Are celebrity coaching hires a reflection of poor fundraising at HBCUs?

Canvassing almost monthly. Howard University has an insatiable appetite for gifting, almost monthly, literally. I hear from PV if not twice a year.

I hear from my Texas Southern about three to four times a year, but instead of request for donations to grow the endowment or to a capital campaign it usually is for student relief due to a bad weather event or something covid related.

Interesting that nearly all were private institutions. I bet they are understaffed just as our public HBCUs are, so what are they doing different?

It always is. When I saw a list a couple years ago, the top 6 schools were all private (Tougaloo was at #6). Also if we wanna address that elephant in the room about how certain alums from certain private HBCUs "move different" as to why they can easily get those large donations at the expense of other HBCUs, we can go there

What they do different is that they usually beat it into their students to give so that when they become alums, it's already in them. Tougaloo was able to raise money to redo the floor of ther gym and rename about Strib in a day of giving.

Also, none of them are as large as the larger public HBCUs

It always is. When I saw a list a couple years ago, the top 6 schools were all private (Tougaloo was at #6). Also if we wanna address that elephant in the room about how certain alums from certain private HBCUs "move different" as to why they can easily get those large donations at the expense of other HBCUs, we can go there

What they do different is that they usually beat it into their students to give so that when they become alums, it's already in them. Tougaloo was able to raise money to redo the floor of ther gym and rename about Strib in a day of giving.

Also, none of them are as large as the larger public HBCUs

Also, none of them are as large as the larger public HBCUs...
Ding Ding Ding. Most of the private schools have enrollments that are only a fraction of the public schools with the exception of maybe Howard. They can get fewer alumni to give and their rates look much better than say a larger public HBCU with a much larger alumni base.

Preach! Alumni know where there Alma Mater is located, if they really want to donate, contact the university! ✔
Some of these alum got more excuses than a man in jail as to why they don't give. But they will show up to homecoming in high end vehicles, designer clothes from neck to nuts and weaves to butts 😆. Blowing money on all kinds of stuff that doesn't go the HBCU directly and then ask dumb questions like why the school don't have the funds needed to be successful. Make it make sense.

As an alum of a school with easily the worst fundraising department in the SWAC, I can say yes in some cases. JSU was solid with the fundraising before Deion but he has taken it to another level with the 9 digits in free advertising for them. Eddie George and what he means to the Titans is gonna be a gold mine for the Tigers.

But these hires also can be viewed as a slap in the face to the coaches that we ask to do things the right way only to be effectively shunned for a glorified manager/CEO. That's why I'm cool with the criticism these hires get. But it's gonna be hard to turn down a Ed Reed when you have a program trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents
With what you have right now...yall are a strength program away from winning seasons provided your coach realizes that and gets creative.

that's why you wait and announce homecoming real late now - HBCU alums find that out early and your screwed - for schools that have no classics or natural rival that draws homecoming is the only event you have and once they find out all efforts go to that one game and that's it. And some of these slicksters will throw renegade events that have nothing to do with homecoming but they capitalize off your weekend

Again though with these celebrity hires - how will they pay off in hard cash/infrastructure and years later is the true test.

Some of these alum got more excuses than a man in jail as to why they don't give. But they will show up to homecoming in high end vehicles, designer clothes from neck to nuts and weaves to butts 😆. Blowing money on all kinds of stuff that doesn't go the HBCU directly and then ask dumb questions like why the school don't have the funds needed to be successful. Make it make sense.

That's definitely a part of it...but we cannot underestimate the role of the states that failed to provide the funding that legislation promised to us...

Please stand, raise your right hand and repeat after me, most of us took an oath similar to the oath posted below, during commencement exercises.

As an alum it is your responsibility to stay connected to your Alma Mater, whether your coach is a celebrity coaching hire or a traditional hire,

Small Talk or The Sports Board, this is real talk. 👍
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hereby solemnly pledge unbroken allegiance to my alma mater in appreciation for the opportunities afforded me at XXX XXX University.

I pledge active membership in the XXX XXX University National Alumni Association, Incorporated, wherever I may be. Through association with my fellow alumni, I shall forever do my best to uphold the ideals and traditions of my alma mater.

I pledge, as a person, to exemplify high ideals by rendering positive and dignified service to the community, the state, the nation and the world; thus living to bring honor and respect to my alma mater.

Last edited:
Personally, I do make a small annual donation to my alma mater.

But, here's another perspective:

I am a contributing alum who has applied multiple times for employment, and didn't even get an interview for jobs that I was qualified for. So...why in the hell am I donating???

I know folks in your same shoes but it ain’t the school it’s the People in the positions - people change school names don’t. Some will blame the school and shut down cause of that

But that’s a whole different topic on hookups - how good folks have been denied hbcu jobs cause the hiring folks want friends and are intimidated by them -

won’t go Any further

that's why you wait and announce homecoming real late now - HBCU alums find that out early and your screwed - for schools that have no classics or natural rival that draws homecoming is the only event you have and once they find out all efforts go to that one game and that's it. And some of these slicksters will throw renegade events that have nothing to do with homecoming but they capitalize off your weekend

Again though with these celebrity hires - how will they pay off in hard cash/infrastructure and years later is the true test.
I think celebrity hires are coaches for the short term, they will not have longevity. What if they are losers, will a university fire a celebrity hire?

Representative of poor leadership.

Lack of planning for decades is the reason we are where we are, and the celebrity coaching trend - much like the big moneygame trend where we go get our heads kicked in for crumbs by major PWC's - reflect this. The attempted quick-fix has become the way, instead of the 4 conferences coming together to figure out a better way to promote and maximize the profits from our own unique product.

We may have decent leadership at some of our schools, but there's isn't any collective vison - which is the mark of a real leader/leadership group - being advanced. It's just every HBCU out there trying to figure it out for themselves and the celebrity hire is the latest attempt at a microwave solution. I don't really count JSU and Deion in this, and I've said why before. I believe he's sincere in what he's doing and JSU was wise to take advantage. But the follow the leader trend by TSU was pretty pathetic and it'll catch up with that program down the line, just watch. That's just some lazy administrator hoping the name "Eddie George" will magically overcome in a day what's been neglected by decades by the coaching/recruiting/fundraising etc. departments. Tenn St. made a bad decision to go into the OVC and hiring the Good Lord Himself won't fix that. A&T and Hampton are gonna find that out as well. I just hope SCSU doesn't make that dumb move.

But it's actually right in tune with Black society at-large. We're a celebrity-following people, or that's what we've become. Our celebrities are our "leaders."

Last edited:

Interesting that nearly all were private institutions. I bet they are understaffed just as our public HBCUs are, so what are they doing different?
Alumni giving is key data that U.S. news uses to calculate it's annual rankings of colleges. This probably is one reason private institutions my rank slightly higher than public institutions..

Alumni Giving (3%, previously 5%)
This is the average percentage of living alumni with bachelor's degrees who gave to their school during 2017-2018 and 2018-2019. Giving measures student satisfaction and post-graduate engagement.

I must have been in one of those foul moods not to respond too much.

PVAMU is the sole beneficiary of one policy and the ACS is another I believe in wholly, unrestricted.

I thank Dr Frazier (RIH) for opening my eyes in the late-80s and haven't looked back since. Annually, afterlife, my presence is felt on campus. I ignore TOSU & HU.

Yeah, structural racism limits us in some cases but that doesn't excuse our schools from not even trying.

How many SWAC ADs are even ALLOWED to independently raise funds outside of tickets and alumni donations? Now, how many have assigned staff dedicated to athletic fundraising?

Some of this shit is our own damn fault...
But if the STATE isn't giving our schools their Federal monies to help hire these assigned staff that would be dedicated to athletic fundraising, then we are STILL behind the 8ball and MJG.

Back