SWAC Realignment 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBSwag77

SWAC East: AAMU, ASU, FAMU, JSU, MVSU
SWAC West: Alcorn (furthest west in MS), SU, GSU, UAPB, PVAM, TXSO

This creates an opportunity for the SWAC to go after one more eastern school without having to move another MS school to the west. Logical candidates would be Bethune, SCSU, TSU (long shot), or a GA school.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Even if Alcorn stays East, eventually an East team will have to move if a SCSU or Bethune joins

Correct which is why everyone keeps sayng Alcorn will go to the West since they are farther west than Valley (assuming they keep the East/West format). Any of the rumored teams that comes after FAMU (BCU, sCSU for sure, maybe TSU, Albany, Miles) are all east and would force Alcorn to go west

Even if the SWAC explored North/South (including FAMU), Alcorn would have to move since they are further south than Grambling (and I know Grambling wouldn't go for SU rolling off their schedule lol)

"North":

UAPB
AAMU
Valley
JSU
ASU

Grambling

You just get rid of the divisional format and go with the BIG10 model when they had 11 teams (after Penn St joined). They played a 8 game conference schedule with teams rotating their schedule. If they want to keep the SCG, you go with the top 2 teams at the end of the season playing for it.

You just get rid of the divisional format and go with the BIG10 model when they had 11 teams (after Penn St joined). They played a 8 game conference schedule with teams rotating their schedule. If they want to keep the SCG, you go with the top 2 teams at the end of the season playing for it.
I agree

Dropping divisions is a logical option. But everyone will hate it the first time Grambling and SU end up playing a back-to-back ( Bayou then SCG).

Last edited:
Dropping divisions is a logical option. But everyone will hate it the first time Grambling and SU end up playing twice ( Bayou then SCG).

It's no difference than when SU and Alcorn played twice in the SCG. The only thing is you would get the SCG on their campus and not in New Orleans.

That’s basically what we did in the MEAC before SSU and Hampton left...now the schedules are all jacked up and we’re traveling to North Carolina twice within three weeks of each other

I honestly prefer the divisional format

Leave the East division alone and add FAMU to it. It will provide some travel relief to East schools like AAMU, who always gets screwed by the SWAC schedulers making us travel to Texas or Louisiana twice every year.

Add in a 12th member like TnSU, and then talk to me about conference realignment.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Leave the East division alone and add FAMU to it. It will provide some travel relief to East schools like AAMU, who always gets screwed by the SWAC schedulers making us travel to Texas or Louisiana twice every year.

Add in a 12th member like TnSU, and then talk to me about conference realignment.

Since you must play an eight-team conference schedule, you have NO CHOICE but to travel to Louisiana, Texas or Arkansas 2 to 3 times per year.

Please let us add a 12th team, it makes scheduling so much easier. Plus it avoids a messy tie-breaker situation.

Imagine 3 teams going 8-0 because it just happened to be a season where they didn't play each other.

Last edited:
Since you must play an eight-team conference schedule, you have NO CHOICE but to travel to Louisiana, Texas or Arkansas 2 to 3 times per year.
That's not what I'm saying. Last year Alabama A&M traveled to Louisiana twice to play GSU and SU. This year, we have to travel to Texas to play both TxSU and PV. That's bad scheduling! Especially considering that that's even with Western opponents rolling off with the 8-game format.

Let AAMU stick to playing East foes (ASU, Alcorn, FAMU, JSU, and MVSU) every year, and then play 3 teams from the West. Hopefully that will fix this La.-Tx two-step we're having to do every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back