Alcorn Claims "The Real Story behind "Who Dat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
last time for the insanely dense population.

The "Who Dat?" cheer

"Who Dat" became part of a chant for fans cheering on their favorite team. It has been debated exactly where it started, but some claim it began with Southern University fans either in the late 1960s or early 1970s and went "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Jags" - Southern University being nicknamed the Jaguars.[2] Another claim is that around the same time it began at St. Augustine High School, a historically African-American all boys Catholic high school in New Orleans, and then spread to the New Orleans Public Schools. Another claim is that the cheer originated at Patterson High School in Patterson, Louisiana (home of Saints running back Dalton Hilliard).[1] In the late 70's fans at Louisiana State University picked up on the cheer. By 1983, the New Orleans Saints organization adopted it during the tenure of coach Bum Phillips, and Aaron Neville (along with local musicians Sal and Steve Monistere and Carlo Nuccio) recorded a version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" that incorporated the chant (performed by a group of Saints players) that became a major local hit, due in part to the support of sportscaster Ron Swoboda.[1]
In 1981, the Cincinnati Bengals fans and players had started with their similar "Who Dey" cheer.[3] It was also adopted by wrestling fans of the Junkyard Dog, who wrestled locally in the Mid South Wrestling area in the early to mid 1980s.[citation needed]
After the Saints won the 2009-2010 NFC Championship against the Minnesota Vikings in the Superdome, fans from all across New Orleans, including fans who were exiting the game, started a Mardi Gras style "Who Dat" on Bourbon Street with modified lyrics, chanting,"Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat in the Super Bowl!" This of course being because the New Orleans Saints were advancing to the Super Bowl for the first time ever in their (at the time) 43 year history.[4][5] SOURCE
Are those CLAIMS supposed to be the truth bluedog??? C'mon mane, I know you can do better than that. Hell, my granddaddy claimed he dug the Mississippi River by himself. I guess that was true, too.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Are those CLAIMS supposed to be the truth bluedog??? C'mon mane, I know you can do better than that. Hell, my granddaddy claimed he dug the Mississippi River by himself. I guess that was true, too.

Must have been the Mississippi side, cuz my granddaddy said him and his lil brother dug the Louisiana side. :lol:

I'm hoping THIS was not his secret weapon! :lmao:

No actually this is more believable

Hell you might as well too buck, anytime a suppose professional wants us to believe that a chant that died started back in the 60's in the backwoods of Miss. became a rallying cry for a professional team in New Orleans, simply because they just one day said, "Hey y'all... don't you remember that Ole Negro chant they use to do at Alcorn in the 60's? Let's make that ours, since it's 1985 nobody will know any better. "

What's really sad about this whole nonsesne is that everybod and the mother on this board has always associated that`chant with SU and south south louisiana (New Orleans/Saints) and get honsetly say that they remember anything different, but now some of these fools actually buying into that bullisht legend.

I guess next since some of your school try to play second line music somebody is going to come up with a bullisht legend that they brought that to New Orleans along with Fillet Gumbo and Creole Red Beans.

Last edited:
No actually this is more believable

What's really sad about this whole nonsesne is that everybod and the mother on this board has always associated that`chant with SU and south south louisiana (New Orleans/Saints) and get honsetly say that they remember anything different, but now some of these fools actually buying into that bullisht legend.

I guess next since some of your school try to play second line music somebody is going to come up with a bullisht legend that they brought that to New Orleans along with Fillet Gumbo and Creole Red Beans.
You mean everybody and their mama from Louisiana always thought that??? I watched my older brother's baseball team chant Who That/Dat after every win (and they rarely lost). And guys before him talked about doing it. And them folk hadn't been anywhere near SU.

It's one thing to believe something. It's quite another to know something. Just because a bunch of Louisianans or Mississippians believe something don't make it true.

You mean everybody and their mama from Louisiana always thought that??? I watched my older brother's baseball team chant Who That/Dat after every win (and they rarely lost). And guys before him talked about doing it. And them folk hadn't been anywhere near SU.

It's one thing to believe something. It's quite another to know something. Just because a bunch of Louisianans or Mississippians believe something don't make it true.

We say SU but also have the sense that it was more than likely brought to SU from New Orleans kids (St.Aug) and other public school New Orleans cats..

So your brother and dem ain't never been no where New Orleans too as kids huh?

Trust .. EVERYbody that were doing something HIP in Mississippi been to NEW ORLEANS atleast ONCE!!!

I still remember in 2005 going to my little brother graduation from AMITE HIGH out in Mississippi... Them kids were turned OUT by what they saw here in New Orleans... Girls with golds ALL in their mouth.. Tats EVERYWHERE on their bodies...
Kid saying.. "Ya Heard me"... "How ya luv dat"...etc...

:lol:

Trust .. EVERYbody that were doing something HIP in Mississippi been to NEW ORLEANS atleast ONCE!!!

uuum, a WHOLE lot of MS people have not been to New Orleans.
2005, huh?

:smh:

Bluedog, PLEASE tell us what YOU know dude...otherwise, we sticking with Alcorn on dis hea (now who started that?.

uuum, a WHOLE lot of MS people have not been to New Orleans.
2005, huh?

:smh:

Bluedog, PLEASE tell us what YOU know dude...otherwise, we sticking with Alcorn on dis hea (now who started that?.

I ain't say everybody dumbass.. Everybody that you country folk thought were HIP in Mississippi had some kind of ties to New Orleans.... I'll bet anything on that....:lol:

Because YOU heard folk in Mississippi saying something and YOU ain't never been to New Orleans don't mean they didn't PICK it up from New Orleans...

Since when have Lorman been a more popular place to vist than New Orleans..

TP you really can't be this slow...:shame:

J...give it up......you and nobody else that was born after the 'Birth of the Nation' know EXACTLY where that came from...:lol:

J...give it up......you and nobody else that was born after the 'Birth of the Nation' know EXACTLY where that came from...:lol:

What you talking.. cats in Lorman ain't start smoking Kool's Filter Kings until they came down to Mardi Gras....

Seems like the NFL owns the saying WHO DAT!

<object height="210" width="330"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=82841572" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=82841572" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="210" wmode="transparent" width="330"></embed></object>

I think "Who Dat" was during the Old Testament.

When God took the seventh day for rest, the sky was was already Blue and the SUn Gold. Hence, Southern U and "Who Dat" was a part of Genesis. PBS Pinchback and his com-padres established a charter for the Jaguar Nation in the late 1800's shortly after the Pharaoh in the New World was forced to free the contemporary children of Israel and the rest is history! :lol: :emlaugh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Seems like the NFL owns the saying WHO DAT!

<object height="210" width="330"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=82841572" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=82841572" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="210" wmode="transparent" width="330"></embed></object>

Who dat gives a fcuk? ... Maybe the white folks who making money off of it. We been ripped off again.

whodat1_small.gif

Hey JRock,

You may be right. I can see your great,great, great Grandpappy the old Rev. JRock preaching now...

Who Dat Say Chicken In dis Crowd, 1898

There was once a great assemblage of the cullud population,
all the cullud swells was there,
They had got them-selves together to discuss the situation
and rumours in the air.
There were speakers there from Georgia and some from Tennessee,
who were making feather fly,
When a roostah in the bahn-ya'd flew up what folks could see,
Then those darkies all did cry.
Chorus: Who dat say chicken in dis crowd?
Speak de word agin' and speak it loud--
Blame de lan' let white folks rule it,
I'se a lookin fu a pullet,
Who dat say chicken is dis crowd.

A famous culled preacher told his listnin' congregation,
all about de way to ac',
Ef dey want to be respected and become a mighty nation
to be hones' Fu' a fac'.
Dey mus nebber lie, no nebber, an' mus' not be caught a-stealin'
any pullets fun de lin',
But an aged deacon got up an' his voice it shook wif feelin',
As dese words he said to him.
What's de use of all dis talkin',
Let me hyeah a hen a sqauwkin'
Who dat say chicken in dis crowd.

link...
http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/dunbar/libretto/Who_Dat_Say_Chicken_In_Dis_Crowd2.html

Thus "Who Dat" and the mighty nation "Jaguar Nation" was born ... and the rest as they say is history.:D

Who dat gives a fcuk? ... Maybe the white folks who making money off of it. We been ripped off again.

whodat1_small.gif

Hey JRock,

You may be right. I can see your great,great, great Grandpappy the old Rev. JRock preaching now...

Who Dat Say Chicken In dis Crowd, 1898

There was once a great assemblage of the cullud population,
all the cullud swells was there,
They had got them-selves together to discuss the situation
and rumours in the air.
There were speakers there from Georgia and some from Tennessee,
who were making feather fly,
When a roostah in the bahn-ya'd flew up what folks could see,
Then those darkies all did cry.
Blame de lan' let white folks rule it,
I'se a lookin fu a pullet,
Who dat say chicken is dis crowd.

A famous culled preacher told his listnin' congregation,
all about de way to ac',
Ef dey want to be respected and become a mighty nation
to be hones' Fu' a fac'.
Dey mus nebber lie, no nebber, an' mus' not be caught a-stealin'
any pullets fun de lin',
But an aged deacon got up an' his voice it shook wif feelin',
As dese words he said to him.
What's de use of all dis talkin',
Let me hyeah a hen a sqauwkin'
Who dat say chicken in dis crowd.

link...
http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/dunbar/libretto/Who_Dat_Say_Chicken_In_Dis_Crowd2.html

Thus "Who Dat" and the mighty nation "Jaguar Nation" was born ... and the rest as they say is history.:D

Since I attended Paul Lawarence Dunbar Elementary School here in New Orleans.... I say "WHO DAT" came from New Orleans..

:)

So, where did it originate??? Can you offers something other than your word???

got this info from a New Orleans message board

Alcorn State University year books from the 70's and early 80's you will see "Who Dat Talking Bout Beating those Braves." Check the basketball section of those year books. Any basketball fans from around the SWAC knows that Alcorn had patented that slogan with great winning basketball teams that dominated late 70's and early 80's. Documented proof. Who Dat talking?

I know Brett Favre said WHO DAT!!! in the NFC championship game. Here's the proof:

farveontheground.jpg

Who Dat started Diz? Who knows?

Who Dat started Diz? Who knows?

rick cleveland • rcleveland@clarionledger.com • January 29, 2010

The one thing we do know, for certain: It wasn't the New Orleans Saints.

Nevertheless, several New Orleans businesses that sell Who Dat? T-shirts have been served cease-and-desist orders from the National Football League.

With the Saints preparing to play in their first Super Bowl on Feb. 7 in Miami, against the Indianapolis Colts, Saints' fever is rampant in the Crescent City.

Any merchandise bearing the Saints' brand, or a Who Dat? motif, is a hot seller.

But the NFL believes it has the rights to the term: Who Dat?, even though the term has been around since long, long before Saints fans started cheering "Who Dat?" in the early 1980s.

Don't believe me. Ask The Godfather. He would be the venerable Marino Casem, the College Hall of Farmer who for many years coached football and was athletic director at Alcorn State University in Lorman before retiring in Baton Rouge, where he now enjoys the New Orleans Who Dats.

He doesn't begrudge the Saints, but he knows that long before recording star Aaron Neville helped popularize "Who Dat?" as a Saints cheer in 1981, Alcorn fans were chanting it about the purple and gold Braves.

"Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat say dey gonna beat dem Braves, Who Dat, Who Dat?"

Anybody who was in Humphrey Coliseum in Starkville that historical night in March of 1979 can attest. Alcorn State (28-0) defeated Mississippi State University 80-78 on Larry Smith's basket at the buzzer. And the chant rained down from the nosebleed sections at The Hump.

"Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat think dey gonna beat dem Braves, Who Dat, Who Dat?"

It goes back before that even. One of my last assignments at The Hattiesburg American was to cover an Alcorn-Jackson State basketball game in Mississippi Coliseum. Both the famous Short brothers, Eugene and Purvis, played for Jackson State. But Davey Whitney, the Alcorn State Hall of Fame coach, put on a full-court press that night and JSU trailed 48-13 before it knew what had happened. The Tigers came back and made it close, but they didn't answer the question.

Entire Article

<object height="210" width="330"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=83000932" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=83000932" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="210" wmode="transparent" width="330"></embed></object>

Don't believe me. Ask The Godfather. He would be the venerable Marino Casem, the College Hall of Farmer who for many years coached football and was athletic director at Alcorn State University in Lorman before retiring in Baton Rouge, where he now enjoys the New Orleans Who Dats.
He doesn't begrudge the Saints, but he knows that long before recording star Aaron Neville helped popularize "Who Dat?" as a Saints cheer in 1981, Alcorn fans were chanting it about the purple and gold Braves.
"Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat say dey gonna beat dem Braves, Who Dat, Who Dat?"

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100129/NEWS/1290347/Who+Dat+started+Diz?+Who+knows?

Re: Who Dat started Diz? Who knows?

Apparently so.........:lol:

:smh: at the same time......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back