Director of Bands Position Announcement - Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! Folks kill me claiming to know how the Boom operates but ain't never wore a uniform- JSU alum or NOT! :smh:

Sonic Boom Groupies- Male or Females who hang around the band but claim the band like they marched;
* most never marched a full season in the Boom some quit after the Tennessee State or Southern game (Mostly Memphis and N.O Folks);
*often they look on while the Boom marches to practice or even try to go to the band hall until someone looks and say who are you and they usually walk away shame....
*they tend to be-friend band folks to get into the inner circle..

Sad Sad it obvious this dude is a fraud....is it really that serious to lie about something you were never apart of? I mean really come on son...

Last edited:
Sonic Boom Groupies- Male or Females who hang around the band but claim the band like they marched;
* most never marched a full season in the Boom some quit after the Tennessee State or Southern game (Mostly Memphis and N.O Folks);
*often they look on while the Boom marches to practice or even try to go to the band hall until someone looks and say who are you and they usually walk away shame....
*they tend to be-friend band folks to get into the inner circle..

Sad Sad it obvious this dude is a fraud....is it really that serious to lie about something you were never apart of? I mean really come on son...

Nickel please, ain't no way in he**, would I ever want to be a Sonic Boom Groupie during the Lewis Liddell era, you got me flacked up! Son, I never confirmed or denied that I ever were a part of something, please tell me what that something is.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Nickel please, ain't no way in he**, would I ever want to be a Sonic Boom Groupie during the Lewis Liddell era, you got me flacked up! Son, I never confirmed or denied that I ever were a part of something, please tell me what that something is.

Wow!! Security!

And they(I'm not calling any names) were flauntingly saying that "a doctorate in music was required for the position", if you don't know what you are talking about, its best to remain quiet. :retard:

Exactly! Dowell Taylor, Chair, Search Committee for Director of Bands, the man most qualified to select JSU's next director of bands doesn't have a doctorate. If you have common sense that should tell them dodo birds something. Like I said before, They are just upset because JSU alumni and fans don't respect or recognize them because they didn't play(can't say they marched, because they couldn't form a straight line) in a highly renowned version of the Sonic Boom. They are just nobodys who want to be somebody.

Every since Deerpark said "Magruder is too old to be JSU's next Director of Bands, CriTAUcal has been in an attack mode every since, she acts like an angry woman whose husband/man has just left her. By the way, I never marched.

Last edited:
And they(I'm not calling any names) were flauntingly saying that "a doctorate in music was required for the position", if you don't know what you are talking about, its best to remain quiet. :retard:

that was the thuggish one.

Every since Deerpark said "Magruder is too old to be JSU's next Director of Bands, CriTAUcal has been in an attack mode every since, she acts like an angry woman whose husband/man has just left her. By the way, I never marched.

Magruder should stay where he is.

The pay must sucks if this position opens up every damn year and no one is flocking to it. BTW, if one thinks no one with a Masters Degree can do the job and they have to have a Doctorant you are misinformed and clueless. That's why JSU can't fill the position, someone who has a Doctorant is expecting a nice pay, not mediocre. Oh the uppity.:emlaugh:

Last edited:
Jackson need a Phd to for the Sonic Boom. However, since the budget is small they might have to settle for a BS.

Its just shocking that all the music majors that have graduated and marching in that program and one can't be hired on a permanant basis.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The pay must sucks if this position opens up every damn year and no one is flocking to it. BTW, if one thinks no one with a Masters Degree can do the job and they have to have a Doctorant you are misinformed and clueless. That's why JSU can't fill the position, someone who has a Doctorant is expecting a nice pay, not mediocre. Oh the uppity.:emlaugh:
Apparently whomever is responsible for the post already acknowledges that someone with a Master's degree can do the job.

Its just shocking that all the music majors that have graduated and marching in that program and one can't be hired on a permanant basis.

LOL .. why do you figure we can't find a director? This is one of the most prestigous places to direct a band. When Liddell retired, it was last minute so we just let Murray take over the job until we were ready to post the position but then then Mason left for SU. We didn't make any major changes until we hired a President. Now we have hired a President and we have made many hires all over campus. When Murray left for Alcorn at the end of the school year, the easiest thing to do was to bring back Liddell. Now, with everything in place, we are about to seriously look for a band director.

LOL .. why do you figure we can't find a director? This is one of the most prestigous places to direct a band. When Liddell retired, it was last minute so we just let Murray take over the job until we were ready to post the position but then then Mason left for SU. We didn't make any major changes until we hired a President. Now we have hired a President and we have made many hires all over campus. When Murray left for Alcorn at the end of the school year, the easiest thing to do was to bring back Liddell. Now, with everything in place, we are about to seriously look for a band director.

If that makes you sleep better, so be it. Good luck.:tup::tup: BTW, I'm sure many programs don't have to rehire retired band directors, i thought people would be busting doors down to get hired at such a prestigious place.:read:

Last edited:

Good post! Instead of uppity, please insert the word, wannabe.

If that makes you sleep better, so be it. Good luck.:tup::tup: BTW, I'm sure many programs don't have to rehire retired band directors, i thought people would be busting doors down to get hired at such a prestigious place.:read:

uuuh I know you can't read but Liddell was hired in the summer after Murray went to Alcorn. Murray knew he would never get the JSU job so he left and at the time he left, it was too late to post the job and do a decent search by then. Liddell only came back for us to do a search. And I sure people are busting the door down to lead the BOOM.... Just know that as always, your band won't be a match for us no matter who we hire. :lol:

Good post! Instead of uppity, please insert the word, wannabe.

His post is a lie anyway. We only opened the search ONCE and we closed it when we lost our President. This is the first time we opened it since. We didn't open up the search when we brought Liddell back. He's just trying to reach...and YOU are just hating. We did the same thing with many positions on campus. Our AD was about to retire but when Mason left, he stayed around because he knew the school would not want to do an AD search without a permanent President. We do things right and in order at JSU unlike....

Still trying to save face? Liddell's first retired in what year? Murray was hired as an Interim, a search should have been going on then, many should have been flocking to the prestigious lol but o well, pride blinds many.

This position should REQUIRE a doctorate. People do not understand the nature and duel role that a band director with a Doctorate plays within your music department. Furthermore, with the graduate programs at Jackson State University they should place on the job description "Doctorate Degree Required."

I love the way Jackson State University has developed, improved, and sustained their Ph.d and Ed.D programs.

Doesn't take a Doctorant to run an effective band program some of you are so misinformed, would be good but it's not a necessity. There are so many entities in a music department. Hell Dr. Pannell has a terminal degree and look what he took the World Famed through, thank God they have regrouped and starting doing something again. He didn't want to follow the blueprint that Mr. Hutchinson had already laid out and that caused rocky years. I know for a fact without a shadow of a doubt that there were many with Masters that could have done a better job than Dr. Pannell. I know many people with sense from JSU know of many people that went through their program can do the job. Does SU's Mr. Lawrence Jackson have a Doctorant, if he does, he probably didn't have it when he first got the position, solidifying that a Doctorant isn't a necessity to run a great music program. Southern still has a great program. I thought this thread was about Directors of Bands Position and not school wide programs.:read:

Last edited:
Does a Doctorate really equates to a better product on the field at halftime?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back