Are celebrity coaching hires a reflection of poor fundraising at HBCUs?

I bought charitable life policy about thirty years ago. Texas Southern and my Church are the beneficiaries. The distribution of the monies is stated in the beneficiary designation.

Are you giving restricted or unrestricted? I think about restricting it. For example, scholarship money for single mothers, veterans, first generation college students or all the above.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Are you giving restricted or unrestricted? I think about restricting it. For example, scholarship money for single mothers, veterans, first generation college students or all the above.
Some of it will fund a scholarship in my name and my deceased wife’s name. The scholarship criteria is included in my will. Some of it will go to Athletics. Some to The Alumni relations office and some to KTSU.

Last edited:
Hell, most HBCU Alums are too trifling to send $100/year. Ruth Simmons made it clear that the alumni giving rate (more than the amount) is key to attracting corporate dollars. why would corporations invest in something when the true stakeholders don't?
You knocked the ball out the ballpark with your response. When I saw fundraising on the subject line, I knew this thread wouldn't get many responses. I believe the majority of the posters on this board are focused only on sports talk and buffoonery, not alumni giving.

Celebrity coaching hires are mainly for name recognition. JSU has fundraisers, but the alumni participation rate is still low. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The co-chair of the campaign further explained that the alumni participate rate (APR) is often used by corporations and foundations to determine the amount of financial support to give to a college or university. This average APR for HBCUs is 11.2 percent.

“Currently, our APR is 3.8 percent. Our goal is to reach 10 percent in alumni giving by June 30, 2019. We can accomplish this by making monthly contributions to JSU,” she said. “In this way, we will display consistency and loyalty in giving and demonstrate to corporate American that JSU alumni are unequivocally vested in the future of Jackson State University.”

You knocked the ball out the ballpark with your response. When I saw fundraising on the subject line, I knew this thread wouldn't get many responses. I believe the majority of the posters on this board are focused only on sports talk and buffoonery, not alumni giving.

Celebrity coaching hires are mainly for name recognition. JSU has fundraisers, but the alumni participation rate is still low. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The co-chair of the campaign further explained that the alumni participate rate (APR) is often used by corporations and foundations to determine the amount of financial support to give to a college or university. This average APR for HBCUs is 11.2 percent.

“Currently, our APR is 3.8 percent. Our goal is to reach 10 percent in alumni giving by June 30, 2019. We can accomplish this by making monthly contributions to JSU,” she said. “In this way, we will display consistency and loyalty in giving and demonstrate to corporate American that JSU alumni are unequivocally vested in the future of Jackson State University.”

This is “The Sports Board”!

Last edited:
Sooooo is a problem also not really putting emphasis on the development offices?

Yes!!! Most of our development offices are severely understaffed, and likely to remain so due to our schools being underfunded. Adequate alumni giving can address that need though. This is another one of those scenarios where it is going to take money to make some money.

A while ago Texas A&M sought to raise four billion, and did so by hiring a 200 person sales force. Obviously, we can't do exactly what they did, but with enough alumni giving we can do something similar to scale.

Last edited:
Thank you for your contributions. I'm not sure what your post intent was but hopefully your amount and frequency can increase someday to match your rhetoric!

Yeah I'm trying to see the purpose of the post and what it has to do with the point of the thread

Hell I have raised more than that for Valley athletics in the past few months but I'm not on here patting myself on the back for it or seeking one.

Two lines I HATE to hear from HBCU alums when people are providing legit criticism about their alma mater:

1) "I bet you didn't play any sports"

2) "I bet you don't give back to your alma mater. That's why HBCUs are struggling"

Do black folks donate better at PWCs?
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There’s a huge push for Alumnus to update our directory. We’ve lost touch to well over 60% of living alums. This should help...
Yeah alumni have to do better when it comes to keeping their contact info up to date. Get mad when they don’t hear anything from the university but still got contact info from 2 phone numbers and addresses ago on file smh.

Yeah alumni have to do better when it comes to keeping their contact info up to date. Get mad when they don’t hear anything from the university but still got contact info from 2 phone numbers and addresses ago on file smh.
Preach! Alumni know where there Alma Mater is located, if they really want to donate, contact the university! ✔

Last edited:
Do black folks donate better at PWCs?
When celebrity coaching hires have a mic in their face, they should occasionally mention the university's academics and alumni giving. Discussing football is a given. ✔

PWS's Colleges Where Alumni Donate The Most

Last edited:
The sales calls from undergrads got me everytime to donate. I get a lot from George Mason. I've only gotten 1 to 2 from JSU.

Your post is a good example of the results from a lack of staffing, and the number of hats worn by one individual in our HBCU development/advancement offices. Judging from a cursory glance, George Mason is well staffed.

When celebrity coaching hires have a mic in their face, they should occasionally mention the university's academics and alumni giving. Discussing football is a given. ✔

PWS's Colleges Where Alumni Donate The Most

Interesting that nearly all were private institutions. I bet they are understaffed just as our public HBCUs are, so what are they doing different?

If someone gives you something, the appreciation level is much less than when you pay for something yourself. The primary funding source for most of our Alums is financial aid. Most of those that do not give back simply believe it is not necessary, because Governmental funding will provide everything that is needed.

Interesting that nearly all were private institutions. I bet they are understaffed just as our public HBCUs are, so what are they doing different?
Canvassing almost monthly. Howard University has an insatiable appetite for gifting, almost monthly, literally. I hear from PV if not twice a year.

Back