Director of Bands Position Announcement - Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't care if they hire someone with or without a PhD. I just want someone who is qualified and can either maintain or improve the band's sound and drastically improve marching. The only thing I (and those who were once in the Boom) were saying is that they are more than likely going to choose someone with a doctorate. Not because that's what WE want, but from knowing the HISTORY of what has happened in the past with hiring a DOB. That's all.

You sound like a used car salesperson.

If you read the posts, the topic of discussion was the marching band, not ensembles. Any one with common sense would know there is emphasis on the ensembles after the marching band season ends. Alcorn has a Director of Bands and a Marching Band Director, maybe Jackson State should separate the positions also.

I'm finished, I'm getting off this merry-go-round. Happy New Year.

That's what Dowell Taylor wanted to do. I think Dr. James was not too fond of it at the time. Doc Greggs was the Director of Bands at SU. I had a couple of conversations with Taylor and he had some great ideas for doing something similar back when he was the band director. I am sure he will do a good job chairing the search committee. He is good people. Good luck on the search JSU. Plenty of qualified folks that have Doctorates that would love to have that job. I guess it will be compensation that will be the determining factor on who applies or accepts.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That's what Dowell Taylor wanted to do. I think Dr. James was not too fond of it at the time. Doc Greggs was the Director of Bands at SU. I had a couple of conversations with Taylor and he had some great ideas for doing something similar back when he was the band director. I am sure he will do a good job chairing the search committee. He is good people. Good luck on the search JSU. Plenty of qualified folks that have Doctorates that would love to have that job. I guess it will be compensation that will be the determining factor on who applies or accepts.
\

Compensation is the reason I believe this job has been on hold. We wanted a Prez in place to make sure this was done right. The lady believes in paying.

\

Compensation is the reason I believe this job has been on hold. We wanted a Prez in place to make sure this was done right. The lady believes in paying.

I hope the best candidate is selected, because nepotism has been the norm at Jackson State.

This thread has taken the same turn as most band threads do.

All I'll say is this. I think some of you have over-simplified the issue and then argue (over it) because there's no single answer that suffices. The issue is NOT just whether the academic credentials solely matter - they do and they don't. The issue is NOT solely compensation - while we'll all look at the 'bottom line' on the budget sheet. The issue is also NOT merely one of timing - organizational restructuring has been taking place since Myers arrived.

All of that to say this - having a PhD certainly satisfies the academic requirement for the position. It also assumes the leadership and structural skills are present. And most of the time, that's the case. Experience, track record and enthusiasm should be weighed heavily when considering candidates.

Personally, I don't know if the 'commonly mentioned' candidates have all of those qualities. I'm not on the committee, but if I was, I'd want the BEST candidate, period. The fact you marched in the Boom isn't carrying as much weight as some of you think it is...

This thread has taken the same turn as most band threads do.

All I'll say is this. I think some of you have over-simplified the issue and then argue (over it) because there's no single answer that suffices. The issue is NOT just whether the academic credentials solely matter - they do and they don't. The issue is NOT solely compensation - while we'll all look at the 'bottom line' on the budget sheet. The issue is also NOT merely one of timing - organizational restructuring has been taking place since Myers arrived.

All of that to say this - having a PhD certainly satisfies the academic requirement for the position. It also assumes the leadership and structural skills are present. And most of the time, that's the case. Experience, track record and enthusiasm should be weighed heavily when considering candidates.

Personally, I don't know if the 'commonly mentioned' candidates have all of those qualities. I'm not on the committee, but if I was, I'd want the BEST candidate, period. The fact you marched in the Boom isn't carrying as much weight as some of you think it is...

priceless

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just re-read the initial post. If I am coming in with a PhD in Music to be the Director of Bands, I will require a full professorship.

dacontinent and jstate83 are probably the only ones that know who James Holden is?

Last edited:
James Holden, Jr. began his study of the saxophone at the age of fifteen (15) under the tutelage of Joseph Jennings at Brinkley High School In Jackson Mississippi. He later studied with John P. Jones and Harold J. Haughton at Jackson State University, while completing the B.M.E. and M.M.E. degree.

http://www.naspaam.org/id24.html

I just re-read the initial post. If I am coming in with a PhD in Music to be the Director of Bands, I will require a full professorship.

How you think someone will fulfill that request? Also, (in my field anyway), they can't just give you that. That is earned. Your career and measures (for me publications, research impact and funds), have to be evaluated.

But you are opening up a new can of worms.. lol But you never know what the higher ups are looking for. Regardless of what the job description says, the dean and Queen Meyers might want someone who is at least already an associate professor.

How you think someone will fulfill that request? Also, (in my field anyway), they can't just give you that. That is earned. Your career and measures (for me publications, research impact and funds), have to be evaluated.

But you are opening up a new can of worms.. lol But you never know what the higher ups are looking for. Regardless of what the job description says, the dean and Queen Meyers might want someone who is at least already an associate professor.
Absolutely correct. When seeking for a Director of Bands, I am not looking for someone to fill a slot of leading a band. I am looking for a visionary capable of taking my band program and my bands to the highest levels.

Haughton took him up to Va State with him in 84. I remember him well from my HS days in Jackson. Good folks from what I remember and was a good arranger too.

I think JR is a band historian?
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back