Is Dwayne Wade overrated or is he a shadow of Micheal Jordan

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
In what ways?
Defense, offense, leadership, on-court, off-court, etc.....

Clyde Austin "The Glide" Drexler (born June 22, 1962 in New Orleans, Louisiana) is a former NBA shooting guard. He is a ten-time all-star, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, and was named one of basketball's fifty greatest players by the NBA. Drexler won an Olympic gold medal in 1992 and an NBA championship in 1995.

Playing style
Drexler was famed for his speed and finesse on the court, completed by an unusually easy-going and quiet attitude. His extraordinary leaping abilities allowed him to be an excellent dunker.

Drexler was regarded as a versatile player, posting consistent numbers in the points, rebounds, assists, and steals categories, as well as a fairly impressive amount of blocks for a player his size, ranking third for his career totals among guards.

He is one of only three players in NBA history to have a career record of at least 20,000 points, 6,000 rebounds and 6,000 assists (the two others being Oscar Robertson and John Havlicek). As of 2005, Drexler leads all guards with his career average of offensive rebounds per game (2.4).

Honors
10-time NBA All-Star (1986, 1988–1994, 1996, 1997)
All-NBA Second Team (1988, 1991)
All-NBA First Team (1992)
Olympic gold medalist (1992)
1 NBA championship (1995)
Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)
Basketball Hall of Famer (2004)

And here is some more proof:

Drexler attended the University of Houston, where, alongside Hakeem Olajuwon and Larry Michaux, he made up the "Phi Slamma Jamma" basketball fraternity, known for the aerial exploits of its members. Despite being heavily favored, Houston lost the 1983 NCAA finals against underdog North Carolina State.

He was selected a surprisingly low 14th overall in the 1983 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers. He helped lead that team to the NBA Finals in 1990 and 1992, with the help of young and talented teammates, such as Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Buck Williams and Clifford Robinson. In 1992 he served for the U.S. Olympics basketball team, nicknamed The Dream Team, and won a gold medal in the process. He finished second to Michael Jordan in Most Valuable Player voting in 1991-92. He went head-to-head with Jordan in the NBA Finals that same season, also falling short, as Jordan and the Chicago Bulls went on to repeat as champions.

Blacknbengal said:
Defense, offense, leadership, on-court, off-court, etc.....

Clyde Austin "The Glide" Drexler (born June 22, 1962 in New Orleans, Louisiana) is a former NBA shooting guard. He is a ten-time all-star, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, and was named one of basketball's fifty greatest players by the NBA. Drexler won an Olympic gold medal in 1992 and an NBA championship in 1995.

Playing style
Drexler was famed for his speed and finesse on the court, completed by an unusually easy-going and quiet attitude. His extraordinary leaping abilities allowed him to be an excellent dunker.

Drexler was regarded as a versatile player, posting consistent numbers in the points, rebounds, assists, and steals categories, as well as a fairly impressive amount of blocks for a player his size, ranking third for his career totals among guards.

He is one of only three players in NBA history to have a career record of at least 20,000 points, 6,000 rebounds and 6,000 assists (the two others being Oscar Robertson and John Havlicek). As of 2005, Drexler leads all guards with his career average of offensive rebounds per game (2.4).

Honors
10-time NBA All-Star (1986, 1988?1994, 1996, 1997)
All-NBA Second Team (1988, 1991)
All-NBA First Team (1992)
Olympic gold medalist (1992)
1 NBA championship (1995)
Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)
Basketball Hall of Famer (2004)

Don't argue with these folks Beans. They probably didn't see Clyde play in his prime. I still remember him leaping over Andre Turner of Memphis State at the time in the NCAA tourney and dunking on the rest of those clowns. Clyde immediately got to Portland and served notice to the NBA. They didn't have to develop into stars. They came into the league ready to ball. That's the difference now in the NBA. For every LeBron and Wade, there are Darko's, Kwame Brown's etc... Look how long and how many teams it took Billups to develop as a player after leaving Colorado his Fresh. year. Clyde, Jordan, Bird,Zeke, Magic, Ewing, Olajuwon to certain extent...he just needed Ralph out the way. None of them needed the amount of time to develop as some of these cats do now. Not only that. A lot of NBA teams were stacked with talent since expansion had not fully happened yet in the NBA.

PsychoJag said:
You sound like a fool. Compare MJ's supporting cast his 3rd year compared to LJ's now. :rolleyes:

Juwan Oldahm (sp), George Gervin, Dave Corzine, Steve Colter, Granville Waiters (maybe), Brad Sellers, Charles Oakley, John Paxson, Sidney Greene.

Don't use the HOF as your backbone because no CURRENT player is in the HOF. You don't think LeBron willget 10 All-Atar appearances (health permitting)? He already has an All-NBA first team after just his 3rd season so he has caught Glide with that. He also was All-NBA 2nd team last year.

Remember... I am from Louisiana and live in Houston. I saw Clyde play since he was at U of H and was a fan from day one. I saw Clyde jump from BEHIND the free-throw line in a dunk contest and actually miss the dunk because he flew too far...the "glide" nickname is not a myth in my eyes. But STILL... if I had to pick... LeBron. Lebron didn't need time to develop either. He came in and did his thing.

Labron is doing his thing in a watered down NBA. I wonder how he would fare if he played in Clyde's era when the defender could hand check and you got knocked down when you went to the basket. Ask MJ, Dr. J, Clyde how it felt getting knocked down out of the air on an attemped dunk. Clyde played in an era that was much better and was not watered down.

As for Wade, he has a long way to go before we can compare him to Jordan. Let his career play out and then we can compare him

mighty hornet said:
light years?
:smh::smh:

ummm, seeing how they didn't start in the NBA at the same age, you can't just look at their ages
What you can look at though is their rookie season in the NBA, their 2nd season, etc

Jordan's first full 3 seasons, he averaged 28, 37, and 35

I'm waiting to see how Lebron's numbers are "light years ahead" of that
:scared:

like I said if u compare them at the SAME AGE Lebron is waaaayyyy......better. He understood in his first year that he can't do it all by himself, and get his teammates into the game.

SUtrp96 said:
Because of Shaq, with out Shaq he is no better than Allen Iverson...:tup:

:lol:

If you are using the shaq argument that same can be said about Mr.Wade. As for SHAQ if he had no Kobe he would have No RINGS just ask the Rockets!!!!!!! :mrt:

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
like I said if u compare them at the SAME AGE Lebron is waaaayyyy......better.
Again, what good does that do, when they didn't enter the league at the same age? Heck, shouldn't an NBA player be better than a high school kid?

But the OBJECTIVE measure is to compare rookie seasons. They both had a first year.
And the numbers don't lie. Jordan averaged more points , more rebounds, shot a much better percentage from the field and the ft line, had more steals.

As for Lebron "understood in his first year that he can't do it all by himself, and get his teammates into the game", well Lebron averaged 6 assists his rookie season. In addition to all the other stuff, Jordan averaged 6 assists his rookie season too.

so........:scared:

sorry, but this "light years ahead and "waaaaaay....better" stuff doesnt wash.

DAHILL said:
Jordan wasnt doing the things Lebran was doing in his 3rd year in the league... Do you agree?
How can you really say that? At the same age as LeBron, during Jordan's 3rd year at the University of North Carolina, he led his team to the NCAA championship. With MVP honors I might add.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Deuce said:

Bill Russell did "what Jordan did" before Jordan did it.

Did Jordan win 8 CHAMPIONSHIP IN A ROW? Russell did.
Jordan could have won 8 in a row, but remember he retired from the game of basktball, came back and won 3 more titles in Chicago. The Bulls without Jordan could not make it to the mountain top. Remember the problems between Pippen and Tony "The Kroasian(sp) Sensation" Kukoc. Can anybody do what Jordan did IN THIS REGARD?

PsychoJag said:
I don't agree. Lebron can't play defense to save his life. Offensively maybe. Overall no. Like I said before I think D. Wade will have a better career than Lebron. Lebron shouldn't have been the Rookie of the year D. Wade was crushing him and Carmello that year.
EXACTLY! :tup:

And I would like to point out that out of the 3 rookies (LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwayne Wade) D. Wade was the only one who led his team to the playoffs. And to make it even more evident that Wade is better than LeBron, Wade didn't have ANY HELP and carried his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs while the rest were sitting at home. The next year they got Shaq, and the rest is history.

Mr. SWAC said:
Jordan could have won 8 in a row, but remember he retired from the game of basktball, came back and won 3 more titles in Chicago. The Bulls without Jordan could not make it to the mountain top. Remember the problems between Pippen and Tony "The Kroasian(sp) Sensation" Kukoc. Can anybody do what Jordan did IN THIS REGARD?

The FACT is he DIDN'T win 8 in a row. It is not about what he COULD have done, but what he DID...which is GREAT and almost unbelieveable (in our minds).

There were a lot of "if's" for the great players (i.e. Magic Johnson) that could have helped them do even greater things...everyone has setbacks so let's focus on what WAS and not what COULD HAVE BEEN.

DAHILL said:
He more than likely wouldnt have got drafted.... damn sure wouldnt have been with the first pick like Lebran.... Jordan wasnt a super superstar coming out of high school.
You seem to forget about one key little element....... POTENTIAL. LeBron was drafted #1 overall, because of his potential, not because he was the best player in the world or #1 college athlete. Let's keep also that back in the day LeBron would most likely have gone to college. I could count on one hand the total number of athletes who jumped from high school straight into the pros at that time. Going by your assesment, Monte Ellis is better than Jordan, or any of the other 18+ highschool players who declared for the NBA draft last year. :xeye:

No...I think the reality of it is that NBA players such as Jordan, Artest, Coach John Lucas, etc were saying LeBron was BETTER THAN many player in the NBA while he was in high school. They knew because they played against him every summer.

If Shaq stays...and, stays healthy. There's a good chance DWade will have 3 like Kobe...which will be 3 more than Mello will have....and, two more than Lebron will have. And, let the All-Stars and MVP's fall where they may.

:)

Here we go again.....you can't compare a few inconsistent year with a career. Wade and Lebron has a long way to go before you compare their careers to Jordan. One thing about Jordan that Wade and Lebron don't have on their resume....he was a champion at 21.

Wade's career will never come close to Jordan. Lebron's might, but I would like to see how he will react to a major injury. Wade and Lebron are liabilities on defense, which was never a problem with Jordan or Kobe.

Consistency is what seperate the players of yesterday from the guys today. Players today don't have a basketball IQ, which is why there is no consistency. They rely on pure talent versus using their head to beat teams. Jordan beat the Knicks with kindness. He made the players and fans in New York love him. Jeff Van Gundy tried to get his player to understand how Jordan used his friendship to the point that they would not challenge him.

I hope the playoff series against the Suns was an indication that Kobe has improved his basketball IQ. You can't force the flow of the game...Jordan was a master at picking his spots, which Kobe did in the Suns series.

Ice Man said:
Here we go again.....you can't compare a few inconsistent year with a career.Wade and Lebron are liabilities on defense, which was never a problem with Jordan or Kobe.
I dont agree with this part. I'll rather have Wade on defense than Kobe.

TSU_TIGERNUPE said:
If you are using the shaq argument that same can be said about Mr.Wade. As for SHAQ if he had no Kobe he would have No RINGS just ask the Rockets!!!!!!! :mrt:

What are you talking about, Shaq TOOK his "EXPANSION" team to the FINALS in his first few years in the NBA... Shaq is probably the ONLY player that don't need a STRONG team to get to the finals... Kobe proving right now, he isn't a team player...:tup:

What was the first year they started allowing high schoolers into the league?

Bottom line is, if this was being done long ago, MOST of the NBA from back then would have been GREAT candidates out of high school...Some probably not, because of HEIGHT....

I honestly wish they go back to making these kids wait....The NBA would get back to what it was once this happens...

Back