Doug Williams is still crying...two and a half years later

Man this thread is interesting.

I wonder did we get permission for them new horns the band got that money was raised for. Since the school didn't pay one nickel for them. I know Doc used to not ask the school for any permission to get something for the band or band room. I guess SU could have fired him for it. But I know he used to look at it as, "Yall aint giving me isht. So I will get it myself." LOL.

Bottom line. Doug probably did break the rules. But if he had not stepped on the wrong toes or hurt folks feelings in doing so, nobody would have said anything. Plus he was losing football games at the time too. If Coach Rob had done that. Nothing would have been said, folks would have been too scared too. Doug's attitude and arrogance is what has pissed off some folks up there in Grambling. So when he did break the rules, they used it against him. Fault on both sides. But Doug had to know he was going to lose that battle. Now the media has a love affair with Doug so Grambling will always lose that battle. Best thing for Gram is to not even comment. Doug is hero and black college icon. So his story will seem like the Gram administration was being petty and fired him for trying to help the school even though he broke the rules. Nature of the beast.

This is just JR's opinion. I don't wish any ill will towards Gram and I would hope them and Doug can reconcile their differences. He is obviously still hurt or mad over it.

Last edited:

You being petty now. Doug new the rules man. He chose to ignore them.
I'm still wondering which rules.

For some reason I just feel that if Odums got someone to donate a brand new floor for the weight room at SU and had it installed at NO cost to SU, no SU chancellor would have a problem with it.

And you are entitled to have that opinion. If that's how you feel so be it.

But if any of you who happen to work for an employer (especially an employer that is a government agency) think that it is OK for you to just go make structural changes to a building or replace government owned equipment WITHOUT your boss' approval. Then there isn't much more to talk about.

Those who work in private industry doesn't understand why government rules and regulations are necessary until they are negatively impacted due to deregulations. George Bush deregulated Wall Street and people lost lots of money.

How far did he go in changing the floor out? The way that article reads, the flooring was bought and sat in boxes with no structural changes made.

If he was in there digging up old flooring himself in the middle of the night, THEN we're cooking.

But it sounds like the Pres & AD were mad that he called their bluff.

Man this thread is interesting.

I wonder did we get permission for them new horns the band got that money was raised for. Since the school didn't pay one nickel for them. I know Doc used to not ask the school for any permission do get something for the band or band room. I guess SU could have fired him for it. But I know he used to look at it as Yall aint giving me isht. So I will get it myself. LOL.

Bottom line. Doug probably did break the rules. But if he had not stepped on the wrong toes or hurt folks feelings in doing so, nobody would have said anything. Plus he was losing football games at the time too. If Coach Rob had done that. Nothing would have been said, folks would have been too scared too. Doug's attitude and arrogance is what has pissed off some folks up there in Grambling. So when he did break the rules, they used it against him. Fault on both sides. But Doug had to know he was going to lose that battle. Now the media has a love affair with Doug so Grambling will always lose that battle. Best thing for Gram is to not even comment. Doug is hero and black college icon. So his story will seem like Gram administration was being petty and fired him for trying to help the school even though he broke the rules. Nature of the beast.

This is just JR's opinion. I don't wish any ill will towards Gram and I would hope them and Doug can reconcile their differences. He is obviously still hurt or mad over it.

I don't think Doc did any structural alterations to the band room. And if he did and the band room just happened to collapse and injured few kids, I'm sure their parents would be ready to sue the school. Doug or Doc were not Structural Engineers.

How far did he go in changing the floor out? The way that article reads, the flooring was bought and sat in boxes with no structural changes made.

If he was in there digging up old flooring himself in the middle of the night, THEN we're cooking.

But it sounds like the Pres & AD were mad that he called their bluff.
I think they said he had something else done before the flooring but I don't remember what.

I'm still wondering which rules.

For some reason I just feel that if Odums got someone to donate a brand new floor for the weight room at SU and had it installed at NO cost to SU, no SU chancellor would have a problem with it.
I work in the fed govt by day. If our office wants new carpet, we can't just go out and ask a donor to give us new carpet and come in here and have it installed. We can't buy our own computers because we don't like our old ones.

The definition of the word 'Protocol' is the rule. I hope every university have some type of STANDARD PROTOCOL in place.

I work in the fed govt by day. If our office wants new carpet, we can't just go out and ask a donor to give us new carpet and come in here and have it installed. We can't buy our own computers because we don't like our old ones.

What you have to understand, you are talking Chinese to some of these folks who have never worked for some government (local, state, or federal).

I believe this whole thing could have been a wash if Doug would have followed the proper protocol, but it seemed like he kept pissing the administration off even after they warned him a few times. Maybe a few on here should ignore their bosses and see if they maintain their employment.

Basically.

As a government employee or as a contract hire, because no government will allow you or anyone to make any type of alterations without some type of approval.
A college football program is different though. You mentioned computers. I could go buy a dozen laptops and drop one off at every head coach's office and there would be no issues. Can't do that at any federal or state government office, but I could do it at a college.

I don't think Doc did any structural alterations to the band room. And if he did and the band room just happened to collapse and injured few kids, I'm sure their parents would be ready to sue the school. Doug or Doc were not Structural Engineers.

Nah he didn't do that. LOL. Hell the band room was brand new when I was a crab. We were the first band in there Fall 84.

Trust me I understand the deal. Just saying both were at fault. Doug should have asked how do I get this floor done without causing any issues. The admin should have said, Doug let's work together to get it in correctly and we appreciate your efforts in this. There was too much one up ness going on.

A college football program is different though. You mentioned computers. I could go buy a dozen laptops and drop one off at every head coach's office and there would be no issues. Can't do that at any federal or state government office, but I could do it at a college.

And that's the crux of this whole issue...

If Nick Saban needed new seating in a football meeting room, you think he's going to Stuart Bell for permission? Hell no. Wanna know why? UA athletics likely has it's own set of protocols separate from the state university.

But that's what big time money can do for you.

I didn't say anything about computers, maybe someone else did, but before those computers are given permission to connect to the school's network, I'm sure the school's IT Department has to check them out first. For all you know, someone might have donated those computers in order to hack into the school's system. And by the way, Grambling State Univerisity is considered part of the State of Louisiana government.

Nah he didn't do that. LOL. Hell the band room was brand new when I was a crab. We were the first band in there Fall 84.

Trust me I understand the deal. Just saying both were at fault. Doug should have asked how do I get this floor done without causing any issues. The admin should have said, Doug let's work together to get it in correctly and we appreciate your efforts in this. There was too much one up ness going on.

I believe Doc knew his limits with the administration and he didn't try to go overboard with them. Plus Doc had been there long enough to know who to go to to get things done. Also, Doc was in good with a few state politicians.

Reactions: JR

Yeah, you could. But you wouldn't be able to write-off that contribution either if the school (or foundation) isn't aware of it. In this case it is only personal property. Not the property of the school if the school or foundation can't account for it.

I didn't say anything about computers, maybe someone else did, but before those computers are given permission to connect to the school's network, I'm sure the school's IT Department has to check them out first. For all you know, someone might have donated those computers in order to hack into the school's system. And by the way, Grambling State Univerisity is considered part of the State of Louisiana government.
My bad that was @jsupop. Saw the "j" and assumed I was responding to him.

That's (the IT thing) still not an administrative level issue that would cause problems. Any person can go and use a computer on the network (at SU for sure) without having to have it checked out by IT. Email can be accessed via Outlook webmail. Wifi is accessible by most.

no president would be happy if they are working everyday to offset 15 million dollars in budget cuts and your football coach is out working to benefit his program while the rest of the university is struggling to meet basic requirements. you have professors without raises in 5 years, laying off staff at high numbers and furloughing the rest of them. you must consider the whole state of the university in fundraising, because a president can't go ask a person for a donation right after they have giving money to 1 person that suppose to be working for the university.

Yeah, you could. But you wouldn't be able to write-off that contribution either if the school (or foundation) isn't aware of it. In this case it is only personal property. Not the property of the school if the school or foundation can't account for it.

And if they came up missing, stolen, or damaged, it's not the school's property to replace.

Doug should've kept his mouth close about the ULM deal, especially when the CEO of the largest company in the State of Louisiana is pushing the game.

Back