Interesting, but not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
......with a 28-7 loss to MTSU in 1990 and a 48-7 loss to Montana in 1989 their most recent chances. = WRONG... smh

The whole article is plagued with stupid analogies. You don't move up to FBS based on what you do in the post-season. You move up for all of the other perks. Several 0-12 and 3-9 FBS teams could be top ten FCS programs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We'd have to increase our budget and upgrade athletics FIRST. No doubt in my mind we reach 15 k students in a few years. We don't have the money in athletics to move up yet.

I was thinking about this a few days ago and what came to mind is, our president is doing a great job of growing enrollment and expanding departments that will bring much more needed money for ex: engineering dept. As a result of increased enrollment and a increase in the budget I see JSU moving up to FBS. I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA didn't try to compete with inviting Jsu once they make that move. Jsu has more FBS potential than any other HBCU. If the school and fans ever just support athletics to the fullest we would be a force in whatever conference we join. As of right now, I would like to see JSU outrightfully dominate the swac and wins 75 percent of there ooc within the next 5 years along with upgrading all sports facility while adding an indoor practice facility. JSU should launch a campaign to renovate Memorial stadium and rename it. We have the basics of FBS, we just have to customize it and fill in the holes. We are already one of the highest paid football coach in FCS. Right now JSU should focus on becoming Dominant ( powerhouse) again and I'm not talking about just falling into the swac championship and hBCU bowl but honestly earning that Right showing people that JSU can compete outside of the swac sorta like Tenn State.

I was thinking about this a few days ago and what came to mind is, our president is doing a great job of growing enrollment and expanding departments that will bring much more needed money for ex: engineering dept. As a result of increased enrollment and a increase in the budget I see JSU moving up to FBS. I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA didn't try to compete with inviting Jsu once they make that move. Jsu has more FBS potential than any other HBCU. If the school and fans ever just support athletics to the fullest we would be a force in whatever conference we join. As of right now, I would like to see JSU outrightfully dominate the swac and wins 75 percent of there ooc within the next 5 years along with upgrading all sports facility while adding an indoor practice facility. JSU should launch a campaign to renovate Memorial stadium and rename it. We have the basics of FBS, we just have to customize it and fill in the holes. We are already one of the highest paid football coach in FCS. Right now JSU should focus on becoming Dominant ( powerhouse) again and I'm not talking about just falling into the swac championship and hBCU bowl but honestly earning that Right showing people that JSU can compete outside of the swac sorta like Tenn State.
And if JSU where to move up, we just keep Su, Alcorn. We can't say all fans would be upset because there are many fans I talk to daily about JSU sports and they support such a move. I'm sure we could replace the fans we lost. Becoming FBS brings more attention a small awareness of the program so I'm sure we would gain somebody who once had no prior knowledge of JSU.

Don't take this the wrong way, but would JSU fans really support the team going 3-9 and 2-10 while playing Troy and UL-Monroe? There are success stories of schools making that move, but for every Boise State, there is an Idaho.

And if JSU where to move up, we just keep Su, Alcorn. We can't say all fans would be upset because there are many fans I talk to daily about JSU sports and they support such a move. I'm sure we could replace the fans we lost. Becoming FBS brings more attention a small awareness of the program so I'm sure we would gain somebody who once had no prior knowledge of JSU.
You're assuming that SU and Alcorn would still play you. For those games to continue, JSU would have to agree to a home-and-home series with FCS schools.

Don't take this the wrong way, but would JSU fans really support the team going 3-9 and 2-10 while playing Troy and UL-Monroe?
Your right and good point. That's why I said we need to dominate our own conference first then once and if weade the move the fans would understand that we going through a building process and realize we are j-state we are never down to long. And it's possible we might not be down to long in FBS because you'll be surprise of who would want to play ball for a and the first black FBS football team. Talent wise we should struggle to long, especially with the right coaching staff in place.

You're assuming that SU and Alcorn would still play you. For those games to continue, JSU would have to agree to a home-and-home series with FCS schools.
Or we just pay them. Think about it. JSU vs Su in Jackson can bring 50,000 fans. Us Paying them $200,000 wouldnt hurt us especially with what we would bring in. By joining FBS we would also have a chance to still increase our revenue with money games as well but that's just my opinion. I support whatever is best for my school, whether to remain FCS or join FBS.

IMHO Jackson State and Southern have the best chance in the SWAC to move up to FBS in Conference USA or the Sunbelt.

Whether other schools like what I'm about to say or not JSU and SU travels heavy!!! Secondly, their academics are on the upside which is a great PLUS.

Yea they have their problems but with the right vision, leadership, and follow thru it could happen.

Or we just pay them. Think about it. JSU vs Su in Jackson can bring 50,000 fans. Us Paying them $200,000 wouldnt hurt us especially with what we would bring in. By joining FBS we would also have a chance to still increase our revenue with money games as well but that's just my opinion. I support whatever is best for my school, whether to remain FCS or join FBS.
Yeah, that won't happen at that price. We not picking up the phone for less than $300,000, even for a fellow FBS HBCU. lol

With the right vision and leadership, anything is possible. One thing I would like to see JSU work on before exploring moving up, is making the athletic department less dependant on school funds and student fees. At least be under 50% before making that move.

Who is that invite gonna come from? You can forget ever getting into CUSA as long as USM is there. And seriously doubt ULL, ULM or South Alabama wouldn't block you in the Sunbelt.

IMHO Jackson State and Southern have the best chance in the SWAC to move up to FBS in Conference USA or the Sunbelt.

Whether other schools like what I'm about to say or not JSU and SU travels heavy!!! Secondly, their academics are on the upside which is a great PLUS.

Yea they have their problems but with the right vision, leadership, and follow thru it could happen.
I feel we missed our chance back in the 90s because we didn't have the right people in place to keep things moving forward.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
With the right vision and leadership, anything is possible. One thing I would like to see JSU work on before exploring moving up, is making the athletic department less dependant on school funds and student fees. At least be under 50% before making that move.

Wouldn't matter. They'd literally have to double their budget and the vast majority of that would be subsidized by student fees like the majority of the rest of non P5 FBS schools.

Who is that invite gonna come from? You can forget ever getting into CUSA as long as USM is there. And seriously doubt ULL, ULM or South Alabama wouldn't block you in the Sunbelt.
Yeap, because they know that would be a serious threat to them. They already lose some players to the good HBCUs, they would lose their minds if their 1 recruiting advantage(being FBS) gets taken away by one of us moving up. lol

I don't think it's because it would be a serious threat to them, it would be because they don't want anyone in the area to take recruits period. Especially considering how few there already are in states as small as MS & AL. And you're pretty much in the heart of SEC country on top of that so they really couldn't afford to lose anything else. Same way Troy and USA will never let Jacksonville State in the Sunbelt.

Wouldn't matter. They'd literally have to double their budget and the vast majority of that would be subsidized by student fees like the majority of the rest of non P5 FBS schools.
If JSU can get to about 15,000 students that might put them in the area of UL-Monroe's budget.

You never know. Can't be so quick to doubt things. You'll be surprise what whites as a whole know about certain capabilities of blacks. They just don't let us know that they know. I'm sure ULM, south Alabama and of course USM know the Finacial benefits of JSU and or SU joining the conference. Trust me I see how UL treating SU and Mississippi State booked JSU two years straight and right now almost everybody needs some extra cash so I'm sure JSU and or SU could get an invite. I bet whomsoever the Sun belt or CUSA commissioner would see J$U and $U wants to join our conference, we jus hit the lottery.

I don't think it's because it would be a serious threat to them, it would be because they don't want anyone in the area to take recruits period. Especially considering how few there already are in states as small as MS & AL. And you're pretty much in the heart of SEC country on top of that so they really couldn't afford to lose anything else. Same way Troy and USA will never let Jacksonville State in the Sunbelt.
Think about it though, Southern Miss could no longer push the whole playing on the FBS level advantage when recruiting a black player that was considering Jackson State.

If JSU calls SU for $200,000 just to travel to Jackson, you think SU wouldn't come. Come on. Lol

We wouldn't travel just to Lafayette for that amount, just check the contract from last year. Even the much criticized decision to move a home game to Jackson a few years ago netted the school more than 400K.

If JSU can get to about 15,000 students that might put them in the area of UL-Monroe's budget.
Our president Dr. Myers goal is 14-15,000 students by the end of her tenure which is 2019. She's increasing online degree offering like crazy so it's very possible and USM only has 15,000 students and in 2013 they drop to 14,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back