UNLV will host Jackson State and its marching band to kick off football season

Rebels will host Jackson State and its marching band to kick off season

By Taylor Bern
Mon, Feb 8, 2016 (7:30 p.m.)

UNLV football will open the 2016 season at home against Jackson State University, it was announced today. Equally important for entertainment purposes, Jackson State is bringing its marching band, too.

The game, which will be played on Thursday, Sept. 1, at Sam Boyd Stadium, is a special partnership between UNLV and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. Jackson State will receive $600,000 for making the trip, according to the Clarion-Ledger. However, that does not include travel costs for its famed marching band, the Sonic Boom of the South, or the cheerleaders and dance team, the Prancing J-Settes.

The Jackson State marching band and dance team will appear at a public pep rally and other events surrounding the game in Las Vegas.

How can you make the band appear at a public pep rally and other events and not pay for their travel?
That has got to be a good cut of that 600K to pay for travel cost for a band that size. Hopefully they are getting something from the LV Convention Bureau for this.

How can you make the band appear at a public pep rally and other events and not pay for their travel?
That has got to be a good cut of that 600K to pay for travel cost for a band that size. Hopefully they are getting something from the LV Convention Bureau for this.

I think they have a deal outside of that 600k Fiyah. The article said the 600k amount doesn't include the travel expense for the Boom, cheerleaders, and jsettes.

The band cost is separate which makes this a great deal because athletics will have a $600 k payout and band cost will be separate. Good for the Boom because they won't have to incur any cost to move that massive unit. I would play all over Vegas if I'm them.

Good (all around) recruiting trip for JSU in an area lacking of HBCUs. With all the press and stuff on social media that SU and Grambling got last year, I expect more SWAC schools to do this with the 4 (or 5) OOC games in 2017.

I would go just to enjoy Vegas. I'm not paying money to an FBS School to help with their Athletic Budget.

Besides let's be Honest: JSU's First Game wil always be in Memphis (unless an OOC FCS HBCU like FAMU, Hampton, etc is scheduled).

When will we as HBCUs wake up to the scam of these FBS Money Games? If the U.S. Government is operating in a Deficient, why do we think our Athletic Departments will ever operate in a Surplus?

That was a great trip. Labor Day weekend. The fight. Game between two good teams that year. A&T had that DB/KR that got drafted. They were ranked when we played them. We whooped that ass. Jamal George coming out party. The strip was buzzing.

It was a buzz in the air?

I would go just to enjoy Vegas. I'm not paying money to an FBS School to help with their Athletic Budget.

Besides let's be Honest: JSU's First Game wil always be in Memphis (unless an OOC FCS HBCU like FAMU, Hampton, etc is scheduled).

When will we as HBCUs wake up to the scam of these FBS Money Games? If the U.S. Government is operating in a Deficient, why do we think our Athletic Departments will ever operate in a Surplus?

Maybe get Howard to come to Vegas and play J-State?

It was a buzz in the air?

Folks were all over. Yeah it was a buzz in the air because of the fight and then all the folks in town for the game. NC A&T and SU folks were all over. Seemed like the Jag Nation had prepared for that trip. Alot of the West Coast Jags from San Diego, L.A., Bay Area who don't see SU play that often showed up big time. I saw folks I had not seen in years at that game.

Alot of activities going on that weekend for all age groups.

Fiyah, it was just poor journalism. Something like our resident journalist. Some people just are not that good. They were just TRYING to say that the football team gets the $600K. The band gets their own payment.

Folks were all over. Yeah it was a buzz in the air because of the fight and then all the folks in town for the game. NC A&T and SU folks were all over. Seemed like the Jag Nation had prepared for that trip. Alot of the West Coast Jags from San Diego, L.A., Bay Area who don't see SU play that often showed up big time. I saw folks I had not seen in years at that game.

Alot of activities going on that weekend for all age groups.
Man it was folks every where. There were even buses from that went, ain't no way in hell though. They left Wednesday morning lol. I know people that ride one of the buses. It was hell getting a flight. All the direct flights were sold out. I know folks that flew from NO, to NC, To NY, To Detroit, to Vegas lmao. Glad I purchased my flight early.

Right. 3 in the afternoon in the desert. I'm swinging into Jackson for SU and Homecoming in October, and flying out to Dallas for a Cowboys game in Sept., so that's all the fun I'm allowed to have in one season. But anyone going to Vegas better find some JSU wife-beaters or something. It's gone be hot af.

I'm not sure what Im gonna do yet.. had the game been on Saturday, it was a 75% chance of me going just to hang out w my frats who live in Cali. But now that it's on Thursday, I just don't know. I know a lot JSU peeps that I hang with who are going but they all live down south and they have more flexibility than me with the rest of the schedule. I want to make it back to Memphis one day.. I haven't gone to SHC since 2002.

Im def doing Homecoming, SU, and GT vs Clemson.

The band cost is separate which makes this a great deal because athletics will have a $600 k payout and band cost will be separate. Good for the Boom because they won't have to incur any cost to move that massive unit. I would play all over Vegas if I'm them.
No, band comes out of the $600,000. So JSU will net around $250-$300k. Team is flying at $91,000 round trip airbus319 and band looking at $110,000 for cline tours. ClinE tours is $1500 a day plus $500 a day for second driver and $750 a day for third driver times 5 days times 8 buses. Hotel for band for three nights would be $36,000 and $10,000 for football team and total is $247,000 not including food for neither auxiliary.With that in mind, seems like a not so good deal especially when they could have had a home game and made $300k with 20,000 people at $15 not including parking and concession.

No, band comes out of the $600,000. So JSU will net around $250-$300k. Team is flying at $91,000 round trip airbus319 and band looking at $110,000 for cline tours. ClinE tours is $1500 a day plus $500 a day for second driver and $750 a day for third driver times 5 days times 8 buses. Hotel for band for three nights would be $36,000 and $10,000 for football team and total is $247,000 not including food for neither auxiliary.With that in mind, seems like a not so good deal especially when they could have had a home game and made $300k with 20,000 people at $15 not including parking and concession.

LOL.. you came with the numbers.

However, JSU nor any school would make $300K off 20K fans at $15. Game day expenses would be about $150K. Games are not cheap to host. I think people keep forgetting that. If we need $250-300K, that's still good.

However, I don't agree with playing money games. I would only go to kick it with friends in Vegas...

Rebels will host Jackson State and its marching band to kick off season

By Taylor Bern
Mon, Feb 8, 2016 (7:30 p.m.)

UNLV football will open the 2016 season at home against Jackson State University, it was announced today. Equally important for entertainment purposes, Jackson State is bringing its marching band, too.

The game, which will be played on Thursday, Sept. 1, at Sam Boyd Stadium, is a special partnership between UNLV and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. Jackson State will receive $600,000 for making the trip, according to the Clarion-Ledger. However, that does not include travel costs for its famed marching band, the Sonic Boom of the South, or the cheerleaders and dance team, the Prancing J-Settes.

“We wanted our season opener to stand out as we celebrate the program that head coach Tony Sanchez is building here, and this will be more than just a game, it will be a party,” UNLV Athletics Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy said in a statement. “UNLV is excited to help the LVCVA promote our community through helping us bring in a historic FCS program.”

The Jackson State marching band and dance team will appear at a public pep rally and other events surrounding the game in Las Vegas.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2016/feb/08/rebels-will-host-jackson-state-and-its-marching-ba/

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ficially-announces-2016-opener-unlv/80034342/

With the bands travel costs and such not included, in there means that the boom cheerleaders and jsettes are not in the deal making it another deal, if they are doing 2+ things down there in Vegas for the game. It is unlikely that the boom will dive almost 23 hours to go to Vegas, unreal. They would fly and get 8 buses(approved before they go) when they get there. Then hotel, that's like 42,000 at the most. The buses, 24,000 for the weekend. And food at a fast food restaurant 12$ meal for lets just say 320+ people 3,280 dollars, air fair for 320+ people 85000 to 100000, so IF the band is the football teams deal, then the football team would have 430,720

With the bands travel costs and such not included, in there means that the boom cheerleaders and jsettes are not in the deal making it another deal, if they are doing 2+ things down there in Vegas for the game. It is unlikely that the boom will dive almost 23 hours to go to Vegas, unreal. They would fly and get 8 buses(approved before they go) when they get there. Then hotel, that's like 42,000 at the most. The buses, 24,000 for the weekend. And food at a fast food restaurant 12$ meal for lets just say 320+ people 3,280 dollars, air fair for 320+ people 85000 to 100000, so IF the band is the football teams deal, then the football team would have 430,720
I was about to say, driving all the way to Vegas with that many people would be horrible.

LOL.. you came with the numbers.

However, JSU nor any school would make $300K off 20K fans at $15. Game day expenses would be about $150K. Games are not cheap to host. I think people keep forgetting that. If we need $250-300K, that's still good.

However, I don't agree with playing money games. I would only go to kick it with friends in Vegas...
my brotha is a pilot , he gave me the insight on how the flight would go. JSU would charter a plane for the football team. The airline would base the price off fuel which is going for $6.73 a gallon and hours and the price I said was in regards to it being a Airbus 319. Also my mom works for cline that's how I got those numbers.

Antonio Morales, JSU beat writer said the band is not flying.

my brotha is a pilot , he gave me the insight on how the flight would go. JSU would charter a plane for the football team. The airline would base the price off fuel which is going for $6.73 a gallon and hours and the price I said was in regards to it being a Airbus 319. Also my mom works for cline that's how I got those numbers.

Do you know what you just caused? LOL

Back