BE Top 50 Black Colleges

I know what the problem is...

Ya'll know how folks at the HBCU's do it!!!

"Today Chancellor Johnson dun worked my last nerve! Now, they want me to fill dis hea siht out for him???

1) Student life
a) highly recommend b) satisfactory c) passable d) don't give a dayum

I'll select d)"

:cool:

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
The SWAC never gets any props...I can't believe it's us on the list.

SU normally makes the listing. I dont believe that many of these PWC do a better job than most SWAC schools and surely dont put out the volume of professionals.

Re: I know what the problem is...

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard
Ya'll know how folks at the HBCU's do it!!!

"Today Chancellor Johnson dun worked my last nerve! Now, they want me to fill dis hea siht out for him???

1) Student life
a) highly recommend b) satisfactory c) passable d) don't give a dayum

I'll select d)"

:cool:

That is not really true the people who ranked these schools are selected by BE and most time they are east coast people who went to one of those schools. Look at how BET was for a long time it's feeding ground was Hampton and Howard.

SAD...

I have not read the article yet. But I suspect that I will again find BE's rankings suspect. Selecting a college should be what is the best for a student. Of course the family must consider finances. A big city school may be good for one person but not their sibling. The same could be said for a small town school. For many students a small school would be better. There are other factors. To me this list ignores these things.

Originally posted by JROCK

SU normally makes the listing. I dont believe that many of these PWC do a better job than most SWAC schools and surely dont put out the volume of professionals.

And that's based on what? There are plenty of PWC's that are excellent schools and put out more professional blacks in one year than many HBCU's do in 5.

Originally posted by unknown1

And that's based on what? There are plenty of PWC's that are excellent schools and put out more professional blacks in one year than many HBCU's do in 5.

I did not say that there are not excellent PWC'S. I notice you have the proclivity to jump on and endorse anything that is white for no rhyme or reason. My statement was that I dont think that many of these schools do a better job than most SWAC schools for BLACKS. Your statment about more professional blacks in one year than may HBCU in 5 has nothing to do with SWAC colleges. And, is sheer FABRICATION when referring to SWAC colleges. Please get a clue.

It is you that need to do the reseach: None of the PW Universities in the top 50 have a larger number of blacks, graduate more black professionals or of greater service to Blacks in America than:

Southern U.
Jackson State
TX Southern
Grambling
Bama State

That aforementioned is 1/2 of the SWAC. Most cant compare to the second half of the list either. Please do your research and stop making asinine statements with no support.

You are going to tell me that Berea College is a better place for blacks than PV??? c'mon now. Or South Carolina is better that South Carolina State? Huhh??

This is one of the most ridiculous studies yet, it seems in an effort to improve their rankings, they just made them more bogus. Honestly how can a person at a small school in Iowa know what the heck life is like for a black person @ Tougaloo or Rust in Ms.??

Black people when will we ever learn???

Originally posted by Bengal E
You are going to tell me that Berea College is a better place for blacks than PV??? c'mon now. Or South Carolina is better that South Carolina State? Huhh??

This is one of the most ridiculous studies yet, it seems in an effort to improve their rankings, they just made them more bogus. Honestly how can a person at a small school in Iowa know what the heck life is like for a black person @ Tougaloo or Rust in Ms.??

Black people when will we ever learn???
I agree!!!!!

For some reason, I can't access the complete "poll", but I remember when they did it before and they had a whole lot of small predominantly white schools in out of the way places ranked while the vast majority of HBCUs not ranked as being a good college for African Americans.

The sad thing is that some folks will actually give credence to some hogwash like that poll.

:smh:

It's not about me jumping on anything "white". I simply asked for an explanation, of which you still didn't give a good one. I agree that the MEAC excels in being great schools for blacks, as compared to the SWAC. I'm not sayin the SWAC schools are inferior, but having gone to both a SWAC institution, a MEAC institution, and a PWC, there ARE MAJOR differences. How would you know what schools do a better job for blacks, SWAC or PWC? Is that pride speaking, or facts? So inform me, what exactly is it that the "SWAC" is doing for blacks that these other schools aren't to make them successful. And also, how many of those "graduates" are in difference making positions? How many are in a positions to pull for those under them? How many are managers at McDonalds? My point was that there is NO way to determine which school is better for blacks. There are plenty of graduates from EVERY school, black and white that aren't PROFESSIONALS. Explain to me why SU is better for blacks than a GT or a FSU....just curious....and I KNOW how many black "professionals" Bama State graduates, and to say they graduate the most professional blacks in black america is plain STUPID!!!! Hell I went to the school for 2 years so I KNOW better than that. Now if you want to add Spelman, Morehouse, and Howard to that list, then i'll agree with you.

I am not doing research for your lazy dumb arse. I know the answers to the questions. You on the other hand, have made asinine assumptions like a true Uncle Tom.
It may be a good idea to learn how to comprehend what you are reading before you start your research.

Y'all cats are getting crunk in here. LOL!

The following is the criteria for selection of the respective schools.

How schools were selected for the project
Colleges were selected to be in our analysis based on one of two criteria. 1. They are accredited four-year colleges that have an African American student enrollment of at least 3%; or 2. Every other college that did not meet criteria one, but is a large or well-known university (e.g., the University of Utah, New Mexico State University, etc.). The goal was to be as inclusive as pos-sible without including schools that would be of little interest to black students. This process resulted in 482 colleges.

According to the first criteria, every HBCU should be selected. Looking at the list of schools it appears BE pulled from hat (totally subjective).

No PV, AAMU, Icon Grambling, J-State -- Grambling and J-State have renowned C.S. programs. The Shreveport Times issed an article about two years ago and mentioned 3/5 C.S. graduates from Grambling go to IBM. Gram is one of the nation's leaders in awarding biology degrees.

Where is Georgia Tech? Tech awards more engineering degrees to blacks at the BS, MS, and PhD. levels than any school in the nation (according to Black Issues in Higher Education). Virtually all of the black graduate students at Tech are from HBCUs.

MIT is on the list -- are you serious?

Originally posted by GSUperTiger
Y'all cats are getting crunk in here. LOL!

Where is Georgia Tech? Tech awards more engineering degrees to blacks at the BS, MS, and PhD. levels than any school in the nation (according to Black Issues in Higher Education). Virtually all of the black graduate students at Tech are from HBCUs.

This is no different than what I was saying. But this idiot insists on making baseless judgments and childish namecalling, rather than going to find these "statistics" he so-called has. He's one of those people that only sees one side of the argument, which just so conveniently happens to be his. Arguments are baseless without merit playa, and until you bring proof for your :bawling: :bawling: rather than making your typical "uncle tom" comments when you don't have anything else to rely on, then don't bother to respond.

i can't believe it; i agree with unkown1

I agree with one of unkown1's points, but will not elaborate until I get more feedback from Jrock. ,,, but basically,,, I think U1 cuts to the core of the issue with one of his questions to Jrock.

Reasons Why BE's List is Not Credible

BE:
How schools were selected for the project
Colleges were selected to be in our analysis based on one of two criteria. 1. They are accredited four-year colleges that have an African American student enrollment of at least 3%; or 2. Every other college that did not meet criteria one, but is a large or well-known university (e.g., the University of Utah, New Mexico State University, etc.). The goal was to be as inclusive as pos-sible without including schools that would be of little interest to black students. This process resulted in 482 colleges.

Selection criteria 1 and 2 are not related. So, why even have criteria 2. An alternative to criteria 2 would be the presence of a support sytems such as black student organizations on a campus.
Without support systems, even the large or well known universities are unattractive.

BE:
Calculating the DayStar Rating
The DayStar rating was calculated by developing a regression-based weighted multiplicative index combining four variables: 1) percentage of African American undergraduate students; 2) the school's DayStar rating from 1999; 3) average survey score for the school's social environment for African American students; and 4) average survey score for the school's educational environment for African American students.

The use of the school's Day Star from 1999 handicaps those universities that were not rated highly in 1999 but have made significant improvements since that time. This maintains the status quo. So, once your on BE's Top 50 List, you are assured of being listed for as long as the continues. Thus, the 5 MEAC schools will remain on the list forever, and the SWAC will have 1 or 2 schools. If GSU, with accreditation problems, had been listed, it would discredited the list.

However, based upon my above statements, the list appears to not be credible.

Originally posted by unknown1
..and I KNOW how many black "professionals" Bama State graduates, and to say they graduate the most professional blacks in black america is plain STUPID!!!! Hell I went to the school for 2 years so I KNOW better than that.
Well then, exactly how many black professionals do ASU graduate every year?
:smh:

And please explain how "the MEAC excels at being great schools for blacks, compared to the SWAC"
:rolleyes:

PWCs are not all that come on now. I work with a guy that got a BS from STanford in EE and a MS from MIT in CS. Man we were looking at some requirements one day and this cat was lost I was like what's wrong dude? this cat did not no the differance between a BIT and a BYTE. I was like huh? :confused: All he does is brag on how hard MIT was and he learned so much. To make a long story short it is not the school it is the person. Because actually the best engineers I have run across for the last ten years have been from Southern and TU.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
PWCs are not all that come on now. I work with a guy that got a BS from STanford in EE and a MS from MIT in CS. Man we were looking at some requirements one day and this cat was lost I was like what's wrong dude? this cat did not no the differance between a BIT and a BITE. I was like huh? :confused: All he does is brag on how hard MIT was and he learned so much. To make a long story short it is not the school it is the person. Because actually the best engineers I have run across for the last ten years have been from Southern and TU.

One anecdotal story does not the truth make.

This is turning into that discussion about whether Harvard or Jackson State is better.

FWIW, I attended the "#1 school for Blacks" for a year and transferred to a school not on the list. I was happier at my alma mater, and it has openned doors for me. I recommend to BE that they get their head out of their arse, and look at top schools PERIOD. We are NOT a monolithic group, even though some of us want for us to be. We are very diverse, and no one other than me can say whether a school is a good fit for me.

And of course, when you say "TU", you mean The Tulane University of Lousiana. ;)

And of course, when you say "TU", you mean The Tulane University of Lousiana.
No I mean Tuskegee University. I am not comparing HBCU's to PWC's. I have attended both two. That is another topic, but what I am saying don't be fooled that going to a PWC will open doors for you because it will not. YT will respect you more for respecting yourself than trying to be something else. Corporate America is one of the most scandalous (SP) places it is and if YT know you don't respect your own he knows damn well he can't trust you so he has no use for you. believe that player I have seen it happen many times.;)

Originally posted by CEE DOG

No I mean Tuskegee University. I am not comparing HBCU's to PWC's. I have attended both two. That is another topic, but what I am saying don't be fooled that going to a PWC will open doors for you because it will not. YT will respect you more for respecting yourself than trying to be something else. Corporate America is one of the most scandalous (SP) places it is and if YT know you don't respect your own he knows damn well he can't trust you so he has no use for you. believe that player I have seen it happen many times.;)

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I've been in Corporate America for some time now, and they care more about your US News ranking, reputation, and CONTACTS more than anything else. Hell, one of the main reasons that one door was opened for me was via networking. I was interviewing for an intern position while in college. One of the VPs at the company graduated from my HIGH SCHOOL in the fifties--before they ALLOWED Blacks there. He told me not to worry about the rest of the interview, and to show up Monday. That I have Tulane University on my resume has helped me a great deal, as well. When a school has an excellent reputation among ALL people, it opens doors for you. When your school has alumni in high places everywhere, it opens doors for you. Going to a PWC does NOT mean that you don't "respect" HBCUs; rather, it means that you made an educational decision. Talk to some people in HR, and they will tell you that when they are hiring, they tier applicants, and one of the factors is the school from which they hold a degree. That's the system, and until I get in a position with more influence, it's not changing much.

Back