Doug Williams is still crying...two and a half years later

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Please explain. How was the administration being petty?

Essentially it became an issue about pride and who had bigger balls. Let's not get this twisted. This was a power struggle and Doug started to feel like he had a lot of it, which threatened the President. Perhaps this could have been resolved amicably between the two sides if they were willing to accommodate each others concern.

As it played out, we know this did not happen, and one person had to show just how much power they had. The question is, are they better long term for this decision or worse? Personally, there's enough blame that can be shared across the entire administration based on stories I've heard. Still, you can't blame the man for making things happen, when the administration didn't want to get off their ass to make it so. Alternatively, Doug could have worked more diligently with the administration to effectively incorporate change where needed without being a prick!

jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-72.jpg

Well in all honesty Doug did not get along with the AD or President. What is interesting though...none of the three are employed at GSU now. What's disgusting is that supporters of all three are stirring "the pot of negativity" in reference to GSU.

I think the only way Doug will be happy is if he is rehired as the head coach and AD with a President who will give him full autonomy to do what he pleases with question.

Basically an ego trip by all parties.

Not that I am trying to defend the administration, but rules and laws are put in place for a reason. And if firing an employee for braking said rules or laws is an ego trip - especially when the approval to fire him came from the board in Baton Rouge - I don't see what is so petty about that.

Not that I am trying to defend the administration, but rules and laws are put in place for a reason. And if firing an employee for braking said rules or laws is an ego trip - especially when the approval to fire him came from the board in Baton Rouge - I don't see what is so petty about that.

+1

As a coach told me once, "sooner or later you will get fired so ride the train while it's running."

Which rules are in place to prevent someone from getting donations for work to be done?

Which rules are in place to prevent someone from getting donations for work to be done?

That's the wrong question. The question should be "where should donations go in order for work to be done?". That is the rule Doug (and his folks) wanted to ignore.

Doug has been in college ball long enough to know how to navigate regulations. I highly doubt this was 100% on him.

The way I see it (with an admittedly limited view on the particulars of GSU's situation, but a firm understanding on HBCU administrative culture & practices), Doug wanted funding for things the administration didn't want to raise funds for. We ALL know SOME presidents would rather raise funds for new doorknobs before bending over for a football coach. That's just the nature of the beast.

IMO, both parties were wrong but to act like this is all on Doug is crazy and prolongs the problem of having anti-athletic presidents.

If some of you REALLY want to know the FACTS about this situation, all you have to do is Google it. Trying to draw conclusions based on limited knowledge doesn't really benefit anyone.

That's the wrong question. The question should be "where should donations go in order for work to be done?". That is the rule Doug (and his folks) wanted to ignore.
You said he broke rules and was fired for it. I say he just stepped over folks heads and got fired because they didn't like it. Louisiana is an at-will state and I think Doug wasn't under contract at the time so they could fire him for anything.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If some of you REALLY want to know the FACTS about this situation, all you have to do is Google it. Trying to draw conclusions based on limited knowledge doesn't really benefit anyone.
Just TELL us. Google doesn't have any more information other than what has been said here.

You said he broke rules and was fired for it. I say he just stepped over folks heads and got fired because they didn't like it. Louisiana is an at-will state and I think Doug wasn't under contract at the time so they could fire him for anything.

And you are entitled to have that opinion. If that's how you feel so be it.

But if any of you who happen to work for an employer (especially an employer that is a government agency) think that it is OK for you to just go make structural changes to a building or replace government owned equipment WITHOUT your boss' approval. Then there isn't much more to talk about.

Just TELL us. Google doesn't have any more information other than what has been said here.

What you all are asking is the very reason why some feel that the article was one sided. If you are interviewing someone and through prior research you determine that they were fired because of breaking rules...wouldn't you as a journalist reach out to the school through FOIA to request records of why someone was fired?

I'm one to believe that GSU didn't provide enough reasoning to the media markets as to why Doug was fired. They (administration) should have known that this would make national headlines and the probability of it going away could take 2 decades to be forgotten about or placed on the back burner.

And you are entitled to have that opinion. If that's how you feel so be it.

But if any of you who happen to work for an employer (especially an employer that is a government agency) think that it is OK for you to just go make structural changes to a building or replace government owned equipment WITHOUT your boss' approval. Then there isn't much more to talk about.
Structural changes? Or replacing worn out equipment and installing a foam floor?

Structural changes? Or replacing worn out equipment and installing a foam floor?

Does it matter? Whether its structural changes or replacing equipment, do you not think it requires approval? It all has to be accounted for.

From my understanding, Doug was raising money on his own to make alterations to the football facilities without going through Grambling's Facilities Department. Doug was doing some good by acquiring the necessary funds to upgrade the football facilities, but we all know we just can't N-word rig something on our own, especially facilities that are owned by the State of Louisiana. No matter how much money is donated, approval is still necessary in order to maintain consistency with Grambling's way of doing things. If Doug was given total autonomy, he just might have changed the name of Robinson Stadium to Doug Williams Stadium. At some point, people has to realize that maybe Doug was just a little out of control as a coach when it came to following the proper administrative protocol. Southernites should know that if someone tried something like that at Southern, the SU System Board would have kicked them clean off the campus.

Back