Interesting, but not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL @ y'all with these budgets. Y'all acting like these schools -- who have to answer to the federal government -- just fudge up the numbers constantly.

So why not use the figures the schools report to the feds as a guide post for your arguments.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
No you can't. None of us are close to being in a position to even think about moving up.

Shouldn't even be considering it. There shouldn't be any talk of moving up when only two schools (as of 2014) only had budgets north of 10 million. If you want to use ULM as a model, 12 million should be the goal before any school should bring it up for discussion (as someone said, many are only thinking about this from a football POV)

LOL @ y'all with these budgets. Y'all acting like these schools -- who have to answer to the federal government -- just fudge up the numbers constantly.

So why not use the figures the schools report to the feds as a guide post for your arguments.

I've asked that question twice and still haven't received an answer. It's like folks are yanking stuff clean out of their rectum to create their own agenda. Creative writing is definitely a talent that is being used by a lot people on here.

Shouldn't even be considering it. There shouldn't be any talk of moving up when only two schools (as of 2014) only had budgets north of 10 million. If you want to use ULM as a model, 12 million should be the goal before any school should bring it up for discussion (as someone said, many are only thinking about this from a football POV)

If you are using USA Today's numbers, there were 3 SWAC schools (AlaSt, PV, and SU) with revenues over $10 million for 2013-14 school year. But I do see your point on having over $12 million, which is approximately what ULM is working with. One SWAC school (Alabama State) did have above $14 million.

I've asked that question twice and still haven't received an answer. It's like folks are yanking stuff clean out of their rectum to create their own agenda. Creative writing is definitely a talent that is being used by a lot people on here.

JAG89 ....

Here's a good resource from the U.S. Department of Education. It's the Equity in Athletics section (which, by law, institutions must comply with). CAVEAT: The data is from the previous fiscal year (July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014). But it's better than nothing.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Also, USA Today's data is pretty reliable also, but you have to search for the most updated information.

I would rely more on what information from the Department of Education

Yeah, that won't happen at that price. We not picking up the phone for less than $300,000, even for a fellow FBS HBCU. lol

You can say that again! $200.000 would be an insult! Besides, JSU is not the best HBCU to move up; SU would hold that distinction. The best scenario would be for a group (at least 6) of likely HBCUs to move up together.

Actually ULM is the best model on why not to move up. They can't get a home game to save their life from any of the upper tier fbs and are having to whore themselves out worst then any fcs school ever had too.

You can say that again! $200.000 would be an insult! Besides, JSU is not the best HBCU to move up; SU would hold that distinction. The best scenario would be for a group (at least 6) of likely HBCUs to move up together.

I think 3-4 would be the target number. Most of these conferences have unev e n numbers when it comes to football schools or we could actually replace a couple because of our geographical location.

If you are using USA Today's numbers, there were 3 SWAC schools (AlaSt, PV, and SU) with revenues over $10 million for 2013-14 school year. But I do see your point on having over $12 million, which is approximately what ULM is working with. One SWAC school (Alabama State) did have above $14 million.

Even though Alabama State had an athletics budget of $14,000,000, their subsidy rate was extremely high, which indicates a lack of financial soundness.

If moved up, I wouldn't say need. More of a want because we'd more than likely have the money so there wouldn't be a need to play any FCS team. It would be more so for the fans, alumni and supporters just to keep those fun, hectic, ish talkin HBCU rivalries we've had for years that everyone grew up loving and enjoying. Kinda like a gift to the fans for all the support and hard work in getting that far. Im sure in someway, it could work out. Honestly, who really wants to just throw away those long standing, strong rivalries even for making and having more money. Im sure if we had to, it def wouldn't be a problem lol.

Every non-power conference FBS team in America plays at least 1 FSC game per year! How is it that you would leap-frog over all of them and suddenly not need FSC?

JAG89 ....

Here's a good resource from the U.S. Department of Education. It's the Equity in Athletics section (which, by law, institutions must comply with). CAVEAT: The data is from the previous fiscal year (July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014). But it's better than nothing.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Also, USA Today's data is pretty reliable also, but you have to search for the most updated information.

I would rely more on what information from the Department of Education

Thanks!!! Finally something other than USA Today's NCAA Finances. According to the data (Department of Education) you provided, Southern's revenue was $9,296,859 for 2013-14, which is a far cry from the mid $7 million like some have previously posted, whereas the $7 million ($6,677,540 to be exact) sounds about right for their university.

People really need to post their source when they are using compiled data from a known source, because all I know, they could be yanking figures clean out of their rectum. If you have noticed, I've always provide a link to USA Today's NCAA Finances when I posted figures from that page.

Last edited:
Every non-power conference FBS team in America plays at least 1 FSC game per year! How is it that you would leap-frog over all of them and suddenly not need FSC?

Well playing SU, Alcorn or whoever shouldn't be a problem. Or whatever "FSC" school we'd want then, right?

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JSU enrollment might see a dip after new admission standards are implemented at Grambling and SU. JSU got a lot of students from Louisiana that couldn't get into Grambling or SU. Losing Louisiana kids to Texas Southern, PV, Alcorn and JSU was apart of the reasoning for changing admission standards at Louisiana HBCUs

With everything going on at JSU I doubt it would be much, if any tbh. Dr. Meyers ain't just worried about increasing enrollment, she's also making sure the kids come and stay there versus other schools and also have a great experience there as well. With all the renovations, changes, and things being added to the campus she's not just making it hard for yall to compete, but everybody. She's more so in the mindset of competing with MS State or bigger schools rather than another HBCU. Trust me. The vision at JSU is far bigger than people seem or want to think. Even if we did lose LA recruits, there's 49 other states to recruit from so yall can have em lol.

People really need to post their source when they are using complied data, because all I know, they could be yanking figures clean out of their rectum. If you have noticed, I've always provide a link to USA Today's NCAA Finances when I posted figures from that page.

Or you can always just search for the numbers on your own and post them. Google is still free. I posted in my original post with the budgets in it that the data was from 2014 (it's still there. No editing). I posted them just to give people a general idea of what our budgets look like.

I'm trying to see why I would just pull some random numbers out the sky and post them for no reason. It's not that serious to me. Just keep the convo flowing instead of acting all anal about whether YOU believe the numbers are real or not

Or you can always just search for the numbers on your own and post them. Google is still free. I posted in my original post with the budgets in it that the data was from 2014 (it's still there. No editing). I posted them just to give people a general idea of what our budgets look like.

I'm trying to see why I would just pull some random numbers out the sky and post them for no reason. It's not that serious to me. Just keep the convo flowing instead of acting all anal about whether YOU believe the numbers are real or not

You said you posted these on FB a while back after going to the USA Today page. I still have yet to see how your numbers came from USA Today. Also, the link you provided is an ESPN link, not USA Today.

I had posted these on Facebook a while back after going to the USA Today page I believe and getting them from there

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10485669/hbcus-heading-uncharted-waters?src=mobile

Not really. It'll net us more conference money and more exposure.
The Sun Belt may be half a step up from the SWAC in terms of exposure, but let one of our schools show that we can pack those bowl games, and those opportunities might open up some more.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Finally something other than USA Today's NCAA Finances. According to the data (Department of Education) you provided, Southern's revenue was $9,296,859 for 2013-14, which is a far cry from the mid $7 million like some have previously posted, whereas the $7 million ($6,677,540 to be exact) sounds about right for their university.

People really need to post their source when they are using compiled data from a known source, because all I know, they could be yanking figures clean out of their rectum. If you have noticed, I've always provide a link to USA Today's NCAA Finances when I posted figures from that page.

I really hope you aren't taking these numbers serious.

I really hope you aren't taking these numbers serious.

I really hope you are not about to yank any numbers out of your rectum to try to prove that your HBCU has the best chance in moving up to the FBS level. I rather use data that was compiled by some known source over data that was yanked clean out of someone's crappy rectum or basically numbers that are full of crap. IMO, USA Today and Department of Education are known sources, whereas a person's rectum is not.

Last edited:
Honestly, I have yet to see proof of any school's budget. The only thing I have seen is USA Today's NCAA finances (actual revenues and expenses) for D-I schools at the end of each school year. Budgets are projected revenues and expenses not ACTUAL. IMO, actual figures are way better than projected figures and most SWAC schools are below average when it comes to revenues and expenses in FCS with more than 50% of their athletic revenue coming from subsidized funds. As I previously stated, there's only ONE HBCU that is below 50% when it comes to subsidized funds for athletic revenue.

This means that SU athletics is on a more sound footing.

Y'all keep throwing this around that SU is the only school that is under 50% subsidized. But when you look closely at your numbers, SU receives more subsidies than we do. A little over a $1M more than JSU does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back