BE Top 50 Black Colleges

Originally posted by CEE DOG
Corp. America is a good ole boy network always has and always will be. They don't give a hoot were you go to school you ain't going to run there company believe that.

The good ole boy network often starts with where you went to school, to which organizations you belong, and who your parents are friends with.

sophandros, I don't care what you say Ga,MS,Al, Tn and all the southern states will never change. Don't give me that crap you are talking I know about doors opening and networks. My father was one of the first blacks Coke hired in there corp. office in Atl. So I know about networks from the Pres. to the VP. so go tell that bull to somebody else. These good ole boys don't care about you going to Tulane man they would eat you alive then laugh about it.

sophandros, I don't care what you say Ga,MS,Al, Tn and all the southern states will never change. Don't give me that crap you are talking I know about doors opening and networks. My father was one of the first blacks Coke hired in there corp. office in Atl. So I know about networks from the Pres. to the VP. so go tell that bull to somebody else. These good ole boys don't care about you going to Tulane man they would eat you alive then laugh about it.

That's funny, because I've had a different experience than you have, and I've some of it in the South, as well. I don't need to name drop in order to tell you how many doors I've had open for me. I can tell you, however, that the academic reputation of my school factored GREATLY in the last two jobs that I've held.

Dude believe what you want. Trent lott is not the only one thinking like he does about us. Until we get more minority businesses we are in trouble.

Dude believe what you want. Trent lott is not the only one thinking like he does about us. Until we get more minority businesses we are in trouble.

Go start one. No one is saying that things are perfect, but they are much better than they were in the past. You seem to have some deep issues, by the way.

Originally posted by sophandros

The tiering that some employers do is not a matter of opinion; rather, it is something that they actually do. For instance, a Harvard or Princeton grad will be placed in a higher tier than a Tulane or Southern grad. The former two have a better reputation than the latter two, and it's not a demographics thing.

The standardized testing remark is a straw man argument, but I'll respond to it anyway because you made an assumption and lost. I don't believe in standardized testing as a primary indicator of academic acheivement or intellegence. Besides the racial biases inherent in these tests, the use of standardized tests leads to mediocraty, not a higher standard.

The operative word you used is "some" employers. Do you know what percentage? Further, what makes you "assume" that tiering is not inherently bias against black state owned instituions?

Finally, I dont "lose" with your perspective on standardized testing. Dont "assume" that not probable is definitive and always is accompanied by possibility.

so many great takes on both sides here!

I can't speak to all of them. I would like to engage JRock on this, but don't have time to sift through all these replies and respond.

I don't see what the big suprise is about this list, but that's because I'm looking at the list from a strictly engineering major perspective.

As far as the real world and where you graduate from,,, I think graduating from a PWC gives you an instant boost, at the very minimum, in the state of the PWC. Graduating from an HBCU, you are just flat going to have a harder go of it and will be given less the benefit of the doubt. I would agree that, ultimately, it boils down to the individual no matter what school you went to, but the real world does not work like that. Also, due to more and better access to equipment and leading edge technology, some schools have advantages over others in that respect.

What I love about my experience at Tuskegee and NCA&T was the "underdog" aspect of the students that went through TU. When I was at TU from 82-87, I was STUNNED by the mugz that came from the so called "poorest counties/worst school systems in the state" (ERRRRR, the predominantly black, poorest counties in the state) that just STRAIGHT-UP BUSTED AAAAAAAAA$$ at Tuskegee and turned out, in hindsite, to be some of the most TENACIOUS, BRILLIANT MO-FOS I EVER MET and went on to BUST AAAAAAAAAAAA$$ at your HBCUs with masters programs and your Stanfords, your Cornells, your RPI, et al at the MS and PHd level if they decided to go that far.

At the same time, I dont' discount PWC mugz nor label them like they label HBCUs. There are some bad mo-fos dat went to PWCs. Just cause you go to a PWC don't mean you don't know ish. The bottom line is you better take everything on a case-by-case basis. Never under estimate anybody. It's great to have full opportunity and HBCU can't rest on lorals and the past and HBCUs must continuously improve and compete now days is all I can say in summary on this thread.

I attended both

I started school at the Univ of Wisconsin at Madison one of Americas finest universities while I enjoyed my stay there my most well rounded experience was at Southern university there I learned that there is a difference between black and white first of all most pwc only accept the best of us so you truly only get to see one kind of black person . At Southern I learned that black people come from all different walks of life you find those things out when your around TEN THOUSAND black people as compared 743 at Wisconsin that's right 743 out of 41,000. Do you guys know there are more blacks at JSU,SU,and TxSU than at all SEC schools combined and more at Southern than at all Big 10 schools combined checkout there enrollment numbers at their websities but look for blacks not minority. As for blacks being a monolith the more black people you interact with the more divirsity you see. As for comparing GT, Howard, Swac schools those are apples , oranges,andpears first of all Howard does not represent the whole MEAC its a private school with a large endowment so is Hampton while those schools excel, schools like Delaware state, Morgan State and MarylandEast Shore struggle. It is not uncommon for Southern, NcA&T, and PVU to trade places in graduating the most black engineers in the country. These are swac and meac schools besides Famu 's agriculture program is based on Southern's because our Ag department is one of only five in country set up the way it is with it own chancellor and campus adding a fifth campus to Americas only HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGE SYSTEM you know like the UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA OR THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS.
It never ceases to amaze that we are the only people in America that put our own schools down in order to uplift schools that won't even accept the talented tenth you can go to any school you want to but keep this in mind according to the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION while only 25 percent of blacks who attend college attend HBCU's 64percent of those who graduate from college graduate from HBCU'S. By the way according to the same report only 26 percent of Americans hold college degrees. Southern 's main campus is in Baton Rouge, their are also campuses in Sherveport la, New Orleans, The school of Law, and the School of Agriculture.

I posted this on the Sports Board

Grambling 11-15
JSU 20
Tex. South. ~20
Ala. St. ~20
UAPB ~20
Alcorn 11-15
SU 6-10
MVSU ~20
AAMU 6-10
PVAM N/A

What are these numbers? Football graduation rates from NCAA.org. We need these numbers, as well as the overall graduation rates to be higher. NOT ONE SWAC school had a student body grad rate above 50%, and Southern and Alabama A&M are giving places like Tennessee and Oklahoma runs for their money when it comes to treating football players (almost exclusively young Black men) like chattel.

The argument against paying players is usually, "they're getting an education for their services..." Well, clearly, this is not the case.

SOPHANDROS

Do you know the background behind these number most SWAC schools are public and have either very low or no admission standards so there mission is different. Second in these surveys transfers don't count only players who started and finished at the same school as a matter of fact they count against the grad rate. It also doesn't count players who stay over five years but still graduate. According to the Dept of Education it takes the average student 5yrs
to graduate. That's going fulltime.

"Luke, what we have here is a failure to communicate!":lmao:

Yes the poll is bogus, you would need two polls to be correct. One for the elitist and one for the common man. Kind of like the house and field isht...

Most hbcu's are state schools and a good majority of their students are still first generation college students, while the students at elitist schools such as a Howard, Hampton, Spelman and a lot of the pwc's are often second and third generation college students and their is a difference. Both are needed but one is not better than the other...

My question is which is more valuable to society???

We are only as strong as our weakest link!

Have a good Day!

Re: I attended both

Originally posted by Bigtyme69
I started school at the Univ of Wisconsin at Madison one of Americas finest universities while I enjoyed my stay there my most well rounded experience was at Southern university there I learned that there is a difference between black and white first of all most pwc only accept the best of us so you truly only get to see one kind of black person . At Southern I learned that black people come from all different walks of life you find those things out when your around TEN THOUSAND black people as compared 743 at Wisconsin that's right 743 out of 41,000. Do you guys know there are more blacks at JSU,SU,and TxSU than at all SEC schools combined and more at Southern than at all Big 10 schools combined checkout there enrollment numbers at their websities but look for blacks not minority. B]

In my conversing with a number of blacks at pwc's and I attended one also, I have often heard the phrase in referring to hbcu's from these blacks and I quote; " There are to many blacks there for me"
Have you ever heard anyone say that??

For Real G

Yes I have heard that figure that isht out. Have you heard this one it's not the real world as if Hbcu's exist in some vaccum.

Heritage: The largest archive of African American history is at Tulane University. TU also has an excellent African Diaspora Studies program, and Yoruba is offered through the Antropology Dept.

Texas Southern's Robert J. Terry Library houses many of the university?s treasured collections, including the Mickey Leland and Barbara Jordan archives and the Heartman Collection. The Heartman collection is the largest known collection of rare documents relating to African American and slave history (larger than the Library of Congress). Its earliest documents date back to the 1600?s and Texas Southern University purchased this collection while Dr. O?Hara Lanier was President .

Re: SOPHANDROS

Originally posted by Bigtyme69
Do you know the background behind these number most SWAC schools are public and have either very low or no admission standards so there mission is different. Second in these surveys transfers don't count only players who started and finished at the same school as a matter of fact they count against the grad rate. It also doesn't count players who stay over five years but still graduate. According to the Dept of Education it takes the average student 5yrs
to graduate. That's going fulltime.

I know that, and the NCAA uses SIX year periods for their grad rates, and it takes into account transfer students.

Originally posted by C-LeB28

Texas Southern's Robert J. Terry Library houses many of the university?s treasured collections, including the Mickey Leland and Barbara Jordan archives and the Heartman Collection. The Heartman collection is the largest known collection of rare documents relating to African American and slave history (larger than the Library of Congress). Its earliest documents date back to the 1600?s and Texas Southern University purchased this collection while Dr. O?Hara Lanier was President .

The Amistad Research Center is the largest archive of African American History in America, not the largest collection of rare items. It is the largest collection of documents. PERIOD.

BTW, the reason that I posted grad rates is two-fold. One is that this level of abuse takes place all over America, and something needs to be done. These guys go out there and make millions for their schools, never seeing a dime of it. The argument is that they are getting an education, but if they aren't graduating, then what education are they getting? Furthermore, along with the athletic grad rates, the NCAA posts the general grad rates of the schools. These numbers are also low at the schools that I listed above. One has to wonder about the factors involved: school support, family support, student motivation, economics, etc. One has to wonder whether the schools themselves have taken this into consideration.

Originally posted by mighty hornet

Well then, exactly how many black professionals do ASU graduate every year?
:smh:

And please explain how "the MEAC excels at being great schools for blacks, compared to the SWAC"
:rolleyes:

mh, I do not think that you question was answered. I am still waiting.

Now, I have only come across a few Alabama State grads. But I have come across a lot of people from Fort Valley, where a lot of my relatives went, and some from Albany State and Savannah State. As a second generation PV grad I have of course come across a lot of grads from PV. I know that schools like PVAMU, FVSU, ASU (Alcorn, Alabama State, and Albany State), and SSU. Graduates from those schools can compete and have competed with grads from any other institution. As GST said most of the Black grad students at Georgia Tech come from HBCUs. Over half of the Black engineering grad students previously finished from an HBCU before coming to Texas A&M. BTW they finished. Like it or not. Believe it or not. Those facts can't lie.

Let's understand this. SWAC schools educate students that most other schools will not touch. I will stand behind that statement 100%.

Originally posted by EB

Let's understand this. SWAC schools educate students that most other schools will not touch. I will stand behind that statement 100%.

And I as well. Texas Southern is an open admissions institution. Texas Southern takes kids that other local campuses would call the law on if were on their campus and TSU educates and nutures them and develop them into productive and professional citizens.

Is Texas Southern for every African American? No.

Is Notre Dame for every Catholic? No

Is Baylor for every Baptist? No.

Is Yeshiva for every Jew? No.

But I applaud Texas Southern as well as some other institutions of higher learning to open it's doors to the disadvantaged youth who would have no other choice.

Originally posted by C-LeB28

And I as well. Texas Southern is an open admissions institution. Texas Southern takes kids that other local campuses would call the law on if were on their campus and TSU educates and nutures them and develop them into productive and professional citizens.

Is Texas Southern for every African American? No.

Is Notre Dame for every Catholic? No

Is Baylor for every Baptist? No.

Is Yeshiva for every Jew? No.

But I applaud Texas Southern as well as some other institutions of higher learning to open it's doors to the disadvataged youth who would have no other choice.

I agree with you on that, and that is another reason that this list is invalid.

Originally posted by G Lion
"

Most hbcu's are state schools and a good majority of their students are still first generation college students, while the students at elitist schools such as a Howard, Hampton, Spelman and a lot of the pwc's are often second and third generation college students and their is a difference. Both are needed but one is not better than the other...

We are only as strong as our weakest link!

Have a good Day!
So can anyone address my question?

No one is saying that things are perfect, but they are much better than they were in the past.

Now there is where Dwight Mann has you fooled. No, it is much more subtle than better. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by G Lion

So can anyone address my question?

Both are equally valuable. One starts a tradition within a family and the other perpetuates a tradition. I think that your question is like asking whether the first leg or the third leg of a relay is more valuable. :)

Back