Was this racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J4L you have to realize some people go around looking for anything to hate their own race. Even during slavery some of the slaves told on other slaves trying to escape because they didn't want to mess up what they thought was a good thing.
and that mentality is STILL prevalent today.

J4L you have to realize some people go around looking for anything to hate their own race. Even during slavery some of the slaves told on other slaves trying to escape because they didn't want to mess up what they thought was a good thing.

Yep...sounds like Fiddler fussing at Kunta for wanting to escape.

Not saying I agree with J Rob, but what would you say if Tom Joyner did do something like this?

Not saying I agree with J Rob, but what would you say if Tom Joyner did do something like this?

I'd say fire his tale also. See that's the difference between Chris Rock and Tom Joyner. Tom gets paid to do a radio show, Chris gets paid to make people laugh at anything. Jokes being told are one thing, a radio listening audience is another.

Would the black asst coach who ratted Pokey out fit this description?

a white man calls an entire basketball team some nappy headed hoes and we're sensitive? and that's a bad thing, that me as a black woman is upset about that, huh?

It's okay to be upset and rightly so.

However, what I saying is that, most of us "personalized" what Imus said.
It was clear that he was speaking about the Rutgers women players, not Tennessee's players, not Black women as a whole, not Black men.
Many of us however, took it as if he was talking about the race as a whole.
That's what the uproar is really about, plain and simple.

I'm just saying that WE, as Americans better be careful what we wish for.

If this man, Imus is fired over this thing, it's open season on journalists who may slip up and say something which could perhaps be construed as racist, even though they had not a racist bone in his/her body.

There goes their job, there goes a great journalist, be he/she Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, etc, and for what?
Because we THOUGHT, he/she was being a racist, without ever being able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that that person was a racist.

This is a slippery slope that must be straightened out before it gets any worse.

Only God knows a person's heart and mind. If we think we do, are we playing God?

It was clear that he was speaking about the Rutgers women players, not Tennessee's players, not Black women as a whole, not Black men.

If this man, Imus is fired over this thing, it's open season on journalists who may slip up and say something which could perhaps be construed as racist, even though they had not a racist bone in his/her body.

There goes their job, there goes a great journalist, be he/she Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, etc, and for what?
Because we THOUGHT, he/she was being a racist, without ever being able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that that person was a racist.

This is a slippery slope that must be straightened out before it gets any worse.

Only God knows a person's heart and mind. If we think we do, are we playing God?
I don't see it as a Rutgers only statement...he called them nappy headed hoes. What part of that statement, are you NOT getting? He is referring to black women. There's no other way to spin this, JayRob.

You are funny dude. You got a thousand excuses for supporting this white man.

First of all, air personalities have FCC rules and regulations that they must follow, or they're fined and/or fired, in some cases.

Calling a women's basketball team, full of black women a bunch of nappy headed hoes is against FCC regulations.

Please show me that rule. There are rules against nudity and profanity, but there are no rules pertaining to the comments made by Imus.

Now, there are unwritten rules of common decency and respect, but according to Mr. Powell, the FCC does not regulate language of that sort.

The owners and sponsors have to regulate themselves.
Correct me though, if I'm wrong about this.

Please show me that rule. There are rules against nudity and profanity, but there are no rules pertaining to the comments made by Imus.

Now, there are unwritten rules of common decency and respect, but according to Mr. Powell, the FCC does not regulate language of that sort.

The owners and sponsors have to regulate themselves.
Correct me though, if I'm wrong about this.
He's considered an on-air personality, so they do have FCC rules & regulations to follow. It's the same for folks in radio and tv.

Now, it's you labeling ME, someone of your own race, simply because I have a difference of opinion. What does that make you?
Does that mean that you hate all Black people because you disagree with me?

Man, you're going way out in left field. Let's stay on the issue at hand, and quit attacking the messenger and just take time to listen to what I'm saying, just as I'm listening to what you're saying.

You are funny dude. You got a thousand excuses for supporting this white man.

From my perspective I don't think J Rob is supporting Imus. I think he's only saying the minute the white man says something bad about black folk everyone gets in a uproar. Black folk say derogatory things towards other black folk everyday and it is deemed acceptable.

Now, it's you labeling ME, someone of your own race, simply because I have a difference of opinion. What does that make you?
Does that mean that you hate all Black people because you disagree with me?

Man, you're going way out in left field. Let's stay on the issue at hand, and quit attacking the messenger and just take time to listen to what I'm saying, just as I'm listening to what you're saying.

Guilt getting to you huh? Just like Imus I didn't name anyone. I just made a general statement. I guess I'm wrong since I'm black though. I get it.

Cee, just leave it alone...I think we proved our points, in this thread and others.

We have a very looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnng way to go, as a people and the proof is right in this thread.

Cee, just leave it alone...I think we proved our points, in this thread and others.

We have a very looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnng way to go, as a people and the proof is right in this thread.

What are some of your suggestions to help make this a short way to go?

Man, some of you all need to read "Roots" by Alex Haley.
It won't matter...they'll still defend folks til no end...no matter the case. We're just suppose to sit back and take all this mess and say nothing. That's the more politically correct thing to do.

I'd say fire his tale also. See that's the difference between Chris Rock and Tom Joyner. Tom gets paid to do a radio show, Chris gets paid to make people laugh at anything. Jokes being told are one thing, a radio listening audience is another.

If anyone of yall ever watched the show on a consistent basis, like I have, it's simply an ENTERTAINMENT show with morning news mixed in with a few guests.

This guy is an entertainer. I don't know why anyone is all of a sudden taking what he says as truth.

This guy is paid to make people laugh at religious jokes, political jokes, racial jokes, sexual jokes and the like. That's what he's PAID to do.
It's his job. If it wasn't his job, MSNBC would've fired him a long time ago.

Again, this sensitivity stuff is ......!

If anyone of yall ever watched the show on a consistent basis, like I have, it's simply an ENTERTAINMENT show with morning news mixed in with a few guests.

This guy is an entertainer. I don't know why anyone is all of a sudden taking what he says as truth.

This guy is paid to make people laugh at religious jokes, political jokes, racial jokes, sexual jokes and the like. That's what he's PAID to do.
It's his job. If it wasn't his job, MSNBC would've fired him a long time ago.

Again, this sensitivity stuff is ......!

To me, Imus reminds me of that comedian on Seinfield that went crazy during his comedy show. And he was paid to make people laugh the same way.

I don't see it as a Rutgers only statement...he called them nappy headed hoes. What part of that statement, are you NOT getting? He is referring to black women. There's no other way to spin this, JayRob.

Ain't nobody trying to spin nothing. As a matter of fact, you're spinning it more than I am. If you'd listen to the clip again, he clearly said RUTGERS women.
It's you who've personalized this thing as meaning that he called YOU a nappy headed ho.

Ain't nobody trying to spin nothing. As a matter of fact, you're spinning it more than I am. If you'd listen to the clip again, he clearly said RUTGERS women.
It's you who've personalized this thing as meaning that he called YOU a nappy headed ho.
as a black woman, I sure have personalized it. You got that right...:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back