SWAC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME 2019 & BEYOND

Locations are not the issue. Logistics is the issue.

Those gsu folks can't plan to go to a SCG and BC in the same year knowing where they will be played months out. How they gonna plan to go a SCG with a 1 week notice of where it will be played.

LOGISTICS

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
"But, the weather!"

What's funny is how the average December weather in Bham is about the same as Ruston. Highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s. LOL.

I hope you realize the CIAA doesn’t sponsor these events.... these are local promoters in Charlotte. The CIAA isnt getting a dime from these events.

Which is why I hope another city hosts it so that the conference that get more money than the crumbs Charlotte was giving them. Anytime one of these promoters wanna do something "official" they have to break off some dough.

As someone said, it's not that the SWAC can't afford to pay 100-200K to book someone but right now it doesn't make sense. You don't want the promoters to make a killing off the SCG while the conference makes nothing like the CIAA. The CIAA is HUGE and we know it is an event but the conference not making anything off the events always bothered me (meanwhile Charlotte blocks off rooms and price gouges making a killing). They need to go safe in Birmingham and then gradually step it up in whatever city gets the SCG afterwards.

See bold above......

This is a major problem if you have 3-4 teams vying to host the game on the last weekend of the season especially if tie breakers are involved.

If its going to be played on the campuses then they just need to open it up for bidding ahead of time like the Superbowl if a school wants to host the SCG. Its not going to work any other way.

Those gsu folks can't plan to go to a SCG and BC in the same year knowing where they will be played months out. How they gonna plan to go a SCG with a 1 week notice of where it will be played.

LOGISTICS

Dude really....SMH....

It's simple....if you think you will be going you plan to go. That's why we have officials who negotiate travel. It's not rocket science just a simple matter of logistics and people doing their job.

If its going to be played on the campuses then they just need to open it up for bidding ahead of time like the Superbowl if a school wants to host the SCG. Its not going to work any other way.

Why bid....just go to the school that is #1 in the conference. Hell there have been times during the Bayou Classic that even if GSU lost we were #1 in the conference.

black people make stuff difficult.

See bold above......

This is a major problem if you have 3-4 teams vying to host the game on the last weekend of the season especially if tie breakers are involved.

No it is not a logistical problem.

First the SWAC office has to have rules in place for scheduling. Meaning the early part of the schedule should be filled with divisional games. The latter filled with non divisional games. By the mid ways the season a lot of teams are already out of the mix to be considered.

The next task is you discuss pushing the Celebration Bowl back a week.

The problem is people don't want to exercise brain power to make it work.

First the SWAC office has to have rules in place for scheduling. Meaning the early part of the schedule should be filled with divisional games. The latter filled with non divisional games. By the mid ways the season a lot of teams are already out of the mix to be considered.

If you push the Celebration Bowl the competition for TV time get thicker. Having the Celebration Bowl when it is held virtually assures a national TV audience at a time favorable to maximize viewership.

If you push the Celebration Bowl the competition for TV time get thicker. Having the Celebration Bowl when it is held virtually assures a national TV audience at a time favorable to maximize viewership.

There is another remedy.

My solution is simple.

Since GSU won the SWAC championship last year allow GSU to host it this year. The reward for the winning the SWAC Championship will be to host it on your campus the next year.

This would give teams more motivation to win.

Jesus folks make stuff so hard.

There is another remedy.

My solution is simple.

Since GSU won the SWAC championship last year allow GSU to host it this year. The reward for the winning the SWAC Championship will be to host it on your campus the next year.

Nope...cannot ride with that. Championships should be a neutral sites.....period.

The REAL answer to the problem is the Bayou Classic. Everybody knows it but no one wants to say it.

If you don't know why the CIAA Basketball Tournament is as big as it is ... I'm greatly disappointed.

Would you kindly and proudly explain why has this event grows each and every year?

I'm not aware of why folks and artists sign up for this event, many day parties and concerts are put on for this weekend, would you please explain to me why such activities are put on this weekend for this Tournament. Thanks

I feel no shame of not knowing.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...89d714ca4dd_story.html?utm_term=.e6567029ae49

Either way, the point stands that it's not wise for the SWAC to do what you're suggesting. They'll still bring in over 20,000 this season in the Gump either way for the SCG.

Why is it not wise?

But it's wise for the CIAA to have these events surrounding their tournament?

Breh we can disagree, no problem, but If you don't surround this event with something that will attract the youth, this event will be stale especially by it now being moved out of Houston. This aint 1998 breh

Folks in my age range don't even come to events to see the games, they come to events like this for the stuff that's going on outside of the event. So if the SWAC can't see this then they will always behind the 8ball.

Nobody not trying to see KeKe Wyant and Avant or Alexander O'Neall perform either. If the SWAC don't link up with, NBA Youngboys, Lil Babys Meek Mills, Wayne, H.E.Rs., Travis Scotts, Migos, and the Ella Maes, Charlie Wilsons, Anita Bakers, The Times, then this is a waste of time for them to even have this mess.

Nobody is just coming to a game anymore, it's not 1998. Ppl wanna socialize at events like this, IG live, Snap Chat live, tweet, aint nobody IG living at a Keke Wyatt or Avant or Alexander O'neal concert lol, that's why the CIAA continues to stay strong and a place that everybody around the world want to go to. Because a Meek will show up, a Nikki will pull up or the Migos will perform, ppl wanna IG live for those events

Yea the CIAA may not have a hand in getting these artists but they have a hand in making sure events are being taken place and they know who will be at these events, best believe a kick-back from these events, they are getting. They aint just getting money at the games, as I stated, ppl don't even go to the games anymore, but the outside noise that happens around that weekend has ppl coming back to the CIAA every year.

Aint nobody coming back to the SWAC ship because the SWAC aint in everybody mouth or on ppl's mind like that because the stuff on the outside aint what's up. sh1t is dead and outdated

Dude really....SMH....

It's simple....if you think you will be going you plan to go. That's why we have officials who negotiate travel. It's not rocket science just a simple matter of logistics and people doing their job.

I told you ppl still think like it's 1998 out here Lol

There is another remedy.

My solution is simple.

What if Grambling doesn’t win the West, tho?

Nope...cannot ride with that. Championships should be a neutral sites.....period.

The REAL answer to the problem is the Bayou Classic. Everybody knows it but no one wants to say it.

@Fiyah

The Bayou Classic is the most recognized sporting event for the SWAC whether people like it or not. Folks can scream Circle City Classic etc....but that's just pride.

The larger the venue for a SWAC tournament...the worse it looks on television. We have a chance to show the world our campus and facilities.

Ok...do a rotational SWAC championship. Just like they do the BCS Championship.

If I'm not mistaken every SWAC school has had television coverage.

What you do is put 10 numbers in a bag. Get the ADs to pull and whatever number they pull is the order. Make it a 10 year promise starting next year. After the 10th year the process starts over....Logistics solved....we know the SWAC championship will be for the next 10. If a schools feels that they need to do some repairs or upgrade then they can trade with another school.

See all it takes is compromise.

This solve's Fiyah's issue with logistics of teams knowing where to go.....this solves the problem of a team consistently holding it.

For example if the drawings happened today:
*This is hypothetical IF they drew the numbers 1-10

2019 Southern
2020 Texas Southern
2021 Alabama A&M
2022 Grambling
2023 Mississippi Valley
2024 Jackson State
2025 UAPB
2026 Prairie View
2027 Alcorn
2028 Alabama State
2029 Southern
2030 Texas Southern
2031 Alabama A&M
2032 Grambling
2033 Mississippi Valley
2034 Jackson State
2035 UAPB
2036 Prairie View
2037 Alcorn
2038 Alabama State
2039 Souther
etc........

Last edited:
Dude really....SMH....

How can you plan to go somewhere when you won't know where to go until the week before, if it comes down to the last week of the season. I can plan now for Birmingham knowing when and where the SCG will be held. I can't plan my destination if I have to wait to see who will host it.

What people are you talking about to plan my trip not doing their job?

Again, do you know what and how logistics work?

So since the BC is a divisional game you want it moved from it's current slot to a mid season game?
But none of that matters since all of the conference games played count in the final standings no matter when they are played.

Also ESPN Events set the bowl schedules for the game they own (which is almost all of them). Folks already complaining about the game being played too close to christmas and they don't have no money. How you gonna get them to go to a game that will be the week of christmas. But our spot to kick off the bowl season is set on free television so anyone can watch our teams played and not have to have cable to watch it.

How can you plan to go somewhere when you won't know where to go until the week before, if it comes down to the last week of the season. I can plan now for Birmingham knowing when and where the SCG will be held. I can't plan my destination if I have to wait to see who will host it.

What people are you talking about to plan my trip not doing their job?

Again, do you know what and how logistics work?

So since the BC is a divisional game you want it moved from it's current slot to a mid season game?
But none of that matters since all of the conference games played count in the final standings no matter when they are played.

Also ESPN Events set the bowl schedules for the game they own (which is almost all of them). Folks already complaining about the game being played too close to christmas and they don't have no money. How you gonna get them to go to a game that will be the week of christmas. But our spot to kick off the bowl season is set on free television so anyone can watch our teams played and not have to have cable to watch it.

Fiyah read my post in response to Herb....that is a clear solution to all your logistical concerns.

The stuff is simple...the problem is folks are locked in to what was done in the past and don't want to change.

Quick questions

As an alum, would you get excited to see a SWAC football championship game at your respective home stadium?

UAPB?

Honest to God answer: NO!

Truthfully, I would love that for UAPB because it would be great for the University. But sadly, Golden Lion Stadium does not have the seating capacity to hold an SCG. Additionally, the city of Pine Bluff has hardly any industries (as far as entertainment/social venues) for visitors. And the city of Pine Bluff is NOTORIOUS for jacking up the prices of hotels during any big event! Our homecoming is a prime example. Pine Bluff has gotten so horrible at this that my alumni chapter blocked off rooms at 2 hotels here in Little Rock who gave a discount price. My chapter also paid for the rental of 2 buses that would transport alumni to-and-fro LR to PB at a one-time price of $25 (single) $60 (couples) so they could enjoy HC festivities.

If it were ever decided that the SCG is held at the #1 team's stadium, people would DEFINITELY select Little Rock for their hotels, entertainment, social venues, and that would not profit UAPB.

Do you require a SCG to be in a city for you to attend? Would a football season filled with winning not be topped off by a second homecoming on your damn campus?

No, I had absolutely no problem taking my hind part to Birmingham those only 2 times we went. If my team ever makes it back to the SCG, I'll be in Bucktussa, TX (thanks @Bewildered ) if that's where it's gonna be.

Back