Alcorn Claims "The Real Story behind "Who Dat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Who Dat started Diz? Who knows?

NFL...crazy.. We used to say Who Dat at the basketball games in the late 70's and early 80'S

We all agree the Saints didn't start the Who Dat? chant. I'd like to know where was the NFL when the Saints were losing and the die hard Saints fans were wearing Who Dat? shirts? This is all about a money grab. I guess if Cowboy fans created "How Bout Dem' Cowboys" shirts they'd come after that too.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

I have a baby picture of me from 1973 where I'm wearing a "Who Dat" Houston Oilers t-shirt on. :D

:rolleyes:

My condolences, I didn't no Casem reached senility....He was a good AD and enjoyed food...

:lol: :emlaugh:

Just another example of the media and people outside the African American community taking or capitalizing on our culture. But like the Law professor said in one of the clips posted.that you cannot trademark or copyright a general phrase. But in the 80's who outside the African American in Mississippi and Louisiana community ever heard of the "Who Dat" chant? Whoever was doing the checking and verification of the phrase Who Dat..thought it is was original. So they granted some parties the trademark. I would take the NFL or the Saints to court where they have to show that there was a series of trial and error by there marketing that they were trying to create a chant for Saints fans,they should show with documented dates were they instructed Saints fans to say: Who dat...Who Dat... Who dat talkin bout beat dem Saints. They won't be able to prove it. lol

Last edited:
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/01/post_140.html

Count the National Football League among the growing members of Who Dat Nation. After all, they own the phrase -- or so they say in cease and desist letters sent out to at least two local T-shirt retailers earlier this month.

In letters sent to Fleurty Girl and Storyville, the NFL ordered the retailers to stop selling a host of merchandise that it says violates state and federal trademarks held by the New Orleans Saints.

Among the long list of things the NFL says is off-limits without a licensing agreement are some obvious violations like the official logo of the Saints and the team's name. But the one that stands out is "Who Dat."

Before it became a rallying cry of fans of the New Orleans Saints, Who Dat was used as a cheer by St. Augustine High School. And before that it was perhaps first heard in minstrel shows in the later 1800s

Don't believe me. Ask The Godfather. He would be the venerable Marino Casem, the College Hall of Farmer who for many years coached football and was athletic director at Alcorn State University in Lorman before retiring in Baton Rouge, where he now enjoys the New Orleans Who Dats.
He doesn't begrudge the Saints, but he knows that long before recording star Aaron Neville helped popularize "Who Dat?" as a Saints cheer in 1981, Alcorn fans were chanting it about the purple and gold Braves.
"Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat say dey gonna beat dem Braves, Who Dat, Who Dat?"

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100129/NEWS/1290347/Who+Dat+started+Diz?+Who+knows?

This guy needs to check his sources, the Saints didn't start using Who Dat til 1983 when Aaron Neville recorded the Who Dat song.

Sounds as if columnist Rick Cleveland got his idea for his article from TSPNsports.com

No one will never find out who started Who Dat! I'm sure it was a street turn that flowed into the schools and not one school.:noidea:

People can sit here and argue about who started it all they want to, but what everyone seems to be missing is the simple fact it began in the black community and like all cultural folklore or just simple sayings it wasn't relegated to just one area.

Having said that and having enough sanity to understand the above statement is more then likely accurate because history has proven that to be the case over and over again, anyone trying to take credit for the saying making it's way to the Saints other then by the locals are simply full of isht.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Just goes to show how the Saints done took the NFL by Storm.

Have a winning season, start chanting some old time jargon, let the NFL steal the rights to the phrase, and have everybody make claims as to where it originated.

It's a serious domino effect. If the Saints were having a typical Saint season, NONE of this would be relevant now...lol.

~Still lol @ the NFL claiming the rights to the phrase~

I hope the Texans wreck shop next season, so we can bring back some more old time jargon with our winning momentum. Then we can do it all over again...LOL

Speaking of, what will be the next old school jargon the NFL tries to steal...err...claim? Any ideas?

I was in junior high school in 1976. We were saying it then........
You must have gone forward in time to New Orleans and heard it from the advanced folk of New Orleans, and took it back to your people in the Sip.

I was chanting it in '76 myself.

People can sit here and argue about who started it all they want to, but what everyone seems to be missing is the simple fact it began in the black community and like all cultural folklore or just simple sayings it wasn't relegated to just one area.

Having said that and having enough sanity to understand the above statement is more then likely accurate because history has proven that to be the case over and over again, anyone trying to take credit for the saying making it's way to the Saints other then by the locals are simply full of isht.
Damn blue. You went from SU started Who Dat to that up yonder??? So, now all black folk probably said it, but we crazy if someone other than a New Orleans resident claims to have put the Saints on it???

I coulda sworn this was all about who started it period???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back