UNLV will host Jackson State and its marching band to kick off football season

BG

Rebels will host Jackson State and its marching band to kick off season

By Taylor Bern
Mon, Feb 8, 2016 (7:30 p.m.)

UNLV football will open the 2016 season at home against Jackson State University, it was announced today. Equally important for entertainment purposes, Jackson State is bringing its marching band, too.

The game, which will be played on Thursday, Sept. 1, at Sam Boyd Stadium, is a special partnership between UNLV and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. Jackson State will receive $600,000 for making the trip, according to the Clarion-Ledger. However, that does not include travel costs for its famed marching band, the Sonic Boom of the South, or the cheerleaders and dance team, the Prancing J-Settes.

“We wanted our season opener to stand out as we celebrate the program that head coach Tony Sanchez is building here, and this will be more than just a game, it will be a party,” UNLV Athletics Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy said in a statement. “UNLV is excited to help the LVCVA promote our community through helping us bring in a historic FCS program.”

The Jackson State marching band and dance team will appear at a public pep rally and other events surrounding the game in Las Vegas.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2016/feb/08/rebels-will-host-jackson-state-and-its-marching-ba/

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ficially-announces-2016-opener-unlv/80034342/

Last edited:
May have to make that trip over from L.A. to see this game. An excuse to go to Vegas is never needed though. LOL.

I would love to see a HBCU game there again like when we played A&T in 2003. That was a fun weekend. JSU peeps should definitely try to make this game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
May have to make that trip over from L.A. to see this game. An excuse to go to Vegas is never needed though. LOL.

I would love to see a HBCU game there again like when we played A&T in 2003. That was a fun weekend. JSU peeps should definitely try to make this game.

3 pm on a Thursday in Vegas Nah....I will pass..

That's What I am saying. I wanted to make this trip. I was just hoping they would have kept the game on a Saturday! Hopefully, I will be able to watch from home.

Isn't this the Thursday before Labor Day weekend? Just take Thursday and Friday off. Fly out on Wednesday evening. Make a long weekend out of it. Still can get back home on Sunday or Saturday late and enjoy the holiday. But that's just me. I know Thursday is not ideal. But it's Vegas man. LOL. Although it will be hot as fish grease out in the desert at 3 pm.

Isn't this the Thursday before Labor Day weekend? Just take Thursday and Friday off. Fly out on Wednesday evening. Make a long weekend out of it. Still can get back home on Sunday or Saturday late and enjoy the holiday. But that's just me. I know Thursday is not ideal. But it's Vegas man. LOL. Although it will be hot as fish grease out in the desert at 3 pm.

Lol.. I understand. But my Job requires me to be here the first 7 Work days of the month. Month end Close. Its going to be hard trying to get my Supervisor to give me the first two work days of the moth off.

Didn't see where they determined a time for the game yet.

3pm in September in Vegas would be brutal... but hell it's STILL Vegas LOL

Lol.. I understand. But my Job requires me to be here the first 7 Work days of the month. Month end Close. Its going to be hard trying to get my Supervisor to give me the first two work days of the moth off.

I understand. You must be in Finance/Accounting?. Man yall be have some brutal hours on Month end close.

Making plans already! should be a fun trip.

"Kickoff time and TV information for all games will be determined at a later date." - hopefully they'll change the time.

They need to make it 5 PM.. that will be 7 PM in Jackson.. but the rumor is that they are trying to get the game on ESPN. If thats the case, that's probably why they want to give us the early time slot... :(

...and JR, JSU fans don't do Thursday... lol We didn't even go to New Orleans on a Thursday so they can cancel Christmas on a bunch of us going on a Thursday. That just killed all of the excitement.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm definently going. I'm staying until sept 7th then going straight to MEMPHIS 4 The Southern Heriatge Classic. I plan my vacation around JSU football. Go tigers and there were many tigers going before this thursDay thing. I know it will be hard to take off a wednesdaythursday and Friday for most especially since most would rather take off the following week for the classic. I think that's why they are emphasizing the sonic boom, so that will help draw people in that area. I'm hearing the boom will perform at a pep rally, parade and a pregame pep rally. Already hearing big talk from the Dallas alumni chapter and also the los angelos alumni chapter is throwing a tailgate for all tigers. Unlv fans seem to be nice people, I've had about 4 invites to tailgate with them already on Twitter. One reason unlv wants it on tv so between the Las Vegas convention bureau and the tv deal will offset some of the cost of the $600,000. You can bet they bargaining also lol

Last edited:

That 03 trip was legendary lol. Folks still talking about that one. Louisiana was deep. It was a fight weekend also, Sugar Shane Mosley and Pretty boy, forgot his name. All of BR was in Vegas that weekend lol.

That 03 trip was legendary lol. Folks still talking about that one. Louisiana was deep. It was a fight weekend also, Sugar Shane Mosley and Pretty boy, forgot his name. All of BR was in Vegas that weekend lol.

Oscar Del a hoya

That was a great trip. Labor Day weekend. The fight. Game between two good teams that year. A&T had that DB/KR that got drafted. They were ranked when we played them. We whooped that ass. Jamal George coming out party. The strip was buzzing.

I believe the player from A&T was Curits Deloatch who end up playing for the Saints and I think the Giants. I remember Westbank Jamaul George. He had that one handed int in that game vs A&T.

Back