Alcorn State picked to represent SWAC in 2017

it's our time now

giphy.gif

Main, you all barely squeaked by TSU last year running the pistol with no real QB. 23-20

With things all even the fourth quarter was a hardly fought stanza by both teams. The Braves went ahead for good with 13:34 remaining in the quarter on a two-yard TD run after a blocked punt.

Texas Southern would tack on another field goal by Medina with 5:14 left to play. The Tigers defense would get TSU's offense one final possession after forcing Alcorn State to punt the ball on their ensuing possession.

Texas Southern moved the ball down to the Alcorn State 46 yard with a fresh set of downs. After a 1-yard rush to start the drive inside Alcorn State territory, Hurts was forced into throwing three consecutive incompletions effectively ending the Tigers scoring threat while sealing the game in favor of Alcorn State.

For the game Texas Southern rushed the ball for 116 yards while passing for 219 yards good for 335 yards of total offense. Defensively Texas Southern played well as Alcorn State was limited by the Tigers to just 64 yards on the ground and 213 yards passing (277 total yards).

This years defense will be better than last and TSU has more than one QB ready the play. I can't wait for the SWAC to get a full dose of Jay Chris...Tell'em bout him pv..
That blocked punt in the 4th saved Alcorn's backside.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Main, you all barely squeaked by TSU last year running the pistol with no real QB. 23-20

With things all even the fourth quarter was a hardly fought stanza by both teams. The Braves went ahead for good with 13:34 remaining in the quarter on a two-yard TD run after a blocked punt.

Texas Southern would tack on another field goal by Medina with 5:14 left to play. The Tigers defense would get TSU's offense one final possession after forcing Alcorn State to punt the ball on their ensuing possession.

Texas Southern moved the ball down to the Alcorn State 46 yard with a fresh set of downs. After a 1-yard rush to start the drive inside Alcorn State territory, Hurts was forced into throwing three consecutive incompletions effectively ending the Tigers scoring threat while sealing the game in favor of Alcorn State.

For the game Texas Southern rushed the ball for 116 yards while passing for 219 yards good for 335 yards of total offense. Defensively Texas Southern played well as Alcorn State was limited by the Tigers to just 64 yards on the ground and 213 yards passing (277 total yards).

This years defense will be better than last and TSU has more than one QB ready the play. I can't wait for the SWAC to get a full dose of Jay Chris...Tell'em bout him pv..
That blocked punt in the 4th saved Alcorn's backside.

I do feel TXSU will have a good squad this year. You all played us very tough, however our game doesn't count this year.

The true Swac Championship is Southern and Grambling. Whoever wins dat game will win the conference.
The SWAC West is going to be more competitive than you think. The only chance the east has is if the west beat the crap out of each other and the winner of the west hobbles into the championship.

I do feel TXSU will have a good squad this year. You all played us very tough, however our game doesn't count this year.
Doesn't count in the SWAC standing but it counts as a solid measuring stick to where TSU is in team growth and development.
Should be an exciting match up I look forward to this season. SWAC football is improving almost across the board like many wanted. I hate the 7 game mandate, because I know someone is going to get royally screwed in the next couple of years. Championships should be decided on the field of play not by the flip of a coin.

I'll believe it wen I c it.
You already saw it. If you didn't it's because you didn't want to. su's supposedly high powered offense really didn't do much vs. TSU's defense last year. TSU held your offense to 26 when you were scoring 40+ in SWAC games and just over 400 yards when you were averaging around 550 yards in conference play. Further you only reached that 26 because of TSU mistakes. TSU had a QB that just threw the ball up for grabs. I know injury happens, but I believe the 2016 season would have been different had QB 1 not gone down for the season in game 1 vs pv. TSU's replacement QB last year gave away a lot of points including those scored by su.

In case you forgot her are some of the game notes from the AP:
BATON ROUGE, La. -- Lenard Tillery rushed for 125 yards and a touchdown and Southern University converted two interceptions into scoring drives to beat Texas Southern 26-10 on Saturday.

Tillery scored on a 3-yard run and Herbert Edwards scored on a 1-yard run after Treveon Epps picked off a second-quarter pass by Averion Hurts to lift the Jaguars (7-2, 7-0 Southwestern Athletic) to a 14-7 halftime lead.

Danny Johnson picked off a pass by Hurts in the fourth quarter, setting up Ruan Albuquerque's first of two 28-yard field goals. Roshaud Turnerintercepted Hurts, leading to a score and 23-10 lead after Jeremias Houstonrecovered Tillery's fumble in the end zone.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400873147

Doesn't count in the SWAC standing but it counts as a solid measuring stick to where TSU is in team growth and development.
Should be an exciting match up I look forward to this season. SWAC football is improving almost across the board like many wanted. I hate the 7 game mandate, because I know someone is going to get royally screwed in the next couple of years. Championships should be decided on the field of play not by the flip of a coin.

I concur

You already saw it. If you didn't it's because you didn't want to. su's supposedly high powered offense really didn't do much vs. TSU's defense last year. TSU held your offense to 26 when you were scoring 40+ in SWAC games and just over 400 yards when you were averaging around 550 yards in conference play. Further you only reached that 26 because of TSU mistakes. TSU had a QB that just threw the ball up for grabs. I know injury happens, but I believe the 2016 season would have been different had QB 1 not gone down for the season in game 1 vs pv. TSU's replacement QB last year gave away a lot of points including those scored by su.

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Lenard Tillery rushed for 125 yards and a touchdown and Southern University converted two interceptions into scoring drives to beat Texas Southern 26-10 on Saturday.

Tillery scored on a 3-yard run and Herbert Edwards scored on a 1-yard run after Treveon Epps picked off a second-quarter pass by Averion Hurts to lift the Jaguars (7-2, 7-0 Southwestern Athletic) to a 14-7 halftime lead.

Danny Johnson picked off a pass by Hurts in the fourth quarter, setting up Ruan Albuquerque's first of two 28-yard field goals. Roshaud Turnerintercepted Hurts, leading to a score and 23-10 lead after Jeremias Houstonrecovered Tillery's fumble in the end zone.

Like I said I'll believe it wen I c it. Y'all need an offense to do damage in dis league, yea y'all have a defense but wit the lack of offense y'all have yo team will wear the defense out. Remember the Grambling game?

I said in previous threads that TSU will be our hardest game. They really laid the hat on us. I was at that game and our starters didn't play well at all. The number 2's won that game for us.

Offense was stagnant at times, physical play was matched that game by yall. I think we will be better prepared for yall this year.

We dayum near could have lost that game.

Look, if I had to pick the EAST rep and publish it, I would go with Alcorn but in reality, the drop we saw last year will continue. Grambling was not really that impressive at the end of the year. Maybe they had injuries or they got figured but they better watch their back. I don't think TxSo will challenge for the crown but they will def cause an upset or two.

What's not impressive about losing 1 game and winning the Celebration Bowl?

Please define impressive without referring to JSU.

Believe it, y'all barely won so you can kill that. TE hadn't dropped those two tds and y'all would be crying a river again!

Here we go with the Ifs.....There are number of Ifs in that same game that if we would have executed we would have blown yall out. So stop with the Ifs....

The best team won. Both teams made mistakes. GSU was clearly the better team. If GSU would not have fumble the ball in the first quarter, the game would not have been close. If Alcorn was better team, they would not have blown a 17 point lead.

until someone beats them its gram's championship to lose.

Voices of reason and logic.

Adjustments. Our coaching staff over the entire part of last season made adjustments after half time. If you don't believe it check out all of our scores at halftime.

Jackson State - 21-0 We were winning final score 35-14
Alcon 16-8 We were winning; final scoree 43 -18
PV 16-16; final score 36-16
Valley does not count
UAPB does not count
AAMU does not count
Alabama state 14-0; final score 21-0 (to me we played our worst mental game)
Texas Southern 33-28 we were winning; final score 47-28
Southern 17-13 we were winning; final score 52-30 (we never kicked to that little fast sucker LOL)
Alcorn State - 17-0 at halftime we were losing; final score 27-20
NCCU 3-0 we were winning; of course you know the outcome

So tell me....did we make adjustments or did every team that were leading us at halftime just fuck up. Since we are the champions we are allowed the belief that we made adjustments.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think that's where Odoms need to improve, making adjustments.

For the past 2 years, he's never really out-coached anybody in the 2nd Half after they took away our options. (See GSU both 2015 & 2016)

I think this is the slight edge that GSU has over us right now, their ability to out-coach us in the 2nd half. (no smack) but they were never the better team in either year, but their 2nd half adjustments on the defense side of the ball pushed them to the W.

Once Odoms add that part into his game, SU should win the next 4-5 ships.

2nd Half adjustments will make or break us this year.

For the past 2 years, he's never really out-coached anybody in the 2nd Half after they took away our options. (See GSU both 2015 & 2016)

I think this is the slight edge that GSU has over us right now, their ability to out-coach us in the 2nd half. (no smack) but they were never the better team in either year, but their 2nd half adjustments on the defense side of the ball pushed them to the W.

Your right!! Grambling threw the book at us last year. Coach O didn't adjust. If u watched Grambling all last year dey we're holding back plays all season long. But wen dey played us in the classic it was no holding back. Like I told people before, "Y u think the championship and the CB bowl were so close?" Because Grambling showed there hand in the classic. Once Alcorn and NC Central saw wat dey we're doing those teams adjusted and made it a ball game.

Man, please y'all ain scare nobody. Just tell your coach to stoping writing checks his team can't cash..

when you losing for THREE quarters, you need to be scared. and you had all your players back then. Then your new staff cant recruit so you didn't replace your seniors lost adequately. ..and dont forget, your QB still cant throw.

Your right!! Grambling threw the book at us last year. Coach O didn't adjust. If u watched
Grambling all last year dey we're holding back plays all season long. But wen dey played us in the classic it was no holding back. Like I told people before, "Y u think the championship and the CB bowl were so close?" Because Grambling showed there hand in the classic. Once Alcorn and NC Central saw wat dey we're doing those teams adjusted and made it a ball game.

how about out of SU, Alcorn and NCCU, SU just had the weakest defense.

See these are the statements I'm talking about...how does a team score 35 points to your 17 in the second half and not be the better team?

Case in Point: Coaches told Jonathan not to kick to that little fact sucker. Jonathan did not kick to him. SU tried switching him up and it still didn't work. Coaches coach...players have to execute. Hence the better team is a team with good coaches and players that execute.

There is no such thing as a half better team....

Your right!! Grambling threw the book at us last year. Coach O didn't adjust. If u watched Grambling all last year dey we're holding back plays all season long. But wen dey played us in the classic it was no holding back. Like I told people before, "Y u think the championship and the CB bowl were so close?" Because Grambling showed there hand in the classic. Once Alcorn and NC Central saw wat dey we're doing those teams adjusted and made it a ball game.

Yet, in those two final games our coaches STILL made adjustments and our players EXECUTED!!!

Good Coaches + Execution of Plays by Players = Good Team

Yet, in those two final games our coaches STILL made adjustments and our players EXECUTED!!!

Good Coaches + Execution of Plays by Players = Good Team
Never said y'all didn't execute nor did I say your team was bad, all I said y'all peeled back on offense all year until y'all played us. I also said dat y'all opened y'all hand wen yo team played us, dats y the last 2 games were close because y'all opened the book against in the classic.

Back