Swac Band Extravaganza December 12, 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
This year several events have been added to championship week, including a Band Extravaganza on Friday night December 12th at Fairpark Grandstands and a Step Show and Concert, December 13th, following the game. All 10 SWAC band are scheduled to appear.

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek2: You mean to tell me that there is actually going to be an event scheduled this year that involves a dare I say "SWAC BATTLE OF THE BANDS" ? I must be dreamin' :eek: How did this come about. Am I the only one who is questioning this? This would be a pretty big event. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Drumline 2" cameras came around this little function. I guess I'm like everybody else everytime we here something like this. :rolleyes: I'll believe it when I see it.

They had one before, in 99, and all the bands didn't show Supa. We'll see how this one shakes out.

I HOPE EVERY ONE WILL SHOW, IT'S A MONEY THING IF THE PROVIDE__________________
THE MONEY EVERYBODY WOULD SHOW.

Originally posted by s phi s
They had one before, in 99, and all the bands didn't show Supa. We'll see how this one shakes out.

If I am not mistaking, it was the Texas Bands PVAMU & TxSU who pulled the
"Okie Doke" and didn't show !

Originally posted by Quietstorm
If I am not mistaking, it was the Texas Bands PVAMU & TxSU who pulled the
"Okie Doke" and didn't show !

You are not mistaken. Both Texas bands didn't show. If I'm not mistaken, there was another band that didn't show.

Grambling wasn't there either. It takes a lot of money to move a marching band and I believed it wasn't promoted well in 99.

if you want to be technical the only bands that were in the battle of the bands were valley, alabama a&m, alcorn and bama st or pine bluff i think correct me if i'm wrong. it was promoted wrong. bands are not going to come for free it's going to take some money. the elite bands(the bands that have the names like grambling, su, and jackson was not there, it isn't a battle of the bands without the big name bands. truly i wish all will show and hopefully their would be quality, qualified judges so that we can see who really is the number one band, because at the point in time it's based off opinion.

TUSKEEGEE WASN'T THERE , I WOULD HAVE REMEBER THOSE UGLY COLORS LOL, AND OH IT WAS A SWAC BATTLE OF THE BANDS IT WAS HELD I THINK AFTER THE SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

I could have sworn I saw them go on the field first. Maybe it was a high school band but, they had their colors.

THE BANDS LIKE GRAM, SU, JSU WOULD HAVE MADE THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS MORE INTERESTING BECUASE OF THE POPULARITY AND THEY ARE THE 3 LEGENDARY BANDS OF THE SWAC.

YEP THEY WERE PLAYING EACH OTHER FOR THE SWAC TITLE,BUT DIDN'T PARTICIPATE IN THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Well,... its a good thing I saved my money and stayed at home because I would have been highly upset. Well there's no need to ask for a film copy on this one.

you still had 7 of the 10 SWAC marching bands in one place. That hasn't happened in a very, very long time. I'm pretty sure no one on this board was around. I am glad that the SWAC is announcing this 5 months before it is to happen. That way the schools can make plans to attend way in advance. The one in 99 increased the attendance of the game.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
This year several events have been added to championship week, including a Band Extravaganza on Friday night December 12th at Fairpark Grandstands and a Step Show and Concert, December 13th, following the game. All 10 SWAC band are scheduled to appear.

Well...if its going to be done this way, I hope the bands in the SCG do not play on Friday night. Save their evaluation for their performance during halftime of the game and announce the winner after the game. That will give extra incentive for people to hang around for the game. We all know that there are people who will come for everything but the game.

No, it wasn't promoted well in 99'. It will be a good idea to have on Friday night instead of durring the day of the game. I think all of the bands perforemd after the game that year except the "Boom" and the "U". I left after one band. I wish some of these idiots would realize that there is more to a battle of the bands or just half time than dancing from begining to end. I could name a few.

I think it should be formatted this time as well. More stands performances/tunes. .

Start with a march by each band.

Have an elimination round.

Let the crowd or the band directors be the judge.
Some thing! With that many schools, they will need something to keep it interesting.

It gets boring really fast seeing 6 or seven bands take the field and do the same dance routine. I would rather they battle it out in the stands. How long can you go?

Good point:; however, they still need to do somethin different than each band doing a filed show and dancing for ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back