SCSU vs BCC? SCSU is a better option for the SWAC and here’s why

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Odds are against them at the moment... There are just no justifiable reasons for them other than FAMU rivalry... all other variables says no!

Outside of travel, if BCU has the accreditation and financial issues solved(which it seems to be trending that way) BCU becomes an excellent addition to the SWAC.Before the schools financial problems, they probably had the best run athletic department in the MEAC.

Outside of travel, if BCU has the accreditation and financial issues solved(which it seems to be trending that way) BCU becomes an excellent addition to the SWAC.Before the schools financial problems, they probably had the best run athletic department in the MEAC.
Those things may be Fine and true but how do they affect other SWAC member institutions? There would need to be a financial windfall through marketing or TV deal that would counter any negative impact of a BCU membership. I just don’t see the value at this time. No emotional decisions just those based on strong business principles... This just doesn’t make business sense!

Those things may be Fine and true but how do they affect other SWAC member institutions? There would need to be a financial windfall through marketing or TV deal that would counter any negative impact of a BCU membership. I just don’t see the value at this time. No emotional decisions just those based on strong business principles... This just doesn’t make business sense!

What would be the negative impact?

Bethune Cookman is in Daytona Beach.
The Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne TV market is the 18th largest in the US.

What would be the negative impact?
There will be a negative impact from fans support vs cost associated with BCU membership. FAMU vs BCU is night and day, apples 2 oranges when it comes to evaluating membership. Revenue impact has to be a part of a litmus test when making such decisions. BCU would be a negative hit to all Athletics departments not named FAMU And possibly Bama State.

If SC State was smart they would join Conference Carolinas Div 2...or SAC...It would reduce travel cost more then half.

Last edited:
TSU and PV are in the Houston media market, how has that worked out in the conference favor? I don’t know the answer to this question so please help me out.

Let me preface this by saying. I'm not fully endorsing BCU for the SWAC. I know @FAM4lyfe said BCU's on better footing at the moment. Tennessee State stays the elusive target in this exercise. But, BCU should merit some discussion as an alternative. I mean, it's a far better alternative than waiting for insert-your-favorite-D2-or-NAIA-school here hemming and hawing over a move-up and the money it takes for such a move up to FCS.

That's a fair question. I think administrations from both schools in the past haven't put their best efforts into understanding and maximizing their value into the market, working to gain a larger foothold. Houston's a unique beast with the high number of non-native Houston folks in the market, and the competition from the major sports team and Aggie and Longhorn.

I think there's value into getting into that Central Florida market, with respect to gaining some additional sponsorships and more importantly showcasing all of our members to another market for students. If a long-term goal of a SWAC move-up to FBS is on McClelland's vision board, it has to consider broadcast contracts and markets schools are located. And BCU has location on its side. Remember, this last round of conference expansion had more to do with markets and (potential) TV contracts than conference expansion in the 90s.

Nashville is currently the 28th largest market, next door to No. 50 Memphis. BCU and FAMU together could make inroads to Tampa-St. Pete (No. 12), Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (No. 16), West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce (No. 36) and Jacksonville (No. 41).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let me preface this by saying. I'm not fully endorsing BCU for the SWAC. I know @FAM4lyfe said BCU's on better footing at the moment. Tennessee State stays the elusive target in this exercise. But, BCU should merit some discussion as an alternative. I mean, it's a far better alternative than waiting for insert-your-favorite-D2-or-NAIA-school here hemming and hawing over a move-up and the money it takes for such a move up to FCS.

That's a fair question. I think administrations from both schools in the past haven't put their best efforts into understanding and maximizing their value into the market, working to gain a larger foothold. Houston's a unique beast with the high number of non-native Houston folks in the market, and the competition from the major sports team and Aggie and Longhorn.

I think there's value into getting into that Central Florida market, with respect to gaining some additional sponsorships and more importantly showcasing all of our members to another market for students. If a long-term goal of a SWAC move-up to FBS is on McClelland's vision board, it has to consider broadcast contracts and markets schools are located. And BCU has location on its side. Remember, this last round of conference expansion had more to do with markets and (potential) TV contracts than conference expansion in the 90s.

Nashville is currently the 28th largest market, next door to No. 50 Memphis. BCU and FAMU together could make inroads to Tampa-St. Pete (No. 12), Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (No. 16), West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce (No. 36) and Jacksonville (No. 41).
I get what you’re saying but if you are business unit head as is the AD’s and Presidents at our member schools with P&L responsibilities, BCU doesn’t make sense unless there is a significant financial upside to incurring the additional cost associated with there membership. That can come from TV deals within those markets you mentioned but they don’t today. Athletics is a business regardless of how some might want to view it.
‘The only way I see BCU gaining membership at this time would be to appease FAMU, nothing more to it. If you can’t show how revenue will be generated by simply gaining access to these markets then it’s just an exercise in futility. Potential vs Kinetic...

I get what you’re saying but if you are business unit head as is the AD’s and Presidents at our member schools with P&L responsibilities, BCU doesn’t make sense unless there is a significant financial upside to incurring the additional cost associated with there membership. That can come from TV deals within those markets you mentioned but they don’t today. Athletics is a business regardless of how some might want to view it.
‘The only way I see BCU gaining membership at this time would be to appease FAMU, nothing more to it. If you can’t show how revenue will be generated by simply gaining access to these markets then it’s just an exercise in futility. Potential vs Kinetic...

Duly noted. I agree with you fully. The lure of the TV markets is probably BCU's best argument. But as everything sits today ... I don't see what BCU could do at the moment to get the SWAC BOPs to let them in.

Really, outside of Tennessee State and BCU ... I don't really don't see a viable, ready-to-go 12th member. Everyone else is D2 with significant issues regarding a move up to Division I.

FAMU has been a SWAC target for years, this was a no-brainer. However, BCU is not and was not.
Maybe, maybe not. Having the Florida Classic under the SWAC umbrella gives us more leverage with TV contracts. That’s just football. I’m sure FAMU also wants another school within driving distance for other revenue sports. We still do mash ups for non revenue sports. So it can all balance out for everyone.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. Having the Florida Classic under the SWAC umbrella gives us more leverage with TV contracts. That’s just football. I’m sure FAMU also wants another school within driving distance for other revenue sports. We still do mash ups for non revenue sports. So it can all balance out for everyone.
Again, how does this benefit member institutions not name FAMU? A possible TV deal is still pie in the sky... when you have athletic departments that are running on shoe string budgets relying on week2week, month2month revenue targets to survive we can’t afford to rely on what may be possible. We need to deal with things that are tangible and real not projective!
If we were let’s say Ole Miss with $35mil guaranteed dollars from simply being in the SEC from its revenue share deal, they can afford to dismiss cost associated with travel to said X institution, but we don’t have that luxury! We need to operate this like a business that takes in account all parameters when evaluating next moves. A deal would need to be on the drawing board prior to a BCU admission.

Last edited:
Again, how does this benefit member institutions not name FAMU? A possible TV deal is still pie in the sky... when you have athletic departments that are running on shoe string budgets relying on week2week, month2month revenue targets to survive we can’t afford to rely on what may be possible. We need to deal with things that are tangible and real not projective!
If we were let’s say Ole Miss with $35mil guaranteed dollars from simply being in the SEC from its revenue share deal, they can afford to dismiss cost associated with travel to said X institution, but we don’t have that luxury! We need to operate this like a business that takes in account all parameters when evaluating next moves. A deal would need to be on the drawing board prior to a BCU admission.

Thank you for being one of the few folks thinking rationally. When adding teams you divide conference pie even further. We are not a TV-driven league, we gain our revenue at the gate. Bethune at this point is a liability not an asset. They don’t have a large fan base, they don’t travel, and they are located far from the conference footprint. That means they are not helping with revenue but they will increase expenses, which is not what we need. As far as TV markets, FAMU probably has more fans in central FL than Bethune, so they add zero value other than a travel partner for FAMU.

It appears their head officials are starting the process with the BOT’s to entertain the idea of the schools future in the meac and a jump to another conference. The SWAC being one of the ideal situations.

I could see a bcu to the swac, but I think the swac and bcc are going to really be taking a look at the schools financial structure as they made some bone head decisions that almost closed the doors to that historic institution. If they come to the swac, I’d see it a year or two after famu locking up the state of Florida for the swac.

I was wondering why no one posted this, I read about this a few days ago.

BCU has two options to me ... SWAC or Division II - SIAC. Personally I think BCU is gonna come to the SWAC because the SWAC is very appealing right now and it'll make the alumni happy.

The MEAC needs to go after Tennessee State (long shot) and some other SIAC/CIAA schools in the region to survive and remain relevant.

I was wondering why no one posted this, I read about this a few days ago.

BCU has two options to me ... SWAC or Division II - SIAC. Personally I think BCU is gonna come to the SWAC because the SWAC is very appealing right now and it'll make the alumni happy.

The MEAC needs to go after Tennessee State (long shot) and some other SIAC/CIAA schools in the region to survive and remain relevant.
If Tennessee state not coming to the Swac they damn sure aint coming to the Meac.

A non-State supported school in the SWAC. I guess BCU would be like Vanderbilt in the SEC.

Back