BE Top 50 Black Colleges

I have talked to someone in HR . I recruit for the largest Defense Contractor in the world.:idea:

What this poll doesn?t consider is that African Americans not only earn a higher education at an HBCU, but also gain a sense of identity and heritage, associate with others who are connected to the concerns of the Black community, and experience a nurturing atmosphere.

The educational, socioeconomic, and sometimes political advantages of attending an HBCU aren't the only benefits. There are also the intangible, but no less important national benefits such as having a full spectrum of Blacks participate in student government, the administration and a student's increased comfortability being educated by and with people who look like you and value your concerns.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
I have talked to someone in HR . I recruit for the largest Defense Contractor in the world.:idea:

Talk to someone in one of the Big Five or any other large financial institution. Not that I work for a large financial institution or anything...

Originally posted by Ice Man
What this poll doesn?t consider is that African Americans not only earn a higher education at an HBCU, but also gain a sense of identity and heritage, associate with others who are connected to the concerns of the Black community, and experience a nurturing atmosphere.

The educational, socioeconomic, and sometimes political advantages of attending an HBCU aren't the only benefits. There are also the intangible, but no less important national benefits such as having a full spectrum of Blacks participate in student government, the administration and a student's increased comfortability being educated by and with people who look like you and value your concerns.
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!

And having attended a pwc also, I can tell you that the benefits that Ice Man speaks about is NONEXISTENT at pwc.

Originally posted by mighty hornet

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!

And having attended a pwc also, I can tell you that the benefits that Ice Man speaks about is NONEXISTENT at pwc.

Heritage: The largest archive of African American history is at Tulane University. TU also has an excellent African Diaspora Studies program, and Yoruba is offered through the Antropology Dept.

Community: When we are put in a situation where, as in the real world, we are in the minority, we stuck together. Sure, some people had their own thing, but for the most part, we were in it together. We didn't have fights between each other like what I've witnessed in certain situations like the AUC...

Diversity of Black People: We had people from all over the country and the world coming together, just on a smaller scale than on an HBCU campus.

Bottom line: I'm not putting anyone down. I just take umbrage at the "uncle tom" comments directed toward Unknown1. I don't agree with the statements that attending a PWC is not beneficial to a Black person. As I said earlier, we are not a monolithic group, and what is good for one of us is not for another. However, some of you need to take off the school coloured glasses and look at the world objectively. Just as on the other thread, Jackson State is not on the same level as Harvard. Hell, Tulane is not on the same level as Harvard.

sophrandos,
If you have the largest archive of African American history at Tulane, then good for you.

But that doesn't mean that daily life for the African American student at Tulane is better than it would be at Southern.

I'm not knocking anybody for attending school anywhere.

But I do recognize the value and benefits of attending an HBCU.

And I take exception when a "poll" would rank so many of these colleges where blacks are probably less than 10% of the student population and say that these schools are better for African Americans than the vast majority of HBCUs.

Gimme a break!

sophrandos,
If you have the largest archive of African American history at Tulane, then good for you.

But that doesn't mean that daily life for the African American student at Tulane is better than it would be at Southern.

I'm not knocking anybody for attending school anywhere.

But I do recognize the value and benefits of attending an HBCU.

And I take exception when a "poll" would rank so many of these colleges where blacks are probably less than 10% of the student population and say that these schools are better for African Americans than the vast majority of HBCUs.

Gimme a break!

You're missing the point. When you say "the African American student," you're lumping all of us together. That's simply not right. I attended what this poll calls the #1 school for "the African American student" for a year. I did not like it for many reasons. My brother recently graduated from Southern. He was happy there. Now, we grew up in the same family, but because we are two different people, we sought different things in our university decision. If two people in the same family can have different experiences, then certainly two unrelated African American students can have different experiences. Thus, the term "the African American student" is not valid, and this poll is not valid, in my opinion, which is what I think you were saying anyway. :)

Gee, thanks for enlightening me that different people seek different things in their collegiate experience.

And of course, I don't know every African American student and I can't speak for all.

But at the same time, I'm not foolish enough to think that "many African American students would be better off by going to a Mount Holyoke College or a Vassar College than by attending an HBCU

I guess having a large endowmment means that the school must be good for "the African American student" to attend.

Gee, thanks for enlightening me that different people seek different things in their collegiate experience.

And of course, I don't know every African American student and I can't speak for all.

But at the same time, I'm not foolish enough to think that "many African American students would be better off by going to a Mount Holyoke College or a Vassar College than by attending an HBCU

I guess having a large endowmment means that the school must be good for "the African American student" to attend.

You're still missing the point. The poll is fallacious because the primary assumption is that all African American students are the same. BTW, many African American students MAY BE better off at Vassar than at some HBCUs. Just because it's predominantly Black doesn't mean that it is best for all Black people. Clarence Thomas is Black; is he better for Black people?

Dude,
No where in my post did I say that an HBCU is best for all black people.

LMAO@you for throwing out Clarence Thomas' name.

:lmao:

Originally posted by sophrandros
Going to a PWC does NOT mean that you don't "respect" HBCUs; rather, it means that you made an educational decision.
Are you suggesting that going to an HBCU means that you did not make "an educational decision"

:(

sophandros,

HBCUs not only take the brightest African American, they take those, who in high school barely made it and those without direction. The ones with the low SAT and ACT scores. HBCUs turn a lot of them in very productive people. When PWCs start doing this we can talk.

The vast majority of PWCs only give edcational opportunity to the top African American, those that need their help the least. Many who probably participated in the poll. These people would succeed anywhere.

Are you suggesting that going to an HBCU means that you did not make "an educational decision"

:(

One's choice of university is an educational decision, just as one's choice of dinner is a culinary decision.

Don't read your paranoia into my words.

Originally posted by Ice Man
sophandros,

HBCUs not only take the brightest African American, they take those, who in high school barely made it and those without direction. The ones with the low SAT and ACT scores. HBCUs turn a lot of them in very productive people. When PWCs start doing this we can talk.

The vast majority of PWCs only give edcational opportunity to the top African American, those that need their help the least. Many who probably participated in the poll. These people would succeed anywhere.

My point for this entire discussion is that I don't put very much merit in this poll for a number of reasons. You just gave me another.

Many PWCs take the same types of kids. Those schools are your land-grant state schools. There has been a trend in recent years, however, of states putting up a plethora of community colleges. This is giving more and more people the opportunity to get a college education, and will eliminate the remedial programs at the university level.

Originally posted by sophandros
Many PWCs take the same types of kids. Those schools are your land-grant state schools.
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you and you're not saying that PWCs are "taking the same types of kids"

:smh:

There's no point in trying to have a discussion with some of these people. All some folks see is one half of the spectrum, and then get mad when you speak from the other half. And MH, how many people does ASU graduate per year PERIOD, as compared to how many people SHOULD be graduating? What's the success rate for ASU grads? I'm not sayin the school is 3rd rate, but I went to ASU and I went to Howard, and the difference between the two is damn near like night & day. You're speaking from pride just like JROCK, while i'm speaking from firsthand experience on both points im making. FACT, Howard has one of the best medical schools, dentistry schools, business schools, and engineering schools IN THE COUNTRY, not just between HBCU's. FACT, GT has one of the top 3 engineering programs IN THE COUNTRY, and provides more post graduate engineering degrees to AA's than any school. FACT, I didn't even go to class half the time @ ASU and still had a 4.0. I think that it should be a factor in which school is the best for AA's when professors will GIVE you a grade that you didn't earn just because they like you.:rolleyes: And I guess none of what I just posted is accurate either huh?:rolleyes: Also how many SWAC institutions compared to MEAC institutions have open admissions?

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you and you're not saying that PWCs are "taking the same types of kids"

:smh:

You go to many state schools, and you will find kids with "marginal" SAT/ACT scores. Additionally, if you go to any JC or CC, you will find even more. State schools, like Nicholls State, SLU, etc. are PWCs, btw.

It's sooooo easy to get on here and post stuff about your G.P.A., how easy/hard stuff is to you, and any other thing you want to "prove" whatever point you're trying to make.

And how do you know that Howard or any other school has one of the best programs in the country? Did some other "polls" tell you that too?

I hope you don't fool yourself into thinking that us dumb HBCU folks actually believe some of this stuff you're saying man.

like.....

you didn't go to class and still had a 4.0 cause the professors liked you.

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by unknown1
Also how many SWAC institutions compared to MEAC institutions have open admissions?

Many predominantly white state schools have open admissions.

I think that too much of an issue is being made of the demographics of a school as opposed to academics, etc. of the school.

I hope you don't fool yourself into thinking that us dumb HBCU folks actually believe some of this stuff you're saying man.

What I don't get is your inferiority complex. NO ONE is saying that HBCUs are worse or that HBCU people are dumb or inferior.

You seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder. If a Black student chooses Millsaps over Jackson State (or vice versa), there is nothing wrong with that. That's all that I've been trying to tell you for the last 20 posts or so.

Damn, I see that you don't get the sarcasm.
:rolleyes:

Now if you calmly scroll back up you will see where I posted

"I'm not knocking anybody for attending school anywhere.

I have absolutely no problem with African Americans going to predominantly white school. However, I do draw the line when these same students feel that it's something inherently wrong with HBCUs. That our education is somehow less, that it's sooo easy at HBCUs, and all the other garbage that I've heard time and again.

Gimme a damn break. Like I said, I've gone to a pwc too, so I'm not fooled in the least bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by sophandros

Heritage: The largest archive of African American history is at Tulane University. TU also has an excellent African Diaspora Studies program, and Yoruba is offered through the Antropology Dept.

Community: When we are put in a situation where, as in the real world, we are in the minority, we stuck together. Sure, some people had their own thing, but for the most part, we were in it together. We didn't have fights between each other like what I've witnessed in certain situations like the AUC...

Diversity of Black People: We had people from all over the country and the world coming together, just on a smaller scale than on an HBCU campus.

Bottom line: I'm not putting anyone down. I just take umbrage at the "uncle tom" comments directed toward Unknown1. I don't agree with the statements that attending a PWC is not beneficial to a Black person. As I said earlier, we are not a monolithic group, and what is good for one of us is not for another. However, some of you need to take off the school coloured glasses and look at the world objectively. Just as on the other thread, Jackson State is not on the same level as Harvard. Hell, Tulane is not on the same level as Harvard.

First, let me say I dont care about your opinion about my Uncle Tom comment. Everyone dont have the same lens and ours are apparently different. Next, it does not take rocket science to discern that we are not monolithic. The topic of this thread is BE Top 50 colleges for Blacks in America. One does not have to utilize "glasses" to know that most of the schools on the list by sheer volume has not served the black community as well as SWAC schools that I mentioned on my initial post. Also, the college missions dont have the longevity, if at all have been altered for service to Black American like SWAC member institutions. Finally, when one questions the number of HBCU graduates that work at McDonald's this just reiterates my Uncle Tom perspective. With no pun intended, did Tulane make the list? Do the other PWC on this list do a better job of educating blacks in America via diversity of curriculum with volume? Lastly, we have different lens at it relates to "tiers" of colleges and probably have a different perspective about standard testing.

I personally don't care what school you attend as long as you are going it is a good thing. My only problem is that I don't want this young man Unknown1 to come out of school like so many of these young kids thinking because I went to GT I am going to be sitting on top of the world because these guys in this industry will disappiont him real fast. If I don't know anything else I know what happens in the engineering feild. I am from Atlanta so I know thousands of engineers who work over there who went to GT,MIT and Morehouse you name them. Corp. America is a good ole boy network always has and always will be. They don't give a hoot were you go to school you ain't going to run there company believe that.

Originally posted by JROCK

Lastly, we have different lens at it relates to "tiers" of colleges and probably have a different perspective about standard testing.

The tiering that some employers do is not a matter of opinion; rather, it is something that they actually do. For instance, a Harvard or Princeton grad will be placed in a higher tier than a Tulane or Southern grad. The former two have a better reputation than the latter two, and it's not a demographics thing.

The standardized testing remark is a straw man argument, but I'll respond to it anyway because you made an assumption and lost. I don't believe in standardized testing as a primary indicator of academic acheivement or intellegence. Besides the racial biases inherent in these tests, the use of standardized tests leads to mediocraty, not a higher standard.

Back