SWAC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME 2019 & BEYOND

The SCG should be in an environment where it has the most potential to bring in as much revenue as possible for the league

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Honest to God answer: NO!

Truthfully, I would love that for UAPB because it would be great for the University. But sadly, Golden Lion Stadium does not have the seating capacity to hold an SCG. Additionally, the city of Pine Bluff has hardly any industries (as far as entertainment/social venues) for visitors. And the city of Pine Bluff is NOTORIOUS for jacking up the prices of hotels during any big event! Our homecoming is a prime example. Pine Bluff has gotten so horrible at this that my alumni chapter blocked off rooms at 2 hotels here in Little Rock who gave a discount price. My chapter also paid for the rental of 2 buses that would transport alumni to-and-fro LR to PB at a one-time price of $25 (single) $60 (couples) so they could enjoy HC festivities.

If it were ever decided that the SCG is held at the #1 team's stadium, people would DEFINITELY select Little Rock for their hotels, entertainment, social venues, and that would not profit UAPB.

No, I had absolutely no problem taking my hind part to Birmingham those only 2 times we went. If my team ever makes it back to the SCG, I'll be in Bucktussa, TX (thanks @Bewildered ) if that's where it's gonna be.

As funny as it sounds UAPB’s Stadium is perfect for an outdoor championship game seating wise. Not too big or small.

The SCG should be in an environment where it has the most potential to bring in as much revenue as possible for the league

This is true Kendrick....

I think Birmingham just put everything out there for free and planned on getting their money back in other ways.

As funny as it sounds UAPB’s Stadium is perfect for an outdoor championship game seating wise. Not too big or small.

Our seating capacity is about 15,000-16,000. When we played Jackson in 2012, the attendance was about almost 33,000-35,000. If there were ever to be another UAPB/JSU matchup, with us being the #1 team, there is no way our stadium could hold that size. I'm not saying the rest of the Eastern Division schools don't have a large following; however, based on what I've seen from JSU and how they can get 26,000+ on a regular Thursday night, I could see us having the SCG at our place IF Jackson State is NOT our opponent.

@Fiyah

The Bayou Classic is the most recognized sporting event for the SWAC whether people like it or not. Folks can scream Circle City Classic etc....but that's just pride.

The larger the venue for a SWAC tournament...the worse it looks on television. We have a chance to show the world our campus and facilities.

Ok...do a rotational SWAC championship. Just like they do the BCS Championship.

If I'm not mistaken every SWAC school has had television coverage.

What you do is put 10 numbers in a bag. Get the ADs to pull and whatever number they pull is the order. Make it a 10 year promise starting next year. After the 10th year the process starts over....Logistics solved....we know the SWAC championship will be for the next 10. If a schools feels that they need to do some repairs or upgrade then they can trade with another school.

See all it takes is compromise.

This solve's Fiyah's issue with logistics of teams knowing where to go.....this solves the problem of a team consistently holding it.

For example if the drawings happened today:
*This is hypothetical IF they drew the numbers 1-10

2019 Southern
2020 Texas Southern
2021 Alabama A&M
2022 Grambling
2023 Mississippi Valley
2024 Jackson State
2025 UAPB
2026 Prairie View
2027 Alcorn
2028 Alabama State
2029 Southern
2030 Texas Southern
2031 Alabama A&M
2032 Grambling
2033 Mississippi Valley
2034 Jackson State
2035 UAPB
2036 Prairie View
2037 Alcorn
2038 Alabama State
2039 Souther
etc........
Founder, sooner or later you guys are going to realize *uer *harp sabatoged those championships in H-town. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Honest to God answer: NO!

Truthfully, I would love that for UAPB because it would be great for the University. But sadly, Golden Lion Stadium does not have the seating capacity to hold an SCG. Additionally, the city of Pine Bluff has hardly any industries (as far as entertainment/social venues) for visitors. And the city of Pine Bluff is NOTORIOUS for jacking up the prices of hotels during any big event! Our homecoming is a prime example. Pine Bluff has gotten so horrible at this that my alumni chapter blocked off rooms at 2 hotels here in Little Rock who gave a discount price. My chapter also paid for the rental of 2 buses that would transport alumni to-and-fro LR to PB at a one-time price of $25 (single) $60 (couples) so they could enjoy HC festivities.

If it were ever decided that the SCG is held at the #1 team's stadium, people would DEFINITELY select Little Rock for their hotels, entertainment, social venues, and that would not profit UAPB.

No, I had absolutely no problem taking my hind part to Birmingham those only 2 times we went. If my team ever makes it back to the SCG, I'll be in Bucktussa, TX (thanks @Bewildered ) if that's where it's gonna be.
Yeah I’ve been to every Grambling SCG as well. Where I’m

The suggested option stems off the fact that they were going to cancel the SCG completely. If it is such a financial burden, would we not be better served to host it on someone’s campus and cut the overhead dramatically? We cannot afford as a conference to lose one of our only live nationally televised games.

It may even help with the expansion of our stadiums in the long run.

I don’t know why this thing cut off my response but I tried to update it and it didn’t work. Oh well.

Nope...cannot ride with that. Championships should be a neutral sites.....period.

The REAL answer to the problem is the Bayou Classic. Everybody knows it but no one wants to say it.

Why is the Bayou Classic a problem, Please tell us? Yet the PWCs play RIVARLY WEEKEND that same weekend and have no issues with their Championship Games the following weekend. We make more excuses than a mofo in jail who got caught red handed. I am sure Ohio State vs Michigan is a problem for the Big Ten to be ready for their Big Ten title game. Southern and Grambling fans and alums have NO DAMN EXCUSE for not supporting their team in the SCG. The BC should not be an issue. For the rest of the schools, if your team is in the SCG then BC has no impact on the SCG. If TxSU, PV or UAPB were SCG bound. The BC is of no consequence. The only people it impacts is the SU and Gram folks. And we should have no excuse. If you believe in your team. Start saving for the BC and SCG before the season.

Hell you can make the logistics easy. Just pick a West or East site and then rotate. Pick Jackson and Houston. Or B-ham and New Orleans. Or just let Chuck figure out where the best place to have the SCG and work out the rest.

Last edited:
Our seating capacity is about 15,000-16,000. When we played Jackson in 2012, the attendance was about almost 33,000-35,000. If there were ever to be another UAPB/JSU matchup, with us being the #1 team, there is no way our stadium could hold that size. I'm not saying the rest of the Eastern Division schools don't have a large following; however, based on what I've seen from JSU and how they can get 26,000+ on a regular Thursday night, I could see us having the SCG at our place IF Jackson State is NOT our opponent.

In my opinion seeing a SWAC championship packed like that is EXACTLY what I want....see my post earlier. These large venues depending on the camera angle can make the game seem like a ghost town.

Why is the Bayou Classic a problem, Please tell us? Yet the PWCs play RIVARLY WEEKEND that same weekend and have no issues with their Championship Games the following weekend. We make more excuses than a mofo in jail who got caught red handed. I am sure Ohio State vs Michigan is a problem for the Big Ten to be ready for their Big Ten title game. Southern and Grambling fans and alums have NO DAMN EXCUSE for not supporting their team in the SCG. The BC should not be an issue. For the rest of the schools, if your team is in the SCG then BC has no impact on the SCG. If TxSU, PV or UAPB were SCG bound. The BC is of no consequence. The only people it impacts is the SU and Gram folks. And we should have no excuse. If you believe in your team. Start saving for the BC and SCG before the season.

Hell you can make the logistics easy. Just pick a West or East site and then rotate. Pick Jackson and Houston. Or B-ham and New Orleans. Or just let Chuck figure out where the best place to have the SCG and work out the rest.

PREACH!

Founder, sooner or later you guys are going to realize *uer *harp sabatoged those championships in H-town. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Duer is no longer the commissioner....time to move on.

Yeah I’ve been to every Grambling SCG as well. Where I’m

The suggested option stems off the fact that they were going to cancel the SCG completely. If it is such a financial burden, would we not be better served to host it on someone’s campus and cut the overhead dramatically? We cannot afford as a conference to lose one of our only live nationally televised games.

It may even help with the expansion of our stadiums in the long run.

They don't understand this G4L....they don't get that this cuts overhead and boost the host universities economy. I would even go as far as to have a certain percentage going to the host school for upgrades.

LOL. You’re blowing out the budget. Aim high brother

LOL..he is not blowing out the budget. However, by the time someone buys a Migos ticket, they prob good on the weekend! lol

BUT if you get sponsors, you can aim as high as you want. Houston is the best place to make the game an "event". If it's JUST the game, Jackson wins.

Let's not act brand new JR. You know good and well the curfuffle (as Judge Judy would say) scheduling the Bayou Classic Thanksgiving weekend has caused. FCS games are suppose to be finished the week before Thanksgiving. To me it makes no difference...just don't whine when your school has to play 3 games in four weeks (or thereabout).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let's not act brand new JR. You know good and well the curfuffle (as Judge Judy would say) scheduling the Bayou Classic Thanksgiving weekend has caused. FCS games are suppose to be finished the week before Thanksgiving. To me it makes no difference...just don't whine when your school has to play 3 games in four weeks (or thereabout).

That's only if they are participating in the playoffs.

What does that have to do with the SCG storyline. We not playing in the FCS playoffs as a conference anyway. Having a SCG killed that. Not the BC. We have been the SCG right after the BC several times. So has Gram.

No one is whining about that but schools who have no chance of even winning the SWAC. SU surely not whining about playing the BC, then SCG and then the CB if we make it that far. I welcome that opportunity as a fan and alum. Got my money ready to travel to each of those venues if we get there.

What does that have to do with the SCG storyline. We not playing in the FCS playoffs as a conference anyway. Having a SCG killed that. Not the BC. We have been the SCG right after the BC several times. So has Gram.

No one is whining about that but schools who have no chance of even winning the SWAC. SU surely not whining about playing the BC, then SCG and then the CB if we make it that far. I welcome that opportunity as a fan and alum. Got my money ready to travel to each of those venues if we get there.
Talk to your Nawf LA cousins.............

That's only if they are participating in the playoffs.
This is true but if all SWAC schools finished before Thanksgiving would that would alleviate the three big events back to back to back.

I get it though...I wouldn't give up the payday of the Bayou Classic either. Just don't whine when your team makes it to the SCG and represents in the Celebration Bowl.

But you know who is...........

This is true but if all SWAC schools finished before Thanksgiving would that would alleviate the three big events back to back to back.

I get it though...I wouldn't give up the payday of the Bayou Classic either. Just don't whine when your team makes it to the SCG and represents in the Celebration Bowl.

The only folks whining about the BC are the losing programs that don't have a dog in this hunt and those that don't have enough common sense to budget their money for events of personal interest...

Houston is big and could not generate anymore interest than other foot print cities.

Back