What is the MEAC fascination with going to the Div. I-AA playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwarmingHornet

I have a question for my fellow TSPN?ers. What is the MEAC fascination with going to the Div. I-AA playoffs? Especially, when they lose in the first round almost every year. They rarely make it to the second round and if they do, it ends right there.

It seems to that they would be better served to have a money game like a conference championship game and meet the SWAC champion in a bowl game. The bowl game could be played in a neutral city like Atlanta where both conferences has fans. This bowl could become a national event showcasing the best football that BCF could put on.

This whole thing is a no-brainer to me. But members of the MEAC would rather relegate themselves to begging the Div. I-AA officials on television, like the commissioner of the MEAC did at the Florida Classic, to let more than one team in a money-pit playoff systems that does them no good. I am rather glad that our member institutions does not fall for this fray, but rather stand as a beacon of individuality when it comes to begging the Div. I-AA officials.

I guess what brought this to my attention was when I saw that FAMU lost in the first round again to Florida International. The excuse can not be used that they had to travel to South Dakota to play the Jack Rabbits in minus forty degree weather. Yet, I can remember a MEAC poster berating TSPN?ers for desiring our member institutions to win the Black National Title, mystical is what that MEAC poster called it. Yet they have never came close to winning the Div. I-AA national title. And no the one that FAMU won twenty or thirty years ago does not apply to all the MEAC!!!

They are still stuck on beating the white boys. That means more to them than making money and national tv.

I think a good question for them to answer is "do they feel more or less respected as a conference"? Since their only motivation is to gain the respect of people who could really care less it will be interesting to see their answers.

Storm96 said:
I think a good question for them to answer is "do they feel more or less respected as a conference"? Since their only motivation is to gain the respect of people who could really care less it will be interesting to see their answers.

Storm96,

Do you think that they have the stones to anwser any of these questions?

Lewis said:
They are still stuck on beating the white boys. That means more to them than making money and national tv.

I found it rather sad that the MEAC commissoner was on a national television broadcast begging the officals of the Div. I-AA to let more than one team in playoffs. All of this could be eliminated if they chose to make money for the conference rather than get their head handed to them in a meanless playoff.

SwarmingHornet said:
I guess what brought this to my attention was when I saw that FAMU lost in the first round again to Florida International.

Just to correct you, FAMU was not in the D1AA playoffs. Hampton was selected and they lost to William & Mary 42-35.

Fiyah said:
Just to correct you, FAMU was not in the D1AA playoffs. Hampton was selected and they lost to William & Mary 42-35.

I stand to corrected. yet the MEAC's lose in the first round still prove my point. They still should consider playing that money game with the SWAC.

SwarmingHornet,

Actually, while many fans on the MEACFANS site may not support a SWAC/MEAC Heritage Bowl like event. The MEAC Commissioenr has opnly mentioned in several written reports and speaking engagements that he is interested in MEAC expansion to create a MEAC Championship Game in a warm weather city as well as post season SWAC/MEAC Heritage Bowl like event if the money is negotiated in such a format that it is substancial to the league. With SSU as a NCAA Division I AA independent, WSSU making their intentions known for NCAA Division I AA reclassification, and talks about NCCU also looking at making the reclassification move to the NCAA Division I AA level. I say look for SWAC/MEAC Heritage Bowl like event to happen in about 3 or 4 years, especially if the SWAC/MEAC Labor Day Challenge broadcast by ESPN really gains any significant momentum over the next two years.

SwarmingHornet said:
I guess what brought this to my attention was when I saw that FAMU lost in the first round again to Florida International.

I think this inaccurate point has already been cleared up.

SwarmingHornet said:
Yet they have never came close to winning the Div. I-AA national title. And no the one that FAMU won twenty or thirty years ago does not apply to all the MEAC!!!

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, someone doesn't know their sports, especially HBCU sports, history. tisk tisk :shame:

Why the SWAC, or should I say TSPN fascination with the issue of the MEAC and its participation in the 1-AA playoffs? This has to be at least the fourth time this season that I've seen such a thread on this message board. I guess what I don't understand is, what is it to you (those who pose the question)? It (the MEAC's participation) doesn't concern the SWAC at all if I'm not mistaken. So forgive me if I'm perplexed when I see this issue batted around so often on this board.

The SWAC has its priority which is crowning a conference champ and the MEAC has its priorities which are to crown a conference champ and compete for a national championship. So why don't we just see this as both conferences doing what it thinks is best for its members. Everyone happy-happy, joy-joy. Case close OK? ;)

Lewis said:

Personally I like beating the majority.

I thought we did not make any money on the SWAC championship game. And the only national TV Game benefits only Southern and Grambling.

Is this correct?

I want to go on record that I think the SWAC should be playing the D-1 AA Playoffs for a number of reasons.

1) By participating in the playoffs it removes the stigma that we can't compete with other Div 1AA teams. I believe that it would raise the level of competion and overall program administration not to just compete in the SWAC but to compete with other academic institutions that are non black but our peers. Right now our athletics are seen as less then other D1AA teams. Remember this is what drove Doug to leave. Administrators don't have to commit to really bringing a first class athletic program when all of the programs are second and third class when in comparison to other non SWAC, non MEAC schools.

2) It gives our football coaches exposure. There is no reason why that Pete Richardson has not had a chance to go and be a head coach at D1A school. I believe it is mainly because we as a league don't play outside our division. They don't give stock in the wins that he obtains.

3) Money can't be the issue. Southern and Grambling both make more money than other Division 1AA programs that have better football teams. That means that our failure as the SWAC is systematic. The only way to succeed is to be challenged. The first SWAC school that changes thier athletic system will be the univ. that dominates.

4) I think the 1AA playoffs are in their infancy in terms of exposure. As TV programming degrades and cable outlets increase, programmers need more shows. Athletics are the best show going. I see the playoffs creating a niche like arena football. We need to be involved before it is too late.

5) Let's face it, does anyone really care about the SWAC championship game.

KCPVPanther

I don't think the right conversation is talking about the MEAC losses in the 1-AA remedial playoffs. I have much respect for what they have accomplished.

However, I am of the opinion that it would make more sense for both conferences to have a post season game bowl. It would be nice if the MEAC moves to a championship game format and a post season bowl game becomes a reality.

We need to stop throwing bricks at the MEAC and visa versa. If those people want to work with us fine. If not still fine. I know it is hard not to throw bricks because of some of the rhetoric coming from their people. But, we all have thrown enough stones and it really does not solve anything. Hopefully these two commissioners get together and make some better decisons for both conferences future. The televsion deal between the two conferences for a yearly matchup is a beginning. Much more however can be accomplished. We need to push out administrators to continue working toward new and more lucrative goals.

KCPVPanther said:
I want to go on record that I think the SWAC should be playing the D-1 AA Playoffs for a number of reasons.

1) By participating in the playoffs it removes the stigma that we can't compete with other Div 1AA teams.

We don't need to go to the playoff to do that. We can schedule them in the regular season like SU vs Northwestern after 10 years, we were 5-5. But we were able to play them on equal terms (home and home). The playoffs are 1 way to do that, but there are others. By playing them in the regular season, we can get home and home, instead of always going to thei house.

2) It gives our football coaches exposure.
Not many 1AA coaches get much exposure. And us playing them ain't gonna really change that.

3) Money can't be the issue. Southern and Grambling both make more money than other Division 1AA programs that have better football teams. That means that our failure as the SWAC is systematic. The only way to succeed is to be challenged. The first SWAC school that changes thier athletic system will be the univ. that dominates.
Yes, Southern does make more money than most 1AA schools, but what does that have to do with losing some of it going to them playoffs. Now, why are we a failure??? (You said our failure is systematic)

4) I think the 1AA playoffs are in their infancy in terms of exposure. As TV programming degrades and cable outlets increase, programmers need more shows. Athletics are the best show going. I see the playoffs creating a niche like arena football. We need to be involved before it is too late.
You said it all right there, even area football can get a better deal. The Heratige Bowl had a much better TV deal than even the championship game of them playoffs. Marketed correctly, Black college football can draw a better TV deal than them playoffs.

Neither of the texas teams in the SWAC do. But, who really cares about the 1AA playoff either except for the participating schools.
I am not really anti playoffs as much I am that we can build something better, and still accomplish most other goals.
KCPVPanther

bamaSNAKE,
I see your point, but the bottom line is we need someone else to play. Ali couldn't fight himself, he needed Frazier or Foreman or Sonny Listion. Unfortunately for us, there is only 1 other D1AA Black Conference for us to play. I persoanlly said uckf the MEAC, invite the highest rated team that didn't make the playoffs to the Heratige Bowl or a 1A team (if the NCAA would let us)

The SWAC should take into consideration about dumping the SWAC Championship Game period. It would be wonderful to see SWAC back participating in 1-aa playoffs. I agree with brother KCVPANTHER: about we can compete against other 1-aa schools. This could allowed us to recruit more top-tier athletes and lured more top coaches to our schools as well.

On the hand, I believe we definitely need to post-season bowl game between both MEAC/SWAC in netural setting i.e. Atlanta, Jacksonville, Memphis, and New Orleans. Where both conferences has fans that love black college football. This post bowl game definitely need to be showed live on television network like WTBS, CSS, BFC, and Espn.. Finally and once for us will decide which conference plays most exciting football.

My opinion is that Bayou Classic and Turkey Day classic need to be move up weeks in advance.. Therefore we can see teams like a Southern, Alabama State, and Grambling contend for a division 1-aa national title. Also believe this move would give some of our coaches and the conference as whole more exspoure and visiblitiy..

Finally, It sad really that SWAC Commissioners and administors doesn't care at all about contending for 1-aa national title period. I remember my family members telling me stories how many legendary coaches i.e. Merritt, Gaither, Robinson, Carsem, Cooley, and others want to play against pwc's and beaten them on consistent basis.

Y'all can throw all the explanations out that y'all wanna, but the fact of the matter is the SWAC wants to play in a damn vacuum. We want to be in our own little world where we only play each other and claim we're the greatest after we beat up on each other. So we come up with a championship game, where we say we're trying to make money, but AIN'T NO DAMN MONEY BEING MADE!!!! What little we get ain't nothing to brag about.

We are in no position to criticize anybody's desire to play in a playoff, when our playoff record is 0-20 and then we quit going. They go because they have that competitive spirit. The desire to participate in the season ending tournament to determine the best team in the division. Nothing wrong with that.

We don't go because of our desire to make money. We about that dollar and are chasing the hell out of it. Neither one is a perfect venture. Nobody really has room to criticize the other.

Note that the SWAC has had the highest attendance since 1-AA was formed. Yet, we cannot turn that into an advantage.

If the playoffs are useless are to get the White man's repsect, why should HBCUs bother to participate in the playoffs in other sports? With the exception of basketball, I think that the percentage of Black athletes in the other sports are lower.

Anyway......

KCPVPanther said:

1) By participating in the playoffs it removes the stigma that we can't compete with other Div 1AA teams. I believe that it would raise the level of competion and overall program administration not to just compete in the SWAC but to compete with other academic institutions that are non black but our peers. Right now our athletics are seen as less then other D1AA teams. Remember this is what drove Doug to leave. Administrators don't have to commit to really bringing a first class athletic program when all of the programs are second and third class when in comparison to other non SWAC, non MEAC schools.

2) It gives our football coaches exposure. There is no reason why that Pete Richardson has not had a chance to go and be a head coach at D1A school. I believe it is mainly because we as a league don't play outside our division. They don't give stock in the wins that he obtains.

KCPVPanther

You views are the same as mine. Yet, Robber and you stated it better. Note that New Hampshire and Georgia Southern had their first round game on ESPN2 Saturday.

I will not sit here and say that the playoffs are perfect. But....

Robber said:
Y'all can throw all the explanations out that y'all wanna, but the fact of the matter is the SWAC wants to play in a damn vacuum. We want to be in our own little world where we only play each other and claim we're the greatest after we beat up on each other. So we come up with a championship game, where we say we're trying to make money, but AIN'T NO DAMN MONEY BEING MADE!!!! What little we get ain't nothing to brag about.

We are in no position to criticize anybody's desire to play in a playoff, when our playoff record is 0-20 and then we quit going. They go because they have that competitive spirit. The desire to participate in the season ending tournament to determine the best team in the division. Nothing wrong with that.

We don't go because of our desire to make money. We about that dollar and are chasing the hell out of it. Neither one is a perfect venture. Nobody really has room to criticize the other.

Some things need to be repeated.

Robber,

You're absolutely right...we gotta get out of this vacuum we operate in and back up our claims of being a top D1AA conference. But I'm NOT in favor of moving the BC or TDC from it's Thanksgiving weekend date.

If the D1AA playoffs were delayed one week, I would be willing to see the SCG eliminated so that our top team(s) could go to the playoffs. Since we play each other anyway(9 game mandate), let the best regular season record determine the conference championship.

MikeBigg said:
Robber,

You're absolutely right...we gotta get out of this vacuum we operate in and back up our claims of being a top D1AA conference. But I'm NOT in favor of moving the BC or TDC from it's Thanksgiving weekend date.

If the D1AA playoffs were delayed one week, I would be willing to see the SCG eliminated so that our top team(s) could go to the playoffs. Since we play each other anyway(9 game mandate), let the best regular season record determine the conference championship.

Well said, Mike.

BTW, congratulations on the win. Y'all outplayed and outcoached us and deserved it.

Sorry I missed y'all Friday night. I was at Neville's miracle win over St. Martinville.

MikeBigg,

I really believe that we would find another excuse not to go to the playoffs even if the NCAA would push it back a week.

I did notice that the thread starter and damn near all that support that position are from schools that can't go to the playoffs because of the date. And being shipped to Bucktussle ain't exclusive to us. Northwestern State had to take their azzes to Montana to take an azz kicking. White folk suffer, too.

Robber said:
MikeBigg,

I really believe that we would find another excuse not to go to the playoffs even if the NCAA would push it back a week.

I did notice that the thread starter and damn near all that support that position are from schools that can't go to the playoffs because of the date. And being shipped to Bucktussle ain't exclusive to us. Northwestern State had to take their azzes to Montana to take an azz kicking. White folk suffer, too.

I feel ya on the Excuses angle. I personally think our coaches are afraid of getting their azzes beat by these teams. We don't even play nearby teams in what would be good home and home matchups. Some folks always argue that "they don't bring any fans"... I say, forget about their fans what about the games that "OUR" fans want to see. There are 4 Southland conference schools in the state of Louisiana that Grambling could/should play. Not all in one year, but we can do a home and home against each of them in place of the Savannah State game.

I'm all for playing a more competitive regular season schedule that includes teams from the Atlantic 10, Gateway, etc. But we definitely should be playing against the Southland Conference schools that are in Louisiana.

I am in the most agreement with Robber 's assessment. There are to many variables involved this discussion about the SWAC, MEAC, and NCAA Playoffs to have a short an concise debate and/or resolution to this particular topic.

Many of these suggestions and arguments are solid in and of themselves. But, once you apply many or all of the parameters around such suggestions and/or proposals it becomes a great deal more difficult to apply the suggestions/proposals across the board.

But, again according to articles and speeches made by the MEAC Commissioner. A MEAC Championship Game and SWAC/MEAC Bowl Game should be in existance in about 3 or 4 years.

I agree with a lot of what most have said. I would love the playoffs but not at the expense of the Bayou Classic or Turkey Day Classic. I want to participate in the playoffs but without the automatic bid I do not believe that the SWAC office will change their position. The SWAC has to get an at large bid in order to participate in the I-AA playoffs. The SWAC is one of the lowest rated conferences in I-AA, and even the top teams in the SWAC that almost go undefeated are not ranked high enough in the computer polls and indexs or whatever they want to call them to be choosen to participate in the playoffs. I do think the committee would select the SWAC Champion to participate but not every year, which is where I believe the problem starts at the SWAC office. We would have to change our long standing traditions which came before I-AA existed in order to participate in something where it is not a given we will even be allowed to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back