FAMU Death Caused By Hazing, Blunt Force Trauma

The only reason why you know about those two instances at JSU and SU is b/c it made the news. What about the other cases where students are expelled/suspended from band and school due to hazing? You don't hear about those but it happens.

All I'm saying is just b/c you didn't hear about it at FAMU doesn't mean it wasn't happening. If Mr. Champion didn't die you wouldn't have known 30 members were suspended from FAMU's band this year alone. You dont know how many were suspended last year or the year before.

FAMU couldn't act swiftly in this case b/c it was a death involved...vs. what happened at JSU and SU. Rightfully so...FAMU had to turn the investigation over to the authorities. When they tried to suspend/expel those four students what happened...the authorities asked them to halt all disciplinary actions (for whatever reasons).

The BAND DIRECTOR at FAMU has been on TV saying he has been trying to kill this shat for 10 years, long before this incident. He actually called these clicks "gangs" on CNN. He said that everytime he tried to issue punishment for this stuff, it didn't go any further than "lip service." Those are his words..........Not MINE or anyone elses on this board. Said the attitude is "the 100 marches.........no if ands, or buts."

I have not said in any post what FAMU is doing about this incident or who is or who is not talking. All I'm saying is look back at the last 10 years at FAMU and all those incidents involving the band and outside the band make it look like the Administration is sleeping at the wheel.

Thats all I'm saying. :tup:

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The BAND DIRECTOR at FAMU has been on TV saying he has been trying to kill this shat for 10 years, long before this incident. He actually called these clicks "gangs" on CNN. He said that everytime he tried to issue punishment for this stuff, it didn't go any further than "lip service." Those are his words..........Not MINE or anyone elses on this board. Said the attitude is "the 100 marches.........no if ands, or buts."

I have not said in any post what FAMU is doing about this incident or who is or who is not talking. All I'm saying is look back at the last 10 years at FAMU and all those incidents involving the band and outside the band make it look like the Administration is sleeping at the wheel.

Thats all I'm saying. :tup:

Yep.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

SS, I have nothing against the alums and students of FAMU. My friends who are FAMU alumni are saying the same thing me and the rest of America are saying. Negligence and incompetence that starts from the top. This is not a recent phenomenon. Its been going on for years but we're just highlighting the events of the past 10 years. Name me another HBCU that experienced as much national negative attention, stemming from its marching band, in the last decade.

Re: Autopsy Report: FAMU Death Caused By Hazing, Blunt Force Trauma

You started the thread in Sports Board with the misleading title about FAMU when it clearly stated that everyone involved went to FAMU lab school (not FAMU).

It wasn't misleading. Had you read the article, it stated that the FAMU police were involved with the investigation and FAMU brought the FDLE in to help with the investigation. This is an exert from Governor Scott's response to the FAMU Alumni:

http://mobile.orlandosentinel.com/p...DL.w=&DL.d=10&DQ=sectionId%3A5659&DPS=0&DPL=3

Governor Scott said:
“The FAMU Board of Trustees has already publicly reprimanded Dr. Ammons. This week, I learned of reports of at least one child molestation case that took place on campus, an incident Dr. Ammons told me in my office he was not made aware of until months after its occurrence. Based on all of these facts, I merely suggested it would be wise for Dr. Ammons to step aside until these investigations are completed.

“It is up to the FAMU Board of Trustees and Dr. Ammons to determine how to proceed. I have not and will not try to influence their decision. I simply offered my advice and opinion based on the events and the facts I was made aware of. Like all other Floridians, I will abide by the decisions made by the Board of Trustees and President Ammons tomorrow, and I do not plan to release any further comment before then.â€￾

Re: 30 Students Under Investigation

30 students including Alumni....

<embed src="http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/cbsnews_player_embed.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="425" height="279" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="si=254&&contentValue=50116815&shareUrl=http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7392211n" />

Re: 30 Students Under Investigation

Damn all softness towards FAMU, students know they beat Mr. Champion to death but it seems that haven't came clean yet. They are animals and must be treated like animals. I can't see how anyone could go walking around with a clear mind and know they might was the cause of the death of a fellow bandmember.

Have things changed? When I was in the band, the Drum Major was considered the highest ranking leader in the band, besides the Band Directors. How can the drum major be getting ? WTH? Secondly, how can a 26 year old drum major be getting hazed? WTH? How can anyone get Hazed to ride the damn bus? WTH? Hazed

At age 26, not only was I not going to let anyone haze me, but I had out grown all of the hazing in me. I'm just asking how does a 26 year old man let some 18 to 20 year old peers, who report to him HAZE him? Not an excuse for this incident, but things have changed so much that the highest ranking student official in the band is getting hazed by other band members.

Can someone Please address the above^^^^^^^
My thing is, like it or not, is that when things like this happen we tuck our tails with out questioning and go with the we must stop hazing BS... 1st we need to start standing up for ourselves and our Youth, let them get a FAIR shoot. When the White folks do this, they dont make the paper, and they stand up for their students, members, etc.. We Dont
Again like Da Sperm said this was the Drum major, who hazing him? the Band director, shouldnt he already have pledged his Section and etc... In who has the Nuts and Energy to Haze after the game. In isnt the band pledging cycle over after the last game clock hits 0:00?
If hazing is envolved im sure it wasnt the band in this case, if he was pledging anything its more then likely going to be KKpsi, KApsi, AphiA, Phi Beta Sigma, Omega PSI Phi... like Da Sperm said he is the Drum Major why is he still pledging the band

Can someone Please address the above^^^^^^^
My thing is, like it or not, is that when things like this happen we tuck our tails with out questioning and go with the we must stop hazing BS... 1st we need to start standing up for ourselves and our Youth, let them get a FAIR shoot. When the White folks do this, they dont make the paper, and they stand up for their students, members, etc.. We Dont
Again like Da Sperm said this was the Drum major, who hazing him? the Band director, shouldnt he already have pledged his Section and etc... In who has the Nuts and Energy to Haze after the game. In isnt the band pledging cycle over after the last game clock hits 0:00?
If hazing is envolved im sure it wasnt the band in this case, if he was pledging anything its more then likely going to be KKpsi, KApsi, AphiA, Phi Beta Sigma, Omega PSI Phi... like Da Sperm said he is the Drum Major why is he still pledging the band

If this helps, (although it still makes no sense), Rob did not cross his section (Clarinet - Clones). In his numerous years marching, he just gets drum major, meaning the respect level that he "warranted" was via his section. He only became a member of RDO his entire tenure in the 100. So he's drum major this year...and all the 'in crowd" (drum majors included) ride Bus C...Its a given. I'm assuming in his head, he had no option if he were to be drum major yet again...let alone HEAD as White is "claiming".

If this helps, (although it still makes no sense), Rob did not cross his section (Clarinet - Clones). In his numerous years marching, he just gets drum major, meaning the respect level that he "warranted" was via his section. He only became a member of RDO his entire tenure in the 100. So he's drum major this year...and all the 'in crowd" (drum majors included) ride Bus C...Its a given. I'm assuming in his head, he had no option if he were to be drum major yet again...let alone HEAD as White is "claiming".

none of what you said makes any sense. he didn't cross his section but the "respect level" he wanted.....basically he wanted his section to respect him? and then there's the "he only became a member of the RDO his entire tenure in the 100." well damn. how long had this guy been marching?

So if what you said is true....and the Drum Majors were his pallbearers...then by default someone who carried his casket to the grave possibly contributed to his death.

I'm sure the drum majors were the main ones beating dude. Damn shame. I just don't understand how one can beat one of their bandmates that bad and still haven't confessed. Messed up individuals and they are going to pay for it in all facets.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

So if what you said is true....and the Drum Majors were his pallbearers...then by default someone who carried his casket to the grave possibly contributed to his death.

Very possible.

Jesus help us. I pray for redemption for those involved.

No matter how many people get killed by hazing, individuals who want to become a part of the organization will continue to allow themselves to be hazed. Indivudals are told that they will not be accepted if they don't go thur what they went thru. Therefore, a lot of individuals will accept the hazing so they can become a real member. However, it is important that those who haze are identified and punished to slow hazing down. Hazing is outlawed in every organization I am a member, but it still take place, because the hazer nor the hazee want to be a real member. When old members talk about what they went thru, the new members want some of the same thing. No President, law enforcement officer, the Governor, parents or individual member will be able to stop organization from hazing. Anti-hazing policies are in place and I made sure my children who joined the college band and Greek letter organizations understood they did not have to take that crap. As a football player, my roommate and I decided not to go thru the Freshmen initation, however, we had to fight about twenty of them off. We pulled off our belts and got back to back and for about 10 minutes we put a hurting on a few people. The word got out that we didn't take the initiation, but I will never forget the busted butts and broken skins. The freshmen who played in front of the upper classmen got the worst beating. We need to help slow it down.

No matter how many people get killed by hazing, individuals who want to become a part of the organization will continue to allow themselves to be hazed. Indivudals are told that they will not be accepted if they don't go thur what they went thru. Therefore, a lot of individuals will accept the hazing so they can become a real member. However, it is important that those who haze are identified and punished to slow hazing down. Hazing is outlawed in every organization I am a member, but it still take place, because the hazer nor the hazee want to be a real member. When old members talk about what they went thru, the new members want some of the same thing. No President, law enforcement officer, the Governor, parents or individual member will be able to stop organization from hazing. Anti-hazing policies are in place and I made sure my children who joined the college band and Greek letter organizations understood they did not have to take that crap. As a football player, my roommate and I decided not to go thru the Freshmen initation, however, we had to fight about twenty of them off. We pulled off our belts and got back to back and for about 10 minutes we put a hurting on a few people. The word got out that we didn't take the initiation, but I will never forget the busted butts and broken skins. The freshmen who played in front of the upper classmen got the worst beating. We need to help slow it down.

Bruh, I honestly don't think hazing will stop. I agree that you shouldn't have to hazed to a part of any organization, sport, etc. In a way, it's almost like a gang mentality. After I crossed, I didn't haze. Just didn't see the need to. I pray that by the time my son and daughter, well if they decide to join an organization that the hazing is minimal to say the least. I pray that I'm alive to be able to see them cross. I've heard of bruhz contacting the chapters their kid(s) were pledging and try to intervene on the hazing, but that didn't help their child during the process. In most cases it only became worse.

It was stated that a fellow DM went through the hazing right before he did. So he wasn't the only DM that got hazed that day from earlier reports I saw.

Bruh, I honestly don't think hazing will stop. I agree that you shouldn't have to hazed to a part of any organization, sport, etc. In a way, it's almost like a gang mentality. After I crossed, I didn't haze. Just didn't see the need to. I pray that by the time my son and daughter, well if they decide to join an organization that the hazing is minimal to say the least. I pray that I'm alive to be able to see them cross. I've heard of bruhz contacting the chapters their kid(s) were pledging and try to intervene on the hazing, but that didn't help their child during the process. In most cases it only became worse.
I stood up in Front of national Leaders in Stated the Truth, Fact is must of our Organzations leaders know its not going to stop. This is what i told them, as long as our Frat is bringing in Bruhs at a co-ed university their will be Hazing.. The Key really is to Direct that hazing to safe pledging... Heck My dad was a national offer during the time i pledged, i knew the ends and outs, the wrong, the Rights, and knew that I didnt have to do it.. I would answer the phone talking to my dad in tell him with a stright face in say i wasnt going thru the process, then head to the Frat house afterwards... After i crossed He let me know that it was wrong what I did, and We could have gotten in trouble but he was proad that i crossed the sands....

But I dont think we hearing the whole truth with this FAMU thing.. The Media want America to know how brutal and the dis regard for life that we have.... And we getting punked instead of asking questions that we all in the Bands, KKpsi, Phi Mu Alpha, and Greeks know that should be asked because this doesnt really sound right.
So now we saying they left the Game, went to the bus, no band director saw this, hazed each drum major one at a time pledging each other??? Right, yall sure this isnt a case of them just acking a fool and being rough after the Game?

So now we saying they left the Game, went to the bus, no band director saw this, hazed each drum major one at a time pledging each other??? Right, yall sure this isnt a case of them just acking a fool and being rough after the Game?

To add to that....they were back at the hotel....but the BUS DRIVER allowed access to the bus, LONG after parking? Where is their accountability in this?

To add to that....they were back at the hotel....but the BUS DRIVER allowed access to the bus, LONG after parking? Where is their accountability in this?

That was the the bus driver's bus. He has a responsibility of securing that bus. Liability should also play a part with him/her and the company they drive for---In other words, everybody gets sued in these instances. Jerry Beasley one of the top Attorney's in Alabama and the U.S.- will sue everybody and anything that help contribute to the death. That's also " the company that was responsible for the locking mechanism on the bus." :nod:

His parents are suing the bus company also.

[h=1]Lawyer: Alleged FAMU hazing victim's family to sue; friends say victim was gay[/h]Friends of Robert Champion, a Florida A&M University drum major who died in November after allegedly being beaten as part of a band hazing ritual, have told his family's attorney that Champion was gay, attorney Chris Chestnut said Tuesday. Relatives said they believe sexual orientation may have been one of many factors that could have contributed to Champion being treated more severely than other band members may have been, Chestnut said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/1...-of-bus-on-which-attack-took-place/?hpt=hp_t2

Back