Alcorn Claims "The Real Story behind "Who Dat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it really this serious?????? MIddle School drop outs been sayin "Who Dat" since the beginning of ******dom

~__________~

All kind of superbowl storylines will be coming out. CBS wll have hundred of stories next sunday. FYI they did request braves football highlights from that era. WHO knows or WHO DAT!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I do know LSU stole it from them in basketball.

Who Dat Talkn Bout Beating Dhem Saints and Braves? Who Dat?
Published on January 14, 2010 by Dave Washington in Football

The real story behind “Who Datâ€

Thursday, January 14, 2010

“Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints/Braves – Who Dat†Uncle Dave’s Adventures

By Dave Washington, Jr., Sports Editor

Hold on, wait just a minute before you start yelling and screaming that I am being sacrilegious in using the Saints and Alcorn State Braves in the same sentence. As always there is a method to my madness. The reason dates back to the late 60’s when the then Alcorn A&M College football Braves made South Western Athletic Conference and National Black college history. The “Original Dream Team†which the 18-1-1 Mythical Black College Championship team of 1968-69 became known as, defeated the Florida A&M College Rattlers 36-9, in the Orange Blossom Classic, Black National Championship Game. The two seasons 68 and 69 put Alcorn on the map. Those seasons produced many first that have been loss to history only to be reinvented and packaged as original today.

Read more in Football
»Little known factoids from the annals of Alcorn history:

“Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Bravesâ€- This chant coined originally on the reservation during the 68-69 championship years was the battle cry of faithful Alcorn fans and alumni for years. A certain NFL team found its way a few miles south in the neighboring city of New Orleans and became known as the Saints. Many years passed until the idea of a winning team in New Orleans became a present reality. Now the following narrative is only conjecture; faithful Alcorn fans years removed from the sixties and the Dream Team era longed to cheer and shout that fabled Alcorn chant “Who Dat Talkn’Bout Beating Dhem Braves – Who Datâ€. These fans found themselves in the Dome unconsciously yelling and screaming with the fervor of by gone years “Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints – Who Datâ€. Now with visions of a perfect season dashed and visions of a Super Bowl dancing in their heads the fans, management and the team of New Orleans have laid claims to “Who Datâ€. Should the Saints continue their triumphant march to the Super Bowl and face an undefeated Indianapolis Colts and Payton Manning and after four quarters of play find themselves World Champions and the chant goes out “Who Dat Talkn’ Bout Beating Dhem Saints – Who Datâ€, be reminded of the original dream team. Just maybe a little of the residual of “Who Dat†of forty years ago will still be around for the Saints today.

It was rumored that a former All Pro NFL member of the Original Dream Team presented the current ASU football team a picture plaque of the championship ring prior to the Capitol City Classic with words of encouragement. Maybe the residual works Alcorn 14 Jackson State 7.

Like many great inventions, ideas and slogans that have gone unpatented, not trademarked nor a copy write granted, so goes “Who Datâ€. Others from Alcorn’s history include:......... (Golden Girls)

link...
http://sportales.com/football/who-dat-talkn-bout-beating-dhem-saints-and-braves-who-dat/

I know Mr. Washintong his youngest son and I are cool. We went to JSU together and had an apartment together in the MEM. He's has a lot of good wisdom to bistoe..

He played in the NFL for several years and made several Pro Bowls. He played for San Fran and the Bill and play with OJ...LOL

So, where did it originate??? Can you offers something other than your word???

It originated from individuals that couldn't speak correct English, which was/is common in most parts of the South. The Queen's English never became popular in the South. Therefore, it could have originated anywhere in the South, where most folks mispronounced words and communicated with incomplete sentences.

I know Mr. Washintong his youngest son and I are cool. We went to JSU together and had an apartment together in the MEM. He's has a lot of good wisdom to bistoe..

He played in the NFL for several years and made several Pro Bowls. He played for San Fran and the Bill and play with OJ...LOL

Is that DarKenya and D.Lo's father?

It originated from individuals that couldn't speak correct English, which was/is common in most parts of the South. The Queen's English never became popular in the South. Therefore, it could have originated anywhere in the South, where most folks mispronounced words and communicated with incomplete sentences.

That's makes it hard to choose between Alcorn and Baton Rouge... :lol: The only reason I will have to go with Alcorn is that "Who Dat" is Country... whereas SU is Country Ghetto and they are more likely to say "Who Dat Is". :lmao:

People been saying "WHO DAT" in New Orleans long before 67 brah... I'll believe it came from St.Aug before it came from smoe back of the woods Alcorn.... New Orleans never picked up stuff from nobody except New York when it can to fashion and we were usually late on that.. but in the South we were ahead..

Slang... We "never" took our takl from no one....

What sounds more true is it was some New Orleans kids that heard it over at St.Aug that brought it to Alcorn...

:tup:

People been saying "WHO DAT" in New Orleans long before 67 brah... I'll believe it came from St.Aug before it came from smoe back of the woods Alcorn.... New Orleans never picked up stuff from nobody except New York when it can to fashion and we were usually late on that.. but in the South we were ahead..

What sounds more true is it was some New Orleans kids that heard it over at St.Aug that brought it to Alcorn...

sounds bout right....

~__________~

Its so much controversy over that chant, :xeye: Cincinnati Bengals has one called "Who Dey".

That's makes it hard to choose between Alcorn and Baton Rouge... :lol: The only reason I will have to go with Alcorn is that "Who Dat" is Country... whereas SU is Country Ghetto and they are more likely to say "Who Dat Is". :lmao:

Were Jackson's knee-grows the only individuals in the South to speak the Queen's English?

damn all that... the Saints got that isht and is gone with it. All the way to the SuperBowl...So Who Dat gives a cfulk where it came from! :lol:

We were chanting that at my junior high basketball games in the 70's...And I'm sure it was being chanted prior to me getting there..... :lol:

"Who dat talkin bout beat them Eagles...who dat, who dat!"

Shole was Soror. Didn't know you were a fellow Brinkley Eagle. Should have known that though. 78-81 were my years.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You know, it could have very well been a 'copying thing' becasue the Saints were a young team (meaning their organization was just starting out) and they needed an image of some sort so they took a catchy phrase from Alcorn also they were (Alcorn) had just made a name for themselves and So was the Saints (trying to) so the "fit" could have very well been (meanign they toook it from ASU for their own personal use). If they did it really dumbs the people to where the phrase came from, IMO. Alcorn will never get credit for it only to the Alumni (which doesn't matter--meaning the Alumni voice should matter only).

It's simple... the chant was heard at a sporting event somewhere by someone and it spread. Just as playing neck has spread. Some fans in the Dome got to Chanting it and it caught on. The PR folks from the Saints got behind it (smart move) and now it's part of their deal... Who Dat is here to stay!

Not being funny but how you know what was being said before '67?

...and now it came from St. Aug. :rolleyes:

New Orleans never picked up stuff from nobody except New York when it can to fashion and we were usually late on that..

:lol:

You know, it could have very well been a 'copying thing' becasue the Saints were a young team (meaning their organization was just starting out) and they needed an image of some sort so they took a catchy phrase from Alcorn also they were (Alcorn) had just made a name for themselves and So was the Saints (trying to) so the "fit" could have very well been (meanign they toook it from ASU for their own personal use). If they did it really dumbs the people to where the phrase came from, IMO. Alcorn will never get credit for it only to the Alumni (which doesn't matter--meaning the Alumni voice should matter only).

Sho Ya Right

I just came up with a new phrase. I better patent it before somebody steals it.

Last edited:
So, does this mean you don't know the answer?

How about trying this? You tell me where it orginated from and I'll tell you if you're right or not. What da fugg this has to do with "Who DAT" i have no earthly clue

Re: Alcorn started WHO DAT??......

All of you all are lying......."Who dat" came straight from Southern U.! :lol: :emlaugh:

Yeah, yeah, yeaaaaaaahhhhh...

We know. SU invented it.. Doc charted a show and the 'S' drilled to it, back in '67 (before Alcorn started saying it). The Dancing Dolls performed it. And the 'Super 5' (back before they added '2') danced off it too....

It's the TROOF. Ask Jared, he's got the tape.. :D:D

It was a 'STAPLE' at SU.........

Yes, the 'S' sets all the trends in 'chicken-fried nation'........

Sunshine Anderson send help

:D:D

Last edited:
uuum, we already told you... ALCORN!

TP you're so busy thinking that you're nerving up SU folks and trying to take credit for something that you know nothing about, until you're all up in the conversation and don't even have a clue about what we're talking about.

AGAIN!!!!

TP you're so busy thinking that you're nerving up SU folks and trying to take credit for something that you know nothing about, until you're all up in the conversation and don't even have a clue about what we're talking about.

AGAIN!!!!

He was rather transparent wasn't he... stood out like a punk in a chain gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back