Are celebrity coaching hires a reflection of poor fundraising at HBCUs?

But if the STATE isn't giving our schools their Federal monies to help hire these assigned staff that would be dedicated to athletic fundraising, then we are STILL behind the 8ball and MJG.

In more cases than not, the money is there. We just budget like we're broker than we really are...

The enslavement period robbed us of our self:
  • Knowledge
  • Worth
  • Respect
  • Love
Thus we no longer have the desire to build institutions and control/direct our communities, futures and our destiny. We depend on white folks and Jesus to deliver us.................for the most part.
Wow! I’m agreeing with a Jaguar! LOL….You’re right though. As Black Alumni of HBCU’s we should demand more accountability from our Presidents and Athletic Directors. We should know what 5-10 year plans for our universities are. Not just show up for Homecoming and our big games. Our money that supports these games and alumni associations give us the right to demand or legitimate wants to know and be involved. I can only speak for Grambling on this part. Our facilities have barely changed since I was there back in 1988. I am embarrassed when I bring my Kappa League to Grambling and they see our facilities. And as much noise I talk about The G!!!
Then we go to ULM or Louisiana and their facilities look really good and well maintained. We don’t put enough heat on our administration for them to produce a winning culture in the classroom, on the field and on the courts to attract our top notch students. Why is that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The co-chair of the campaign further explained that the alumni participate rate (APR) is often used by corporations and foundations to determine the amount of financial support to give to a college or university. This average APR for HBCUs is 11.2 percent.

“Currently, our APR is 3.8 percent. Our goal is to reach 10 percent in alumni giving by June 30, 2019. We can accomplish this by making monthly contributions to JSU,” she said. “In this way, we will display consistency and loyalty in giving and demonstrate to corporate American that JSU alumni are unequivocally vested in the future of Jackson State University.”

JSU's alumni giving percentage is currently 9.81%. 👌

In more cases than not, the money is there. We just budget like we're broker than we really are...

I learned this 3-4 years when we renovated the Devils Den without a fundraiser. From that moment on, I knew Valley is in our situation because "the powers that be" play that "we broke. Donate money. Shut up" card. Not saying we're rolling in cash either but I know we ain't that broke to at least fund scholarships (while the AD and her friends can fly to Hawaii when we played them in basketball).

Last edited:
Wow! I’m agreeing with a Jaguar! LOL….You’re right though. As Black Alumni of HBCU’s we should demand more accountability from our Presidents and Athletic Directors. We should know what 5-10 year plans for our universities are. Not just show up for Homecoming and our big games. Our money that supports these games and alumni associations give us the right to demand or legitimate wants to know and be involved. I can only speak for Grambling on this part. Our facilities have barely changed since I was there back in 1988. I am embarrassed when I bring my Kappa League to Grambling and they see our facilities. And as much noise I talk about The G!!!
Then we go to ULM or Louisiana and their facilities look really good and well maintained. We don’t put enough heat on our administration for them to produce a winning culture in the classroom, on the field and on the courts to attract our top notch students. Why is that?
You know SU and Gram are family.....so much so just look at our coaching situations. LOL...........see you in the dome.

Back