Interesting, but not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're assuming that SU and Alcorn would still play you. For those games to continue, JSU would have to agree to a home-and-home series with FCS schools.

Plus since they would be FBS. They would have to pay any FCS school including us to play them. I doubt they would do a home and home. Maybe in the transitional years. But after that, they will need all the home games they can get just like all FBS schools do. They make sure they have more home games than away games every year.

Plus since they would be FBS. They would have to pay any FCS school including us to play them. I doubt they would do a home and home. Maybe in the transitional years. But after that, they will need all the home games they can get just like all FBS schools do. They make sure they have more home games than away games every year.
Maybe if they use the Superdome as a neutral stadium it could go on.

If JSU calls SU for $200,000 just to travel to Jackson, you think SU wouldn't come. Come on. Lol

The thing is, would JSU be willing to pay 200-250K for SU or any FCS school to come. It's more to it than just getting to 15K students. You still need your alums to be bringing DOLLARs to the table. Just think, the power FCS schools who recently moved up have more than 15K students. And they have had that for years and it took them a long time to move up. ND State still has not decided to do that yet. And they have the money.

The thing is, would JSU be willing to pay 200-250K for SU or any FCS school to come. It's more to it than just getting to 15K students. You still need your alums to be bringing DOLLARs to the table. Just think, the power FCS schools who recently moved up have more than 15K students. And they have had that for years and it took them a long time to move up. ND State still has not decided to do that yet. And they have the money.
James Madison too.

James Madison too.

Yep. Because it is deeper than just moving up football wise. Now all your other sports want a piece of the pie and you will have to share that revenue in the athletic department to compete with other sports in whatever conference you move too.

Nah. I think if any HBCU not just JSU is going to move up. You don't get to hold on to your FCS rival games. You say bye bye and move on. That's the way it is. If you need to still play your FCS rivals to keep fan interest. No need to move up.

I agree. We would need to make USM our chief rival and play Alcorn and SU whenever the terms are right. We could play ya'll for Homecoming and use some of the money from our azz whooping payouts to pay you.. LOL

Yep. Because it is deeper than just moving up football wise. Now all your other sports want a piece of the pie and you will have to share that revenue in the athletic department to compete with other sports in whatever conference you move too.

JR, those things won't be an obstacle. You just need an adminstration with some sense and some coaches who can do a WHOLE lot with a little. Besides, I think that being an HBCU in a 1-A conference will sway a lot of talent our way. You have some kids who just want to play in a "white" conference. It's sad but that would really help JSU. You don't need OSUs budget to be in the Sunbelt.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Nice research but i don't agree!

What do you think of Jackson State's FBS potential?
Honestly..... Market wise JSU is in the perfect place. I would also put SU and ALABAMA ST in that category also based on location. The POTENTIAL is there.

Realistically. ...... none of us are nowhere near ready. No way we could survive on $30 game tickets and $1000 donations on that level. We have to really up our game just to catch up to the Troy states of the mid major world as for budgets.

Side note...... had no idea ulm was operating on a measly $12 million budget.

Wouldn't matter. They'd literally have to double their budget and the vast majority of that would be subsidized by student fees like the majority of the rest of non P5 FBS schools.

You all and these made up budgets. Why would we need to double our budget. We are already pretty much a fully funded department. We WILL have to add more scholarships but that would not even cost us a million dollars to do.. and even the lowly Sunbelt distributed 2.4 million to each school last year.

They have everything they want right now in FCS. They are the big dogs in FCS land (4 Peat). They've been on College Gameday 2 straight years. They beat P5 schools regularly.

If they move up, they will end up like App State and probably have to toil around in non-P5 land for maybe 5-10 years before/if they hit their stride. Most likely they are MAC bound and that would put them a decent distance from schools like NIU

For every Boise State, you have a Marshall or ULM that has not done much of nothing in FBS land

With the right vision and leadership, anything is possible. One thing I would like to see JSU work on before exploring moving up, is making the athletic department less dependant on school funds and student fees. At least be under 50% before making that move.

I think we already under 50% but why is that important? Other schools in the Sunbelt are not under 50%. Not that I am advocating the idea at all ... LOL .. but most of this stuff people put out there is so misguided.

Side note...... had no idea ulm was operating on a measly $12 million budget.

Yes. I remember when we were talking about SWAC budgets on Facebook. Alabama State's budget would make them a lower tier SLC/Sun Belt conference school.

Yes. I remember when we were talking about SWAC budgets on Facebook. Alabama State's budget would make them a lower tier SLC/Sun Belt conference school.

So you see Budgets mean NOTHING and half of them are made up and depending on what state you are in, etc.. they are calculated differently. ULM would blow BAMA State out the water in every sport.

ULM would blow BAMA State out the water in every sport.

Your non-sports side is showing again.

Valley beat ULM one time in baseball and we were bad. I'm sure ASU could have fared better in a baseball series. Competitive basketball team. Respectable football team (until last year). Nationally ranked bowling team. The only thing ULM has over ASU, SU or JSU is the TITLE of being a FBS school. That's it

Your non-sports side is showing again.

Valley beat ULM one time in baseball and we were bad. I'm sure ASU could have fared better in a baseball series. Competitive basketball team. Respectable football team (until last year). Nationally ranked bowling team. The only thing ULM has over ASU, SU or JSU is the TITLE of being a FBS school. That's it

Sports guy, when you ever gonna discuss anything other than a score? Anyway, being FBS is all they need to have over us. ..and yeah, you beat them ONE time.. big deal. App State beat Michigan in FOOTBALL only get that azz tapped a few years later. JSU beat the #1 baseball team in the country last year, only to get blasted the next day so Mr. Sports Guy, your ONE time means nothing. ULM prob would have beat Valley's azz the next day. LOL (MH, that's the Next Day Theory...lol)

I think we already under 50% but why is that important? Other schools in the Sunbelt are not under 50%. Not that I am advocating the idea at all ... LOL .. but most of this stuff people put out there is so misguided.
Of course it has nothing to do with how successful a school will be in sports, but it's important, because the GOP is trying to push for shifting more of the higher education costs on the students. If the state ever had a round of budget cuts happen, there would be no way to justify not cutting athletics funding if the school is providing so much of the money. The more independent that department is, the better chance it has at surviving for the long haul.

Sports guy, when you ever gonna discuss anything other than a score? Anyway, being FBS is all they need to have over us. ..and yeah, you beat them ONE time.. big deal. App State beat Michigan in FOOTBALL only get that azz tapped a few years later. JSU beat the #1 baseball team in the country last year, only to get blasted the next day so Mr. Sports Guy, your ONE time means nothing. ULM prob would have beat Valley's azz the next day. LOL (MH, that's the Next Day Theory...lol)
He's right though, UL-Monroe football had that one year where they beat some SEC teams, but outside of that they are pretty sorry for an FBS team. They are really an FCS team pretending to be FBS.

BIG pic non-sports guy not your (and a few other JSU posters) little myopic view of thinking. You're too slow to ever see it explained right in your face (in the post you responded to). ULM's budget is only like a million or so more than Alabama State's but it's easy to say that the Hornets have a better athletic program than ULM (you know since every other sport is D1 like ULM so there you can easily compare their athletic programs side by side)

But you continue to get your troll on non-sports guy.

Of course it has nothing to do with how successful a school will be in sports, but it's important, because the GOP is trying to push for shifting more of the higher education costs on the students. If the state ever had a round of budget cuts happen, there would be no way to justify not cutting athletics funding if the school is providing so much of the money. The more independent that department is, the better chance it has at surviving for the long haul.

And they are not under 50%.

Nah. I think if any HBCU not just JSU is going to move up. You don't get to hold on to your FCS rival games. You say bye bye and move on. That's the way it is. If you need to still play your FCS rivals to keep fan interest. No need to move up.
Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back