Jackson Residents--- Ex Jackson Residents--- Interested outsiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

83 who you votin' 4??

Right now.
I'm gonna cast my vote for Jonathan Lee just to spite the others. I say give some new blood a chance.

Frank Bluntson and Chokwe Lumumba will be another "Frank melton" mess if they get elected. They have proven they not gonna be effective. They barely make it to council meetings and council votes. Don't know anything about Regina Quinn.

Harvey "Election Man" Johnson will probably win. He is full election mode after not being available for interviews and comments for the last 2 years. He has been on every TV newscast the last month. He came out Monday talking about the Convention Center Hotel and busness complex was taking bids to start building and announced Capitol Street will be revamped back to two way traffic.

Ole "Election Man" could not pull this one off. Guess people saw he had went back to the same ole Harvey Johnson. Invisable for 3 and 3/4 years and then he all over the place, speaking and announcing projects that go nowhere. I voted for Jonathan Lee but he didn't get the 51% needed to win.

Try some new blood, THAT AIN'T CRAZY BLOOD. :lol:

bilde

Jackson Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr. is flanked by his wife, Kathy, left, and daughter, Charla, as he speaks with a throng of reporters outside his campaign headquarters following his defeat in Tuesday's Democratic primary. / Joe Ellis/The Clarion-Ledger

Jackson Mayor Harvey Johnson ousted............Lee, Lumumba advance to Jackson mayoral runoff
The elimination round is over, and Jackson voters have ousted incumbent Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr.

Jackson businessman Jonathan Lee led the field of 11 Democratic candidates in Tuesday’s primary election. City Councilman Chokwe Lumumba finished second.

“I know my dad is looking down on me tonight,” Lee said. “I feel great. It was a labor of love.”

Lee said he will be back out Wednesday, knocking on doors to share his message about bringing people to the table to solve Jackson’s problems.

Ole "Election Man" could not pull this one off. Guess people saw he had went back to the same ole Harvey Johnson. Invisable for 3 and 3/4 years and then he all over the place, speaking and announcing projects that go nowhere. I voted for Jonathan Lee but he didn't get the 51% needed to win.

Try some new blood, THAT AIN'T CRAZY BLOOD. :lol:

bilde

Jackson Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr. is flanked by his wife, Kathy, left, and daughter, Charla, as he speaks with a throng of reporters outside his campaign headquarters following his defeat in Tuesday's Democratic primary. / Joe Ellis/The Clarion-Ledger

Jackson Mayor Harvey Johnson ousted............Lee, Lumumba advance to Jackson mayoral runoff
The elimination round is over, and Jackson voters have ousted incumbent Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr.

Jackson businessman Jonathan Lee led the field of 11 Democratic candidates in Tuesday’s primary election. City Councilman Chokwe Lumumba finished second.

“I know my dad is looking down on me tonight,” Lee said. “I feel great. It was a labor of love.”

Lee said he will be back out Wednesday, knocking on doors to share his message about bringing people to the table to solve Jackson’s problems.

Yes indeed. My Mom voted for the Lee cat. Looks like he has some good backing too.

Frank Bluntson needs to take his old arse and go retire and sit down to enjoy life. I saw where Doug Anderson had passed a few weeks back. All those guys tried to work too long and not enjoy the fruits of their labor. Time for the young folks to take over the city.

I can honestly say that I am shocked. Now, please let Lee beat Malcolm X jr.

Every body was.
Harvey Johnson didn't just get beat. He got skulldrug. He barely got 20% of the vote if he got that much for a 3rd place finish. Lee should win now. Harvey Johnson voters are not going to vote for Chokwe Lumumba. Regina Quinn said she throwing her voters LEE's way also.

I was surprised by Lumumba's showing - I figured Lee would make the runoff at least but not ole Chokwe. I didn't vote for Lee because there were too many questions about his qualifications and his backers. He protrayed himself as a business owner until legal questions came about - then he put everything on his mama. Where did that 140k Lee put into his campaign at the last minute come from? Not from him that's for sure. I didn't like his answers on some issues - particularly the sales tax commission. Too many questions for me. None of the candidates had much of anything to say about education and what their plans are with the new Charter school bill. Overall I can see why Lee was attractive. This was a weak, weak field of candidates. Lees the guy now, Chokwe has no chance. I hope he's his own man and not a tool.

Last edited:

Bluntson sent his endorsement to Jonathan Lee.
Small voting blocks but ever little bit count. :tup:

Hoping for Jonathan Lee.
He ran in the last election but nobody knew who he was. He stayed with it these last 3 years, getting his name out there and now he is the frontrunner by a wide margin for the runoff.

Mayoral race: Image hurdle for Lumumba; campaign responds with unity slogan
Ward 2 Councilman Chokwe Lumumba entered the Jackson mayor’s race with an image problem.

Critics said he was too radical, too polarizing and his politics too racially charged to become a serious candidate, let alone win it all.

His success at the ballot box during the May 7 primary disproved a lot of that, but his reputation remains a real part of his candidacy that may have tangible consequences on his performance as the face of Mississippi’s largest city.

“The mayor, whether it’s fair or not, generally personifies the image of the city,” says State Sen. John Horhn, D-Jackson. “And so you want that image to be a positive one. A proactive one, and one that engenders desire to be supportive. If you are perceived to be difficult to deal with, it sort of attaches on to the idea that the city is difficult to deal with.”

Perhaps the most publicized criticisms of Lumumba involve his dealings with judges.

Last edited:
Which is why we don't need any more of this "click" shat about who is more DEMO, Black, whose cutting their support checks, or what racial makeup are his backers. LaCumba has already been caught catering to the "US vs Them" crowd.

New Lee campaign ad uses Lumumba's own words against him

Lumumba reacts to Lee campaign advertisement

Watching the entire clip, it's clear Lumumba's words were taken out of context, especially the part about Jesus. Unfortunate but all's fair in politics. Neither of these guys do it for me. Lee might be another Frank Melton for all we know. A total blank slate with a misleading background. Lumumba is unacceptable for 1/3 of the city's residents.

The same ole click is talking the "he not black enough" crap.
Let ya'll guess who I'm talking about. Hint......... Hes big, wide, loudmouthed, and has not done a thing for Jackson Ward 3 or as Supervisor District 5. :lol:

Jackson mayoral runoff: Lee, Lumumba's positions on key issues
Businessman Jonathan Lee and Ward 2 Councilman Chokwe Lumumba will face off Tuesday in a runoff for the Jackson mayor’s seat.

The winner will take the Democratic nod for mayor and head into the general election a heavy favorite to beat three independent candidates who also are seeking the seat.

Under municipal election rules, registered voters can still vote in the runoff even if they sat out the May 7 primary election.

WHERE THEY STAND

Here’s where the remaining Democratic candidates for mayor of Jackson stand on the issues:

Public safety

Jonathan Lee
• New police chief and a public safety director to oversee administrative functions.
• More things that make people “feel safe” like cops on bikes
• Better paths for career advancement at JPD

Chokwe Lumumba
• Won’t commit outright to new chief; wants chief to live in Jackson
• Kill “culture of crime” by instilling values
• Create positive alternatives like basketball leagues, other recreation

Lee, Lumumba prepare for Runoff Election.........WLBT TV3 video

Last Minute Dirty Tricks In Jackson Mayor's Race....WJTV TV12 video

Same click and mentality that Jackson don't need anymore.
Same mentality and views of "Dwhiteman-gonna-get-us" that we don't need. Lumumba has only changed his stripes for the public since he won the Ward 2 election. Dude is a loose cannon. He barely shows up for council meetings and votes. In the same click as the Stokes.

Lumumba would be the final nail in the coffin for Jackson as for investment. That would be 100% worse than Frank meltons terms in office which set Jackson back 20 years as for development.

Same click and mentality that Jackson don't need anymore.
Same mentality and views of "Dwhiteman-gonna-get-us" that we don't need. Lumumba has only changed his stripes for the public since he won the Ward 2 election. Dude is a loose cannon. He barely shows up for council meetings and votes. In the same click as the Stokes.

Lumumba would be the final nail in the coffin for Jackson as for investment. That would be 100% worse than Frank meltons terms in office which set Jackson back 20 years as for development.

They don't hear you frat. We got to get rid of the 60s mentality. That era is over. Make no mistake, we don't need to forget it. But to advance the city, you got to play the game like them folks in Atlanta and other cities have done that have made progress. The whites ain't going to get black folks in Jackson. The black folks are already getting each other, while the white folks are in Madison, Rankin etc counties laughing their dumb arses off.

They don't hear you frat. We got to get rid of the 60s mentality. That era is over. Make no mistake, we don't need to forget it. But to advance the city, you got to play the game like them folks in Atlanta and other cities have done that have made progress. The whites ain't going to get black folks in Jackson. The black folks are already getting each other, while the white folks are in Madison, Rankin etc counties laughing their dumb arses off.

I got to find that endorsement news video with Lumumba and his endorsement crew in front of city hall last week. All I could do was shake my head when I saw that. Ya'll think people, white and black with money, are leaving Jackson now, let Lumumba win. :lol:

People that want to invest in this city are not going to go through another "us vs them" term like Frank melton had. Harvey Johnson was in the middle but people got tired of his "non-communication" crap also. They are not going to even try to deal with Lumumba - Stokes running Jackson. :lol:

Last edited:
83, you gone leave Jackson if Chokwe wins?

Dude.
If I had enough paid into my house where I could get enough money to move comfortably, I would have moved from Jackson when they forced our neighborhood into Kennth Stokes Ward 3. Chokwe ain't gonna do crap except point fingers at DWHITE man whenever he scrapes a dead body off the streets of a black neighborhood in Jackson. They already screaming that non-sense about white folks in Madison county gonna take over Jackson if Lee win.

They been screaming "if you don't like it, then Bye-Bye" for years. Guess what. People with money said Bye-Bye" years ago and it is showing in the surrounding surburbs. Then they clown about "nobody will spend money here" after they piss people off and make them leave. And don't give me that "it's just the white people moving" crap. Jackson population has dipped for 2 str8 decades with no gains while the burbs are growing at record pace for people and developments with 1/10 of the City of jacksons population. :lol:

Those private schools like JA, Jackson Prep, etc, used to be all white. They still majority white but they got so many black kids enrolled in those places in the Burbs or "white neighborhoods" off Old canton Rd where JA is, it's not even shocking to see anymore.

Last edited:
so tell me how you think Jackson will be if Lee wins.

Lee has lived in the Georgetown neighborhood all his life. Anybody located near this area know Georgetown is one of the blackest neighborhoods in Jackson. One of the oldest also. But let Lumumba and Stokes tell it, "he a REPUB from Madison County" and that is all their core supporters need to hear. They are deaf to anything you try to tell them after that. That is the only way they know how to campaign.

Lee ran for Mayor in the last election and lost to Harvey Johnson because nobody knew him. Since then, he has spent the last 4 years making the rounds, getting his name out there not only in Jackson but the surrounding counties business communities also.

It worked.
Lee has a chance to actually do business with development groups from the surrounding burbs because supporters in Jackson and the burbs don't see him as devisive. Lumumba, Stokes, etc., has been telling white people to go to hell and calling blacks with money and white contacts "uncle Tom" for years. Nobody is going to even try to work with them. Nobody is going to work with a 60 year old bully telling citizens "YO MAMMA" like a 5 year old. :lol:

This election will stamp Jacksons path as either moving forward into the future or a continued path to being a moneyless ghost town while the burbs take over in developement.

Last edited:
So you're saying Lee lived in Georgetown all his life?
I heard he left when he was 11 yrs old. BUT even if that was true, that would mean
he grew up around and under Stokes that you dislike so much.

Anyway what about the independent candidate?

So you're saying Lee lived in Georgetown all his life?
I heard he left when he was 11 yrs old. BUT even if that was true, that would mean
he grew up around and under Stokes that you dislike so much.

Anyway what about the independent candidate?

So everybody from Georgetown is supposed to act like Stokes?
And because Lee moved at 11, moved back, and still has family over there, he is supposed to be the "white mans flunkey?" So in order to be real, a black man must stay in the poverty zone all his life, never move, never try anything new like Lee did.
And we wonder why blacks keep screwing themselves when it come to progression and moving forward.

If you had the pleasure of listening to mumble mouth Stokes as long as I have, you would not question how stupid and ineffective he is as a politician. Dude rounds people up off the streets and bus them to protest FOR various crimminals that get caught up in shat gone bad. Example: Go in store, try to rob it, get blasted. Stokes call for the store owners and police to be punished. :lol:

I never have and never will vote for a Stokes. I'll be dammed if I vote for Lumumba.
Not even at Gunpoint. We done had one crazy activest mofo in the mayors office for 8 years and ya'll saw how that turned out. :lol:

Don't know the independent candidate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back