsense would at least lead you to look up the man's website to find out what his plans are. He has participated in several mayoral debates and each time laid out his plan for the city? Why continue to repeat the SAME thing he's already said.

Simply go to the man's website and see what his plans are for yourself instead of just ranting:

https://www.facebook.com/ElectChokweLumumbaMayorOfJacksonMs

As far as reminding Black folks of their history and accomplishments, which MANY didn't know, what's wrong with that? That's only .1 percent part of the man's plan.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Obama didn't straighten out this nation in four years did he? No.

And another thing, what's wrong with the man preaching to Black folks "self determination" while not depending on handouts? White folks practice it; Chinese folks practice it; Koreans practice it; Japanese folks practice it but when Black folks practice it, folks get scared and want to call folks militant. Makes no sense.

During the times before integration, Black communities were thriving due to what? Self-determination and helping each other to become better assets to the community instead of liabilities. What's wrong with that....and that is a question.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hey................ :lol:

He is the one that can't discuss shat without the TOM or silly implications in his post. He started in last night. You know I don't mind playing that game. :lol:

As for the election, you right. It's not that serious. It's over and I'm done with Jackson politics for good. But you know how some people are when they find someone that don't bend over and take up the backside just to fit in with the "keep it real": crowd. :lol:

Frat, I feel ya bruh. It may be time for you to get out of that place. That is why my folks say never and I mean never to come back to that mofo to live.

We all might have to worry about Piyush "Bobby" Jindal, especially if he can fulfill his dreams on the national stage. Louisiana was just a stepping stone for him.

That dude ain't going to make it nationally. The best he can do is become a US Senator in LA. Anything else ain't happening. The country would never vote for that clown. Sara Palin got a better chance than he do. And she has no chance at all. The South is not going to get another President unless he comes from Texas or Florida. None of them small arse Southern states Governors stand a chance. You have seen the last Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carters of the world win a national election. Even white folks in other states think Jindal is stoopid. LOL. In his own party.

Frat, I feel ya bruh. It may be time for you to get out of that place. That is why my folks say never and I mean never to come back to that mofo to live.

Naw JR.................. That can't be true. :goof:

According to some on this board, only YT is leaving the city. :lol:

But here's the other thing about the signs. They hit a nerve with me precisely because the sentiment is so backward and inaccurate and alarmist. Part of our problem in Jackson is that we allow ourselves to be divided by people who convince us that the person in the mayor's office is the key to everything. They tell us that development downtown is blocked by the mayor; local businesses can't thrive because of the mayor; the potholes are there because of the mayor; people kill people because of the mayor. Or the creative class can't happen without the mayor (which we've helped prove wrong without ever involving a mayor's blessing).

#Seriously: We're supposed to wait around for one or another mayor to come along and save everything, including our businesses, for us? This is the worst kind of reliance on the government. And it's really a dumb notion used for political purposes.

Think about it. Eight years ago, a fake "unity" coalition convinced Jackson voters that Frank Melton was the savior of everything and would cure crime in 90 days. (One candidate this year has promised to fix potholes in three days. Ahem.) Of course, he had no idea how to run the city and not a whole lot of interest in anything but amassing power, playing cop and probably weeding a bunch of files out of the system, truth be known. But we were told he was the man who was going to save us from ourselves, and Johnson, and our future depended on electing him! We couldn't convince people that he was a charlatan, at first, no matter what we reported.

#And guess what? He screwed up about everything he touched as mayor and--drum roll--we voted him out in four years and brought back a mayor who actually had a grasp on reality, if a whole lot duller by comparison. If the new mayor is a screw-up, we will do the same thing. Jackson's future does not depend on him succeeding. The people who sell you that bill of goods are trying to distract you in some kind of Orwellian fantasy where all you do for four years is whine about the administration instead of digging in with your own initiative.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2013/may/22/future-jackson-depends-you/

Shid, the majority of my Callaway classmates of 1984 white and black left that mofo and only come back to visit their folks. My neighbor kids who went to JSU, Ms State, USM etc all left and don't plan on coming back. And the parents don't want us back because of the way isht has been run. Hell Kenny Stokes wife is my cousin and I know them mofos ain't right. LOL. I really hate Jackson can't turn the corner. It is a shame. I love my hometown but it is just gut wrenching to see the none progress. I mean I am glad to see JSU build up around their area. But I mean just the city itself.

You don't have to wait that long. Here are a few and I emphasize A FEW of Johnson's accomplishments:

-Mayor Johnson brought forth a resolution to issue up to $7 million in Tax Increment Financing for the District at Eastover project. This 23-acre development will contain over 640,000 square feet of retail, restaurant, office, hotel and residential uses, including a state-of-the-art multi-screen theater and grocer.

--Helped to get Virginia College reopened and moved to North Jackson with 6,000,000 dollars grant funding.

--Murder rate dropped under his tenure as did other violent crimes.

--Fortification Street development and repavement costing 10 million dollars.

-Helped to open the Metro 24 Bowling Center Arcade & Grill, located near JSU's campus

--Mayor Johnson to break ground on the 1.5 million gallon elevated water tank at the intersection of Mill Street and Fortification Street in West Jackson. Since 1997, the City has invested a quarter of a billion dollars into water and sewer system upgrades. The project is expected to be completed in June 2014.

--The City will also award State Street BBQ located at 906 State Street a Storefront Improvement Grant (SIG) and University Place Bar and Grill located on the Jackson State University campus at 1100 JR Lynch Street a $7,500 SIG

--Thalia Mara Hall Announces $5.5 Million Renovation Plans under Johnson which will increase tourism.

--The Jackson Convention Center, whom Johnson helped to create, just released its Annual Report for 2012. The Complex had a $27.4 million economic impact on the city with at annual attendance of 141,464 people for 295 event days last year.

--Over the last several years the City's awarded about $900,000 in small business grants, creating or retaining about 900 jobs. Jackson's small business grant programs were also recognized as a "Best Practice" by the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

All good things that I already know about.
All of them moved at a snales pace.

#1) The Eastover project was STATE LED Project. The property that Mississippi School for the Blind sits on is STATE PROPERTY just like Memorial. The Mayor would have been a fool not to give those tax breaks. :lol:

#2) Same thing with the tax breaks. Virginia College moved from I-55 South frontage road across from the Advantages apartments because they needed more space. The space they moved into was the old Brookshires Grocery store on Ridgewood and Beasley that bolted from Jackson 5 years ago.

#3) Murder rate dropped. Crime rate dropped............. Right.
Tell that to them mofos living in South Jackson that can't even leave their homes to go to work because they will be cleaned out. Tell that to the 77 year old man on Alta Vista in South Jackson they found yesterday shot in the head....DEAD. Won't get into the other 4 or 5 murders in the last 2 weeks.

#4)Fortification Street has been in the works since 2009. Bout time that shat started.
Thalia Mara has been slated for years to be renovated. They been arguing that for as long as Fortification has been being discussed. It took them that long to get all them fools on the council to actually show up to vote for it at one time.

#5)Bowling ally, BBq pit, and those other handful of small business............ GREAT. For those small businesses. No impact on the GREATER JACKSON AREA as for development.

#6) Water treatment............. 7 years in the making since the last major Ice storm. Was you here then. The entire city was out of water for weeks when the thaw happened. Shat was bursting everywhere and they still are. We playing catchup.

Now in the 8 years it took Jackson to do this little bit of work, the surrounding counties have brought in 50 times that in morter and brick type of developments and they are up and running. IF you still live here, I know you know what I'm talking about. While they was building, we was saying "forget them white folks" and "bye Bye" if you don't like it.

Heck, when that development group came in and started rebuilding the old IRON HORSE GRILL on Gallitin with plans to add an additional 30,000 of space to it, MRS. STOKES refused to vote on giving them development money saying "I would not put .10 cent into that pile of bricks." Luckly they didn't need her vote. :lol:

But thank you for getting on track and at least discussing my question about what have they done.

Last edited:
Shid, the majority of my Callaway classmates of 1984 white and black left that mofo and only come back to visit their folks. .

Well before any of the current folks were in office. But people would have you believe Jackson's problems just started. People forget this isn't just a Jackson issue, this is a poor state with few resources. The suburbs like Madison and Rankin are thriving only by the low low Mississippi standards. Jackson's biggest problem is poor city planning that dates back to its inception. You see areas with waterfront views where there should be homes and they were zoned for business use.

Shid, the majority of my Callaway classmates of 1984 white and black left that mofo and only come back to visit their folks. My neighbor kids who went to JSU, Ms State, USM etc all left and don't plan on coming back. And the parents don't want us back because of the way isht has been run. Hell Kenny Stokes wife is my cousin and I know them mofos ain't right. LOL. I really hate Jackson can't turn the corner. It is a shame. I love my hometown but it is just gut wrenching to see the none progress. I mean I am glad to see JSU build up around their area. But I mean just the city itself.

When will folks stop blaming the government and look at many of the citizens? North Jackson is thriving, has low crime and the schools in North Jackson are fairly decent.
When a sizable percentage of one's population is stagnant and depends on government handouts and are engaged in criminal activity, how can this be blamed on a mayor or city council?

When 70 percent of families are headed by ONE bread-winner, how is this the mayor's fault? This type of scenario can and is found in most major cities around the nation. That's just the way it is.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well before any of the current folks were in office. But people would have you believe Jackson's problems just started. People forget this isn't just a Jackson issue, this is a poor state with few resources. The suburbs like Madison and Rankin are thriving only by the low low Mississippi standards. Jackson's biggest problem is poor city planning that dates back to its inception. You see areas with waterfront views where there should be homes and they were zoned for business use.

That I do agree with. How any Gov can sit in the Gov's mansion in the Capital city and allow it to fall apart is beyond belief. Dale Danks, Kane Ditto, etc did not do much either but pacify the white folks when they did live in Jackson. The state does bear a lot of the blame not only for Jackson not prospering but the state as a whole.

get out while you can 83, before your house depreciates to only 7,000
:lmao:

ain't you from Crystal Springs?

Where are they moving back to Jayrob? Downtown area?

There are people moving into downtown. A lot of them. Mostly out-of-towners and the young crowd........ Mid 20's to upper 30's. And most of them are BLACK. The Standard Life and Plaza Building is crawling with Black women. :lol:

Where are they moving back to Jayrob? Downtown area?

Downtown, Fondren area. Another thing to consider about why people, blk and white chose the suburbs over Jackson is newer cheaper housing. We haven't had a enough new residential development to keep up with demand. If you're looking to by in that 100-150K range(where most people are looking), there are many more newer, nicer options outside of Jackson. And the realtors steer u to those suburbs. Years ago when i was buying, our realtor tried in vain to get us to Madison County. The point is its not as blk and wht as "Jackson - bad, Madison - good, let's leave". There's a lot to Jackson, good and bad that no one man can solve. That's why the whole idea of this election being the final straw is so foolish.

That I do agree with. How any Gov can sit in the Gov's mansion in the Capital city and allow it to fall apart is beyond belief. Dale Danks, Kane Ditto, etc did not do much either but pacify the white folks when they did live in Jackson. The state does bear a lot of the blame not only for Jackson not prospering but the state as a whole.

Jackson hasn't fallen apart.

Chokwe needs to build the tax base by creating a toll for any cars coming into Jackson. The folks living in Madison, Rankin and surrounding areas make their living working in Jackson but take their tax dollars back to their neighborhoods when the day is over with. They should be held accountable because they're using Jackson's road's, infrastructures, law enforcement etc.

People left for jobs no other reason

When will folks stop blaming the government and look at many of the citizens? North Jackson is thriving, has low crime and the schools in North Jackson are fairly decent.
When a sizable percentage of one's population is stagnant and depends on government handouts and are engaged in criminal activity, how can this be blamed on a mayor or city council?

When 70 percent of families are headed by ONE bread-winner, how is this the mayor's fault? This type of scenario can and is found in most major cities around the nation. That's just the way it is.

Correct, and even younger people with money can't find good housing, because no new upscale subdivisions are being built, and
JR's parents age group got a death hold on those formerly white areas from the mid 80's so people with good salaries have to move to Byram, madison etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back