Alcorn Claims "The Real Story behind "Who Dat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

THAMES

I do know LSU stole it from them in basketball.

Who Dat Talkn Bout Beating Dhem Saints and Braves? Who Dat?
Published on January 14, 2010 by Dave Washington in Football

The real story behind “Who Datâ€

Thursday, January 14, 2010

“Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints/Braves – Who Dat†Uncle Dave’s Adventures

By Dave Washington, Jr., Sports Editor

Hold on, wait just a minute before you start yelling and screaming that I am being sacrilegious in using the Saints and Alcorn State Braves in the same sentence. As always there is a method to my madness. The reason dates back to the late 60’s when the then Alcorn A&M College football Braves made South Western Athletic Conference and National Black college history. The “Original Dream Team†which the 18-1-1 Mythical Black College Championship team of 1968-69 became known as, defeated the Florida A&M College Rattlers 36-9, in the Orange Blossom Classic, Black National Championship Game. The two seasons 68 and 69 put Alcorn on the map. Those seasons produced many first that have been loss to history only to be reinvented and packaged as original today.

Read more in Football
»Little known factoids from the annals of Alcorn history:

“Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Bravesâ€- This chant coined originally on the reservation during the 68-69 championship years was the battle cry of faithful Alcorn fans and alumni for years. A certain NFL team found its way a few miles south in the neighboring city of New Orleans and became known as the Saints. Many years passed until the idea of a winning team in New Orleans became a present reality. Now the following narrative is only conjecture; faithful Alcorn fans years removed from the sixties and the Dream Team era longed to cheer and shout that fabled Alcorn chant “Who Dat Talkn’Bout Beating Dhem Braves – Who Datâ€. These fans found themselves in the Dome unconsciously yelling and screaming with the fervor of by gone years “Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints – Who Datâ€. Now with visions of a perfect season dashed and visions of a Super Bowl dancing in their heads the fans, management and the team of New Orleans have laid claims to “Who Datâ€. Should the Saints continue their triumphant march to the Super Bowl and face an undefeated Indianapolis Colts and Payton Manning and after four quarters of play find themselves World Champions and the chant goes out “Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints – Who Datâ€, be reminded of the original dream team. Just maybe a little of the residual of “Who Dat†of forty years ago will still be around for the Saints today.

It was rumored that a former All Pro NFL member of the Original Dream Team presented the current ASU football team a picture plaque of the championship ring prior to the Capitol City Classic with words of encouragement. Maybe the residual works Alcorn 14 Jackson State 7.

Like many great inventions, ideas and slogans that have gone unpatented, not trademarked nor a copy write granted, so goes “Who Datâ€. Others from Alcorn’s history include:......... (Golden Girls)

link...
http://sportales.com/football/who-dat-talkn-bout-beating-dhem-saints-and-braves-who-dat/

Alcorn started WHO DAT??......

Interesting lil piece...

Hold on, wait just a minute before you start yelling and screaming that I am being sacrilegious in using the Saints and Alcorn State Braves in the same sentence. As always there is a method to my madness. The reason dates back to the late 60’s when the then Alcorn A&M College football Braves made South Western Athletic Conference and National Black college history........

http://sportales.com/football/who-dat-talkn-bout-beating-dhem-saints-and-braves-who-dat/

Re: Alcorn started WHO DAT??......

All of you all are lying......."Who dat" came straight from Southern U.! :lol: :emlaugh:

Well it must be true because we saying it back in the late 70's @ basketball games. New Orleans at the time was pitiful in football. :lol:

Re: Alcorn started WHO DAT??......

That chant may have gotten media recognition at Alcorn or SU, but it didn't originate from either. Folk were chanting it well before then in my little ole hometown, and who knows when and who they got it from.

At least Alcorn can cite some documented instance, tho.

Actually, it may go back even further than that but is somewhat racially insensitive. There used to be an old ethnic joke about a black man who heard an owl go "Whooo" and responded with and answer back of "Who Dat"...when the owl responded with a second "Who" the man supposedly answered back " Who dat say who when I say Who Dat?" The old men in my community was telling that one when I was a young teen.

Truth be told, I could have sworn that the phrase originated somewhere in the carribean, since folks down there speak in a STRONG dialect.

Seems like they pronounces all of their TH's as D's when they speak since forever...

We were chanting that at my junior high basketball games in the 70's...And I'm sure it was being chanted prior to me getting there..... :lol:

"Who dat talkin bout beat them Eagles...who dat, who dat!"

I heard my grandparents using the phrase back in the 1960's. "Who Dat" knocking at my door, "Who Dat" turned on all the lights in this house? Grandma, Mr. Johnson said "Hello", "Who Dat".

Man a lie really isn't nothing for a n----to tell after all is it?

This night proved to be anything but traditional. To the sound of the sixties Motown beats the Alcorn band shocked the crowd when the entire band danced to its own tunes. In perfect alignment and all moving as one, the band pulsated to the beat of its incredible human juke boxmusic. Now you can imagine where the names of some SWAC school bands may have originated.

I remember seeing an old slave movie and the slave was making a reference to a white guy he has not seen before. The slave then asked his master "Who Dat der boss". I think it just took off from there.

I heard my grandparents using the phrase back in the 1960's. "Who Dat" knocking at my door, "Who Dat" turned on all the lights in this house? Grandma, Mr. Johnson said "Hello", "Who Dat".

Dayum, how old are some of ya'll!?? :lol:

When I was a kid, I would go visit my grandparents and knock at their door and my grandmother would say, "Who Dat Knocking At My Door, Who Dat, Who Dat" and I would say, "It's me" and she would say, "Who's Me?" and I would reply by saying, "It's me grandmother". She would open the door with a big smile and say, "I knew it was you all alone baby. Those were the days. I really miss my grandparents.

When I was a kid, I would go visit my grandparents and knock at their door and my grandmother would say, "Who Dat Knocking At My Door, Who Dat, Who Dat" and I would say, "It's me" and she would say, "Who's Me?" and I would reply by saying, "It's me grandmother". She would open the door with a big smile and say, "I knew it was you all alone baby. Those were the days. I really miss my grandparents.

:lol::lol::lol: Man, you all are making up stuff!

:lol::lol::lol: Man, you all are making up stuff!

Hell you might as well too buck, anytime a suppose professional wants us to believe that a chant that died started back in the 60's in the backwoods of Miss. became a rallying cry for a professional team in New Orleans, simply because they just one day said, "Hey y'all don't you remember that Ole Negro chant they use to do at Alcorn? Let's make that our "

Hell you might as well too buck, anytime a suppose professional wants us to believe that a chant that died started back in the 60's in the backwoods of Miss. became a rallying cry for a professional team in New Orleans, simply because they just one day said, "Hey y'all don't you remember that Ole Negro chant they use to do at Alcorn? Let's make that our "

Not trying to take it from the Saint...it's their's now. But the fact is that chant was being done at least at high school games in 1979 when I first came down here. I recall Catholic High of Pointe Coupee saying at the end of a game when they whupped Southern Lab. The entire visitors side was "who dat" ing it up!

It wasn't until the 80's when it took hold in New Orleans with the Saints... I bet you don't mind folks calling Bobby Hebert the "Founder of Who Dat Nation" do you? He must have a rat tail comb! :lol::lol:

Not trying to take it from the Saint...it's their's now. But the fact is that chant was being done at least at high school games in 1979 when I first came down here. I recall Catholic High of Pointe Coupee saying at the end of a game when they whupped Southern Lab. The entire visitors side was "who dat" ing it up!

It wasn't until the 80's when it took hold in New Orleans with the Saints... I bet you don't mind folks calling Bobby Hebert the "Founder of Who Dat Nation" do you? He must have a rat tail comb! :lol::lol:

Bobby stole the "Nation" from SU..

:)

is it really this serious?????? MIddle School drop outs been sayin "Who Dat" since the beginning of ******dom

~__________~

That makes about as much sense as your lame attempt of humor. No one ever insinuated or even said that this was an attempt to take it away from the Saints.

The conversation was about it's origin, reading is fundamental dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back