Interesting, but not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I think if any HBCU not just JSU is going to move up. You don't get to hold on to your FCS rival games. You say bye bye and move on. That's the way it is. If you need to still play your FCS rivals to keep fan interest. No need to move up.

If moved up, I wouldn't say need. More of a want because we'd more than likely have the money so there wouldn't be a need to play any FCS team. It would be more so for the fans, alumni and supporters just to keep those fun, hectic, ish talkin HBCU rivalries we've had for years that everyone grew up loving and enjoying. Kinda like a gift to the fans for all the support and hard work in getting that far. Im sure in someway, it could work out. Honestly, who really wants to just throw away those long standing, strong rivalries even for making and having more money. Im sure if we had to, it def wouldn't be a problem lol.

I would like to see S.U. double our enrollment before entertaining any type of FBS move as well as continuing improving facilities.

There were plenty of intrastate rivalries in Louisiana that cease to exist once LaTech, ULM, and ULL moved to FBS. I believe McNeese would love to continue their rivalry with ULL.

Pretending to be FBS will net you the same result as UL-Monroe, which would lead to horrible attendance and low fan interest.

Yep. Any SWAC school that does it (that has a realistic shot at it) would be the FBS version of TnSU.

For example, if SU did it, I can't see them eliminating the BC so most like JSU and/or Alcorn would rotate off the schedule.

SU - Right now the best fan base but needs to bump up that enrollment/athletic budget
ASU - Has the facilities and the budget as a bottom tier FBS Sun belt school. Internal issues have to be fixed
TxSU - In the H-town market. Same category as ASU as far as budget but needs more fan base interest
PV - Same as TxSU. Budget would need a bump but they are getting the stadium

Everyone else (maybe outside of AAMU sicne they are a half mil behind PV) is pipe dreaming at this point

SWAC Athletic Budgets (2014)
Alabama A&M: $7.6 million
Alabama State: $11.7 million
Alcorn State: $6.3 million
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: $6.5 million
Grambling State: $7.1 million
Jackson State: $6.0 million
Mississippi Valley State: $4.4 million
Prairie View A&M: $8.1 million
Southern: $8.6 million
Texas Southern: $10.2 million

Yep. Any SWAC school that does it (that has a realistic shot at it) would be the FBS version of TnSU.

For example, if SU did it, I can't see them eliminating the BC so most like JSU and/or Alcorn would rotate off the schedule.

SU - Right now the best fan base but needs to bump up that enrollment/athletic budget
ASU - Has the facilities and the budget as a bottom tier FBS Sun belt school. Internal issues have to be fixed
TxSU - In the H-town market. Same category as ASU as far as budget but needs more fan base interest

Everyone else (maybe outside of AAMU sicne they are a half mil behind PV) is pipe dreaming at this point

Could you please provide the source of your budget figures.

All I would want to do if JSU where to become FBS Is show the world how the the Tigers in Mississippi do football season. I would love to see JSU on the news in another city talking about how all they see is blue and white and Mississippi tags all over town. Since there is a lot of possible talk of this in the future I guess I will gone take this job promotion so if JSU has to play a school anywhere in the country I'll be financially ready. Go tigers.

I think your information is old. Jsu budget is round $7million and SU is mid $7million

The thing is, would JSU be willing to pay 200-250K for SU or any FCS school to come. It's more to it than just getting to 15K students. You still need your alums to be bringing DOLLARs to the table. Just think, the power FCS schools who recently moved up have more than 15K students. And they have had that for years and it took them a long time to move up. ND State still has not decided to do that yet. And they have the money.

That's the key thing. We need donors. Look at every program and you'll find a big time donor. Some have one and some programs have several.

I had posted these on Facebook a while back after going to the USA Today page I believe and getting them from there

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10485669/hbcus-heading-uncharted-waters?src=mobile

None of those numbers appear to be close to what USA Today posted. What USA Today uploads each year are actual end of the year athletic finances (revenues and expenses) for NCAA Division I public schools. The latest numbers they posted are from the 2013-14 school year.

SWAC SCHOOLS 2013-14 REVENUES
Alabama State - $14,070,309
Prairie View - $10,761,388
SOUTHERN - $10,153,053
Texas Southern - $9,780,351
Alabama A&M - $9,568,473
Arkansas Pine - Bluff $7,785,707
Jackson State - $7,217,246
Alcorn - $6,340,123
Grambling - $5,389,368
Mississippi Valley - $3,952,319

SWAC SCHOOLS 2013-14 EXPENSES
Alabama State - $14,070,309
Prairie View - $10,541,202
Texas Southern - $9,780,351
SOUTHERN - $9,237,128
Arkansas Pine Bluff - $7,816,300
Grambling - $7,251,811
Alabama A&M - $7,240,911
Jackson State - $7,217,246
Alcorn - $6,601,425
Mississippi Valley - $3,952,319

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

Last edited:

You going off the current budgets, that mean no one could be FBS. How could you not mention JSU. Of course to even be FBS all budgets need to be increased. So only teams who could be FBS any time soon is JSU AND SU. You mention SU but not JSU. JSU at least has an increasing enrollment and should be 10,500 fall 2015 along with a much larger endowment than SU and SU had a AD that emphasized fundraising. We where focused on APR. Now we are in the market for a fundraising type AD. So again overall JSU is the only one who really could make the jump.

You going off the current budgets, that mean no one could be FBS. How could you not mention JSU. Of course to even be FBS all budgets need to be increased. So only teams who could be FBS any time soon is JSU AND SU. You mention SU but not JSU. JSU at least has an increasing enrollment and should be 10,500 fall 2015 along with a much larger endowment than SU and SU had a AD that emphasized fundraising. We where focused on APR. Now we are in the market for a fundraising type AD. So again overall JSU is the only one who really could make the jump.

No you can't. None of us are close to being in a position to even think about moving up.

It's interesting that no one has mentioned FAMU in this thread, since they are the only HBCU that actual tried to move to the FBS level and now they are considering moving to the SWAC for financial reasons. Now SWAC schools are looking into moving to the FBS level for the same reasons FAMU considered when they tried to make that jump.

Last edited:
ULM has survived years with horrible attendance in all sports, so one can't count attendance in an attempt to move up. The real question should be does a school have the donors to maintain at the FBS level during low attendance years?

One must think, JSU was second only to SU 2014 in attendance numbers. If you recall 2014 was a down year for us and SU went to SCG but still JSU was off only by about 1000 fans. Secondly JSU Athletic Finacial situation has remained the same athletic wise because the AD we had was hired to get those APR rates to par. Now imagine if JSU decides to focus more so on fundraising with this new AD, then who will be able to touch us? I keep hearing all these jags saying how they are number one but the truth is you are number one BUT only on JSU down years and only by a small margin. Again JSU is the only one who can make the jump in the swac. We are number 2 in attendance and our Athletic budget is average in the swac without trying. Now the focus with the new future AD will be fundraising and facilities upgrade. With that being said JSU is D-1 bound no matter what all the haters say. But I'm used to all other 9 institutions hating on JSU. We can hear about Alabama state trying to go FBS all day and very few nay Sayers but when that mighty JSU gets that attention people talk about us like we are some new kid on the block with less than 2000 students and no football history. JSU has the Basic resources That some schools have to build up to toward becoming d-1. All we have to do is increase alumni support and gain a few corporate sponsors who believe in the survival of HBCU sports. One thing about JSU football is we've become who we are because of us. No one else really helped us. Attendance wise it's not like 75 percent of our swac opponents bring a crowd. It's not like the swac gives us loads of conference pay outs. Everything we've accomplished was because jacksonians bought into there own school. So if we stuck together to make it this fare, we will stick together till the end.. It's hard to sit and say JSU can't survive FBS when we average on bad years more than small FBS schools average on there good years. Jsu would have to make sure the product Is on the field and if they do there job, they will see that there is a demand. Even on the FCS level when JSU did there job providing product on the field with Casey and his crew you see how attendance was through the roof. We even had 26,000 fans on Thursday night to JSU vs txsu. That year all games no matter who was the opponent where we'll attended. So all the ones saying JSU couldn't survive because the fans wouldn't support a non-hbcu speak for your school because us JSU fans just enjoy JSU football.

People are forgetting scheduling for all other sports outside of football.

Another thing people are forgetting about are facilities and athletic department infrastructure (staffing, etc.).

You have to factor in expenses coming from scheduling (and potential conference home), along with having the proper facilities to maximize revenue in the present and future ... along with having the infrastructure to handle all aspects of an FBS athletics department (APR, training staff, secretaries, etc.).

Reactions: JR
ULM has survived years with horrible attendance in all sports, so one can't count attendance in an attempt to move up. The real question should be does a school have the donors to maintain at the FBS level during low attendance years?
ULM is barely surviving. They are doing the bare minimum to be FBS.

I think he may have used a previous year's info.

Honestly, I have yet to see proof of any school's budget. The only thing I have seen is USA Today's NCAA finances (actual revenues and expenses) for D-I schools at the end of each school year. Budgets are projected revenues and expenses not ACTUAL. IMO, actual figures are way better than projected figures and most SWAC schools are below average when it comes to revenues and expenses in FCS with more than 50% of their athletic revenue coming from subsidized funds. As I previously stated, there's only ONE HBCU that is below 50% when it comes to subsidized funds for athletic revenue.

Last edited:
People are forgetting scheduling for all other sports outside of football.

Another thing people are forgetting about are facilities and athletic department infrastructure (staffing, etc.).

You have to factor in expenses coming from scheduling (and potential conference home), along with having the proper facilities to maximize revenue in the present and future ... along with having the infrastructure to handle all aspects of an FBS athletics department (APR, training staff, secretaries, etc.).

This is why none of us are close. Even bottom of the barrel FBS schools are 20+ years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure alone.

ULM is barely surviving. They are doing the bare minimum to be FBS.

ULM is now getting alot of backing frem Centurylink and other money folks in Monroe. The raised 5 million dollars in a month from 58 donors giving no less than 100k to pay for their new fieldhouse.

JSU enrollment might see a dip after new admission standards are implemented at Grambling and SU. JSU got a lot of students from Louisiana that couldn't get into Grambling or SU. Losing Louisiana kids to Texas Southern, PV, Alcorn and JSU was apart of the reasoning for changing admission standards at Louisiana HBCUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back