SCSU vs BCC? SCSU is a better option for the SWAC and here’s why

PBSwag77

1. SCSU has their own on-campus 22,000 seat stadium. BCC plays in a 10,000 seat, city owned stadium. That would mean a lot of neutral site games.
2. SCSU opens up a new TV market. SWAC already has Florida with FAMU joining.
3. Orangeburg, SC is about as Far East as Daytona, FL. No real travel advantage so go with SC.

Last edited:
Shoot your shot. LOL I'd take either one, but while SCSU brings a larger fanbase for football, BCU brings the Florida Classic.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Shoot your shot. LOL I'd take either one, but while SCSU brings a larger fanbase for football, BCU brings the Florida Classic.

What does that have to do with it?
That game can still be played just like Jsu plays TnSt in the SHC and Bama St still have their annual game with Tuskegee.

Have you been to Orangburg? That isn’t a “market”....Sorry i would rather go to Daytona Beach then slide over 30 minutes to Orlando.
Yes, I agree and I'm with you. I just like the SCSU facility situation better. Plus it opens up a new recruiting base for the conference.

Give me the Orlando/Daytona Beach area for recruiting over backwoods SC anyday. I use to live in SC.... Orangburg aint close to nothing. Dont you live in South Carolina?

SCSU is a gem in football, and could benefit from a change in conference scenery. I’d say it’s worth a good look at them. But their administration would need to present a convincing plan to prove their stability issues with enrollment.

I know both school’s recent financial situations have been well chronicled, but which of the two is in worse shape? The one that’s better should be the one we take.

Give me the Orlando/Daytona Beach area for recruiting over backwoods SC anyday. I use to live in SC.... Orangburg aint close to nothing. Dont you live in South Carolina?
Nope, but I’ve been in that area a few times. It’s not that bad.

could morehouse get up a mil to join fcs? that would give the swac the atlanta market. can you imagine what weekends would be like when morehouse would host jsu, bama state, famu, southern or grambling?

could morehouse get up a mil to join fcs? that would give the swac the atlanta market. can you imagine what weekends would be like when morehouse would host jsu, bama state, famu, southern or grambling?

Morehouse and Spellman would probably have to merge to make that happen in order to be in compliance with Title IX.

Morehouse and Spellman would probably have to merge to make that happen in order to be in compliance with Title IX.
Spelman ended intercollegiate athletics a few years ago.
Morehouse is having some COVID-related issues and are furloughing some faculty and staff.

don’t know who exactly was talking about markets, but Daytona is in the Orlando TV market, one of the 15- to 20-largest in the country

Spelman ended intercollegiate athletics a few years ago.
Morehouse is having some COVID-related issues and are furloughing some faculty and staff.

don’t know who exactly was talking about markets, but Daytona is in the Orlando TV market, one of the 15- to 20-largest in the country

That’s true. I forgot they ended sports.

But still if Morehouse were to make that move they would have to add women sports teams to their athletic program. Which means they either start admitting women or merge with Spelman which wouldn’t be a bad idea. They’d become one of the largest HBCU’s in the country if that were to happen.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That’s true. I forgot they ended sports.

But still if Morehouse were to make that move they would have to add women sports teams to their athletic program. Which means they either start admitting women or merge with Spelman which wouldn’t be a bad idea. They’d become one of the largest HBCU’s in the country if that were to happen.

don’t see Morehouse and Spelman merging under any circumstances. Hell don’t even see Spelman bringing back sports under any circumstances.

don’t see Morehouse and Spelman merging under any circumstances. Hell don’t even see Spelman bringing back sports under any circumstances.

I’m surprised that they haven’t at least had discussions about. Both schools are already strong academically on their own image how they would be together.

I don't get why everyone wants to bring in 2 institutions that are barely keeping the lights on. SCSU's situation looks dire to me. Their enrollment went under 1,000 this past Spring semester. Plus, they are 735 miles (12 hrs) away from the NEAREST Western Division team. Do you think traveling to SWAC opponents is financially feasible? The MEAC or D2 is their best option at the moment.

BCU also needs to fix their financial issues before spending a ton of money to jump conferences. I don't see BCU as a draw for the SWAC either. I just don't. It's good news for FAMU, but what happens in 5 years when FAMU announces they're leaving the SWAC for FBS? (because you know it's going to happen) Is BCU still attractive? I've nothing against them, but if we're going to expand to 12 teams, it should not strain the conference anymore than we are with travel expenses. Lest we suffer the same fate as the MEAC over the last decade and years to come.

Neither SCSU nor BCU are healthy institutions at this time, IMO. I fear putting them in the SWAC could do more harm than good to them, and the last thing we need is another HBCU to go under. My $0.02.

It’s crazy, just a few short years ago, BCU was seemingly rolling in dough

Them crooked presidents and Vince Carter's mom took too many cookies out of the jar without palcing them back

Our president turned down the same dorm deal that BCU jumped on

Them crooked presidents and Vince Carter's mom took too many cookies out of the jar without palcing them back

Our president turned down the same dorm deal that BCU jumped on

It seemed to just be people making business decisions that did not understand the complexity and implication of the deal. The dorm's price seemed enticing at the upfront $72 million price tag, but they did not understand that total cost would be over $300M.

Reactions: J C
BCU is the easy answer.

Daytona Beach/Orlando >>>>>>>>>> Orangeburg

Their football stadium capacity isn't a big deal. How many SWAC schools are seriously traveling thousands deep to Daytona?

BCU is the easy answer.

Daytona Beach/Orlando >>>>>>>>>> Orangeburg

Their football stadium capacity isn't a big deal. How many SWAC schools are seriously traveling thousands deep to Daytona?

Take football away - disaster for travel -
Scsu is 8 hours from FAMU and BCU is 4
Adds travel not cut it

I don't get why everyone wants to bring in 2 institutions that are barely keeping the lights on. SCSU's situation looks dire to me. Their enrollment went under 1,000 this past Spring semester. Plus, they are 735 miles (12 hrs) away from the NEAREST Western Division team. Do you think traveling to SWAC opponents is financially feasible? The MEAC or D2 is their best option at the moment.

BCU also needs to fix their financial issues before spending a ton of money to jump conferences. I don't see BCU as a draw for the SWAC either. I just don't. It's good news for FAMU, but what happens in 5 years when FAMU announces they're leaving the SWAC for FBS? (because you know it's going to happen) Is BCU still attractive? I've nothing against them, but if we're going to expand to 12 teams, it should not strain the conference anymore than we are with travel expenses. Lest we suffer the same fate as the MEAC over the last decade and years to come.

Neither SCSU nor BCU are healthy institutions at this time, IMO. I fear putting them in the SWAC could do more harm than good to them, and the last thing we need is another HBCU to go under. My $0.02.

Their enrollment didn't go under 1K ... where you get that from. SCSU is in decent standing, it will never go under b/c it's a public institution. Some of the private ones are in jeopardy of failing. Tennessee State is my vote for the next SWAC addition.

I don't see FAMU leaving for BCS in the next 10-15 years. Right now FAMU is not very competitive in most sports. But so glad to see FAMU join us, it's something I wanted for a very long time.

Back