Are celebrity coaching hires a reflection of poor fundraising at HBCUs?

As an alum of a school with easily the worst fundraising department in the SWAC, I can say yes in some cases. JSU was solid with the fundraising before Deion but he has taken it to another level with the 9 digits in free advertising for them. Eddie George and what he means to the Titans is gonna be a gold mine for the Tigers.

But these hires also can be viewed as a slap in the face to the coaches that we ask to do things the right way only to be effectively shunned for a glorified manager/CEO. That's why I'm cool with the criticism these hires get. But it's gonna be hard to turn down a Ed Reed when you have a program trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents

Interesting question but of course HBCUs don't fundraise on the level of PWIs. I still feel we do the best with what we got.

Over 300 years of STRUCTURAL WHITE SUPREMACY and BLACK OPPRESSION have resulted in black people not having the means and power to donate to the level of our white counterparts. Most black college graduates I know are saddled with all kinds of school and non-school related debt so they can't donate like they wish ... quite the opposite for most of the white folks I know. And just look at the top 1% richest people in America, hell just look at the most expensive neighborhoods in your area .... 99.99% white and that's not a coincidence.

Also something drastic needs to happen to improve the quality of play and recruitment in HBCU football. These FCS PWIs be kicking our asses (especially w/ SWAC teams) and sign the better black players. I think celebrity black coaches may be the secret sauce to put HBCU football BACK in the spotlight.

Last edited:
Interesting question but of course HBCUs don't fundraise on the level of PWIs. I still feel we do the best with what we got.

Over 300 years of STRUCTURAL WHITE SUPREMACY and BLACK OPPRESSION have resulted in black people not having the means and power to donate to the level of our white counterparts. Most black college graduates I know are saddled with all kinds of school and non-school related debt so they can't donate like they wish ... quite the opposite for most of the white folks I know. And just look at the top 1% richest people in America, hell just look at the most expensive neighborhoods in your area .... 99.99% white and that's not a coincidence.

Also something drastic needs to happen to improve the quality of play and recruitment in HBCU football. These FCS PWIs be kicking our asses (especially w/ SWAC teams) and sign the better black players. I think celebrity black coaches may be the secret sauce to put HBCU football BACK in the spotlight.

Yeah, structural racism limits us in some cases but that doesn't excuse our schools from not even trying.

How many SWAC ADs are even ALLOWED to independently raise funds outside of tickets and alumni donations? Now, how many have assigned staff dedicated to athletic fundraising?

Some of this shit is our own damn fault...

Yeah, structural racism limits us in some cases but that doesn't excuse our schools from not even trying.

How many SWAC ADs are even ALLOWED to independently raise funds outside of tickets and alumni donations? Now, how many have assigned staff dedicated to athletic fundraising?

Black folks spend what they want to spend on. We have no problems spending cash at Pappadeauxs, going to bars 3 night a week or driving nice cars. Y’all lying if you don’t as Facebook don’t lie.

Our problem is we don’t value our institutions like we do other places - let’s be honest. We’re competing with church, Greek orgs, child’s education, the mortgage and etc. and our schools get out last while the PWC alum puts it damn near first

If we can get just some of the money we’ve put in the pockets of restaurant, Greek organizations and club owners we could change things quickly

Not all but SOME

They do try. Every HBCU has at least one major fundraising event and never heard of any HBCU returning fundraising dollars

I am writing this in admiration for Mississippi blacks sacrifices for all blacks in America. After watching the news on the water situation and poverty level in Jackson, I believe that Deion’s hiring will not only help the university but also the surrounding black community. There is no way the 4-5 star athletes from Florida would even consider JSU without coach Prime. This is a good thing which will put a bright light on Jackson and the state. The perception of state of Mississippi is not good and not deserved. I believe HBCU’s fans should be happy for great publicity and positive light it sheds on Jackson State.
If I have wrong perception, I am sure I will be corrected.

Black folks spend what they want to spend on. We have no problems spending cash at Pappadeauxs, going to bars 3 night a week or driving nice cars. Y’all lying if you don’t as Facebook don’t lie.

Our problem is we don’t value our institutions like we do other places - let’s be honest. We’re competing with church, Greek orgs, child’s education, the mortgage and etc. and our schools get out last while the PWC alum puts it damn near first

If we can get just some of the money we’ve put in the pockets of restaurant, Greek organizations and club owners we could change things quickly

Not all but SOME

See I'm not talking about alumni donations. That's damn near a lost cause and low impact. I'm talking about going after local business and corporate dollars.

black folks will look for every excuse not to give to our institutions but ask questions like why don’t we have XYZ like this school or that school?

As far as corporate dollars go the name of the game is relationships and network. Some of schools may have the fundraisers that doesn’t mean they have a connection that’ll get them in front of major corporations.

i’ll NCCU for example, I’d dare say there isn’t another HBCU in close proximity to as many Fortune 500 companies as we are being an exit away from the RTP. We should be bringing in all kinds of corporate dollars.

If you do not have the Alumni dollars, you will not get the corporate dollars. If every HBCU Alum sent sent a minimum of 500.00 a year back to their school, it would change everything.

Hell, most HBCU Alums are too trifling to send $100/year. Ruth Simmons made it clear that the alumni giving rate (more than the amount) is key to attracting corporate dollars. why would corporations invest in something when the true stakeholders don't?

The cycle of ignorance and lack of support has to stop at some point. I wonder who manages the stock portfolio for our respective schools or do they even have internal personnel that perform that function. To encourage giving, we should tie homecoming and weekly game discounts/perks to those individuals that sign up for an annual giving program. Even if it's 50.00-100.00 a year, that would help build toward compound interest if managed correctly!

No, in my opinion, those hires were made because those institutions saw value in choosing that path. Coastal Carolina did something somewhat similar ten years ago when they hired an unqualified coach, on paper, because of his wealth. They saw the value in hiring a billionaire to fund the things they could not fund on their own. The result has been four Big South Championships, multiple FCS playoff wins and progression to the FBS.

Poor fundraising at our HBCUs is directly tied to the permanence of underfunding from state government, a black economy that is not on par with the larger white economy and paltry alumni giving. The first two we have limited control over, but there is no real excuse for the last one.
For whatever reason, many of our alums have a hard time understanding how much of a difference giving back matters. What a shame, because if we don't ever get it more HBCUs will close doors permanently down the road.

Make no mistake about it, the overall answer to the poor fundraising question is corporate dollars. To get after that money and achieve adequate results require an adequately staffed development office which few HBCUs have, but could definitely have if our alumni would simply give back.

Last edited:
I am writing this in admiration for Mississippi blacks sacrifices for all blacks in America. After watching the news on the water situation and poverty level in Jackson, I believe that Deion’s hiring will not only help the university but also the surrounding black community. There is no way the 4-5 star athletes from Florida would even consider JSU without coach Prime. This is a good thing which will put a bright light on Jackson and the state. The perception of state of Mississippi is not good and not deserved. I believe HBCU’s fans should be happy for great publicity and positive light it sheds on Jackson State.
If I have wrong perception, I am sure I will be corrected

Mississppi does deserve the reputation it has. The state Republican leaders have drove it to the ground and have effectively stopped black and Democratic leaders from doing anything substantial to make it better. 90% of the white people in Mississippi vote Republican (the racist party).

The enslavement period robbed us of our self:
  • Knowledge
  • Worth
  • Respect
  • Love
Thus we no longer have the desire to build institutions and control/direct our communities, futures and our destiny. We depend on white folks and Jesus to deliver us.................for the most part.

Back