Director of Bands Position Announcement - Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual some of you have short range thinking. A band Director does more OFF the field than on the field. USA Today there is also a concert band, jazz band, symphonic, etc....

Dr. Pannell is also a PROFESSOR which means he is an administrator and researcher to maintain his tenure. This in itself brings more funding to a university....but I forgot...some of you only see the halftime and not the other integers that make a university successful.....

Jackson State....get a band director who has a Ph.D or Ed.D...

Carry on...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The position is for the Director of Bands. Jackson State has more ensembles than some schools combined. Yall stuck on this marching band thing right now.

The position is for the Director of Bands. Jackson State has more ensembles than some schools combined. Yall stuck on this marching band thing right now.

FINALLY somebody understands!!!!! I did not attend JSU but I graduated from GSU. Living in Grambling I am constantly seeing other ensembles and even know students who don't perform in the marching band but perform in the symphony and jazz bands.

All musicians are not MARCHING.

If you read the posts, the topic of discussion was the marching band, not ensembles. Any one with common sense would know there is emphasis on the ensembles after the marching band season ends. Alcorn has a Director of Bands and a Marching Band Director, maybe Jackson State should separate the positions also.

I'm finished, I'm getting off this merry-go-round. Happy New Year.

If you read the posts, the topic of discussion was the marching band, not ensembles. Any one with common sense would know there is emphasis on the ensembles after the marching band season ends. Alcorn has a Director of Bands and a Marching Band Director, maybe Jackson State should separate the positions also.

Well the discussion shouldnt be just about marching band, so people would understand why this position requires the qualifications that it does. Also, that may be common sense but there a ton of programs that dont even emphasize ensembles after marching band season...so its not that common to make sense of. Dr. Liddell declined the Honda BOTB and other marching band performances year after year because it interfered with the other ensembles. I don't think they should seperate the positions, keep the structure the same...just get the overall qualified person to fill the position.

LOL@ him running off the page. :lol:

BTW, the topic of discussion was about our Director of BANDS (with an S). Those of you without PhDs don't know what it means to have one and operate like you have one. As for Dowell Taylor, just like football back in the 80s was different for HBCUs so was marching band. I would guarantee that he could not put the same product on the field in 2012. He knows it too.

Compare a Dowell Taylor version (MS) of the Sonic Boom to a Lewis Liddell version (PhD), the answer is No.

I think the most important thing is not really who the director is but who we hire as assistants. I know we don't have the money to do it but we need to put up the money to hire a good staff..not just a a good director.

FINALLY somebody understands!!!!! I did not attend JSU but I graduated from GSU. Living in Grambling I am constantly seeing other ensembles and even know students who don't perform in the marching band but perform in the symphony and jazz bands.

All musicians are not MARCHING.

That was understood by all BOOMERS before this thread was even made. But when the usual Louisana suspects show up on a JSU thread, why bother trying to explain stuff to the deaf and dumb that won't read anything you type. Let them make smalltime fools out of themselves for not knowing what the job title really means. :lol:

SWAC thinking is one track in every aspect. :lol:
Say SWAC sports and the only sport that come into mind is football. The rest is just a NCAA mandate. Say MUSIC and the only thing that comes across their mind is MARCHING BAND.

I'm excited, can't wait until the person selected is announced! I think those who marched should stop trying to intimidate those that didn't march, because they traditionally have been some of the "Boom's" biggest supporters when donations are solicited to buy new band uniforms.

Last edited:
That was understood by all BOOMERS before this thread was even made. But when the usual Louisana suspects show up on a JSU thread, why bother trying to explain stuff to the deaf and dumb that won't read anything you type. Let them make smalltime fools out of themselves for not knowing what the job title really means. :lol:

SWAC thinking is one track in every aspect. :lol:
Say SWAC sports and the only sport that come into mind is football. The rest is just a NCAA mandate. Say MUSIC and the only thing that comes across their mind is MARCHING BAND.

You are exactly right but it't not a Louisiana thing...hell you don't have to be a part of any band to understand the logic of an employment description.

I don't care what no one says. No one can't dispute that a Doctorant is needed to run a successful band program be it marching, concert, symphonic, wind, jazz, orchestra etc. Of course it's a plus but it's not needed, plain and simple. If one thinks that is the only way a program can survive and improve they are just as clueless as their thinking is. Hell that's like saying a relationship won't thrive and last if the couple doesn't have a marriage license.:read:

Last edited:
I agree with USA and some others. A PHD isn't needed to be a successful director and run a program especially if your degree is in another area, it depends on the person and the situation. I know many that have Masters and even Bachelors that are doing great and have the skills to run a collegiate program based off how they run their middle, high and one instance community college. Now more than likely the person with the doctorant would get hired before someone with a bachelors or masters but you can't always measure what a person can do from the level of degree he or she has, especially if that person has that PHD in an area that really doesn't pertain to music. Good luck with your search JSU.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Does a Doctorate really equates to a better product on the field at halftime?
Yes ... and better concert and jazz bands in the concert hall ... and better small ensembles on local, regional, and national stages.

Why? Because of the demands and vision required of a full professorship and doctorate-led program.

All of that can still be researched via internet, JSU yearbooks or talking to someone who went to JSU. But knowing how JSU administration, particularly how the music dept. operates and its history of how things have gone down in the past with picking a DOB is something that's commonly known among those in the band or have been in the band. Now were you once in JSU's band or closely tied to JSU music programs with the marching band????

:deadhorse: :wavey:

Yes ... and better concert and jazz bands in the concert hall ... and better small ensembles on local, regional, and national stages.

Why? Because of the demands and vision required of a full professorship and doctorate-led program.

Dacontinent, you know some people are only concerned about the Marching Band. I have noticed GSU's jazz band hired to play at parties, etc.... Also, a number of students form their own groups and I consistently see the Directors in attendance supporting them.

So GSU's jazz band hired to play at parties and the other directors and students supporting that particular ensemble are the effects of Dr. Pannell having a PHD? Please lol!!!!!! BTW, of course there is more than marching band but the Director of Bands does not lead every ensemble. Certain areas needs a PHD to get things done but not music, especially at HBCU's, having a PHD is just the icing on the cake not a necessity to be a Director of Bands. Some really need to get off that high horse and get out of their dream. Also, GSU's Showband under the direction of Dr. Pannell is the most sought after ensemble in the spring, that's his baby and that's the only ensemble that he really deals with in the Spring. Talk about doing parties, etc. the Showband is in demand way more than the jazz band, has nothing to do with a director having a PHD, just having the name Grambling on it attracts gigs. I'm sure Jackson State would still have a nice music program if they hired someone with or without a PHD.:read:

Last edited:
I'm sure Jackson State would still have a nice music program if they hired someone with or without a PHD.:read:

Personally, I don't care if they hire someone with or without a PhD. I just want someone who is qualified and can either maintain or improve the band's sound and drastically improve marching. The only thing I (and those who were once in the Boom) were saying is that they are more than likely going to choose someone with a doctorate. Not because that's what WE want, but from knowing the HISTORY of what has happened in the past with hiring a DOB. That's all.

So GSU's jazz band hired to play at parties and the other directors and students supporting that particular ensemble are the effects of Dr. Pannell having a PHD? Please lol!!!!!! BTW, of course there is more than marching band but the Director of Bands does not lead every ensemble. Certain areas needs a PHD to get things done but not music, especially at HBCU's, having a PHD is just the icing on the cake not a necessity to be a Director of Bands. Some really need to get off that high horse and get out of their dream. Also, GSU's Showband under the direction of Dr. Pannell is the most sought after ensemble in the spring, that's his baby and that's the only ensemble that he really deals with in the Spring. Talk about doing parties, etc. the Showband is in demand way more than the jazz band, has nothing to do with a director having a PHD, just having the name Grambling on it attracts gigs. I'm sure Jackson State would still have a nice music program if they hired someone with or without a PHD.:read:

You have no idea...maintaining a Band Director with a Ph.D. saves money because he is educationally qualified to serve a dual purpose thereby decreasing cost of hiring an additional staff member. Dr. Pannell is also a TENURED professor which in itself helps the academic accreditation of the university not just the band.

But carry on...

You have no idea...maintaining a Band Director with a Ph.D. saves money because he is educationally qualified to serve a dual purpose thereby decreasing cost of hiring an additional staff member. Dr. Pannell is also a TENURED professor which in itself helps the academic accreditation of the university not just the band.

But carry on...

Assumptions and Speculations... You don't know what the hell i have an idea of. You do know Michael Hendrix, Malcolm Spencer and other band staff with their "masters" serve dual purposes also? Carry on.:emlaugh:

Assumptions and Speculations... You don't know what the hell i have an idea of. You do know Michael Hendrix, Malcolm Spencer and other band staff with their "masters" serve dual purposes also? Carry on.:emlaugh:

Hendrix and Spencer are the only two on staff without a Doctorate with the exclusion of the band coordinator. Also, are they tenured professors?

Last edited:
Hendrix and Spencer are the only two on staff without a Doctorate with the exclusion of the band coordinator. Also, are they tenured professors?

Not only Spencer and Hendrix, Mr Tyrone Jones is also. That's the entire staff other than Dr. Thomas who heads the Engineering Dept. Hendrix just came to Grambling in 2007 and Tyrone Jones this season was his first. Spencer is tenured. Now one position that needs a Doctoral degree is the Music Department Chair, that person makes everything work in the music department especially things such as accreditation. Dr Pannell is a rare individual since he heads the music department and is the director of bands, one thing i can honestly say about him, he makes sure everything is on point internally with the music department. He knows about structure and business. Sorry to derail this topic.

Good luck JSU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back