FAMU to the SWAC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing all of this, why did FAMU shun the SWAC in the first place?

They had plenty of chances to join in the past. I don't think FAMU wanted to be in the SWAC then and I don't think they want to be in it now. One of their negotiating points was that they could leave without penalty within five years. Circumstances have just conspired to make the SWAC the only viable option available for them.

Last edited:

If Southern and FAMU are placed in different divisions and the SWAC only allows one permanent cross divisional opponent every year for football and the rest of the divisional teams rotate off schedule, do you think Southern would keep the Jackson State game as the permanent cross divisional game or would Southern choose FAMU?

View attachment 9978
Even though Morehouse is a great institution, it’s a small private liberal arts school and I don’t think Morehouse could fund a jump to Div. I. Also, Morehouse does not currently have the adequate sports facilities. Clark Atlanta maybe a better option if you are trying to tap into the Atlanta market, but I also think that’s a stretch.
Plus Morehouse would have to be in compliance with Title XI. Which means they would have to add women sports to their athletic department and either have to start admitting women or merge with Spelman and recruit the ladies from there to play on the teams.

I know damn well people from AAMU & Texas Southern aren’t criticizing another school for its stadium size and attendance...

If Southern and FAMU are placed in different divisions and the SWAC only allows one permanent cross divisional opponent every year for football and the rest of the divisional teams rotate off schedule, do you think Southern would keep the Jackson State game as the permanent cross divisional game or would Southern choose FAMU?
We can play the other as a non conference game. Alcorn and SU is a rivalry game also, and we are only 120 miles apart.

Last edited:
They had plenty of chances to join in the past. I don't think FAMU wanted to be in the SWAC then and I don't think they want to be in it now. One of their negotiating points was that they could leave without penalty within five years. Circumstances have just conspired to make the SWAC the only viable option available for them.

I looked at the meeting yesterday and their leadership looked pretty enthused to me.......

In the SWAC's introductory welcome letter welcoming FAMU to the SWAC, appearing on the SWAC website, in the 9th paragraph, it states that "FAMU has won 15 Black College Football National Championships, including last year." That is an absolute LIE! Eveyone knows it! NCAT defeated Alcorn for the HBCU Football Championship last year. And I don't understand why the SWAC would allow such an erroneous statement to appear in an official SWAC release. The president of AAMU wrote that bull, and it is absolutely not true. If he's not in tune with athletics, he probably should not be the chair of the SWAC Council of Presidents and Chancellors.

Last edited:
In the SWAC's introductory welcome of FAMU to the SWAC, appearing on the SWAC website, in the 9th paragraph, it states that "FAMU has won 15 Black College Football National Championships, including last year." That is an absolute LIE! Eveyone knows it! NCAT defeated Alcorn for the HBCU Football Championship last year. And I don't understand why the SWAC would allow such an erroneous statement to appear in an official SWAC release. The president of AAMU wrote that bull, and it is absolutely not true. If he's not in tune with athletics, he probably should not be the chair of the SWAC Counil of Presidents and Chancellors.

Black College Sports Network declared FAMU as its 2019 Black College Champs...so according to them, FAMU holds that title. Maybe that’s what the SWAC Presidents went with 🤷🏾‍♂️

Black College Sports Network declared FAMU as its 2019 Black College Champs...so according to them, FAMU holds that title. Maybe that’s what the SWAC Presidents went with

It is true that different organizations have different champions.....LOL

It is true that different organizations have different champions.....LOL

I guess!!! Even when I searched for black college football national champs, 2019 has a FAMU (15 total) AND A&T(8 total) listed.

All of that aside, I’m excited and looking forward to the new competition.

In the SWAC's introductory welcome of FAMU to the SWAC, appearing on the SWAC website, in the 9th paragraph, it states that "FAMU has won 15 Black College Football National Championships, including last year." That is an absolute LIE! Eveyone knows it! NCAT defeated Alcorn for the HBCU Football Championship last year. And I don't understand why the SWAC would allow such an erroneous statement to appear in an official SWAC release. The president of AAMU wrote that bull, and it is absolutely not true. If he's not in tune with athletics, he probably should not be the chair of the SWAC Counil of Presidents and Chancellors.

It’s a factual statement

Something deep inside wants to agree. When Billy Joe was there, I think I read somewhere that Joe would rather travel the urban Eastern corridor than the backroads of the Deep South. I can understand how that might have been his desire. After all, the MEAC is more urban with the likes of Raleigh and Durham, Norfolk and D.C., Daytona Beach, Baltimore, Orangeburg, and Dover as opposed to Lorman, Itta Bena, Grambling and Pine Bluff. Including Tallahassee, the SWAC now boasts 4 capital cities in Baton Rouge, Jackson and Montgomery, all with metro populations in excess of a half million residents as well as Houston, the nation's 4th largest city, and Huntsville, another metro city nearing a half million. So the SWAC is not all backwoods! But those 700, 800, and 900-mile trips got the best of them and their budgets, and they had no where else to go right now but to the SWAC. Now that you're here, I think you'll find you're right where you belong! Bragg Memorial should be hopping with games against ASU, JSU, AAMU, GSU and SU year in and year out. Neither of those games should see attendance below 20,000. Welcome to the SWAC, and no, you were not last year's HBCU Football Champions.

Well what is there to do in Arkansas? Lol

Good question! Pine Bluff is a city of approximately 60,000 about an hour's drive south of Little Rock, the state's capital and largest city. Only been there once, but I can say unequivocally that the food is outstanding. Other than that, there is not much else I can tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back